[Resurrected] Garrick general news thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Keep in mind Garrick did play centres as a junior and was still a centre at Illawarra also, before transforming to wing at Manly.
He did have a crack there early at Manly and was ordinary, but he is close to the most improved overall player in the NRL, so well worth a shot, though in a perfect world I prefer him staying on the wing, with his great early carries after opposition deep kicks easily Manly's best by a way and has turned into a great all round finisher.
Wing is in many ways as important and at times more so, than a centre in the modern game.....many are still caught up with the old day's where a winger was a fast bloke who couldn't tackle who just caught the ball in open spaces and scored the tries, wingers today can totally change momentem of a contest and aften do.

I understand that they have pumped ferro cement into his skeletal frame. They’re not sure as yet what impact that might have on his speed.
Dad joke alert. (its been a long week :()
Well @Terry Zarsoff we have always wanted him to harden up
Stand-Up Lol GIF by Muppet Wiki

Garrick was a solution to Manly’s and Knights’ No.1 dilemmas. He has another plan for his career​

Manly star Reuben Garrick has opened up on his positional switch after turning down an offer to play fullback at the Knights to re-sign with the Sea Eagles long-term.
The Knights wanted Garrick to play fullback to allow Kalyn Ponga’s switch to five-eighth, but he ultimately chose to re-sign with Manly on a four-year extension through until 2027.

“Always my first option was here at Manly and the Knights liaised with my manager a bit there and gave me an option there in Newcastle,” Garrick told foxsports.com.au.

Full story link...

Garrick was a solution to Manly’s and Knights’ No.1 dilemmas. He has another plan for his career​

Manly star Reuben Garrick has opened up on his positional switch after turning down an offer to play fullback at the Knights to re-sign with the Sea Eagles long-term.
The Knights wanted Garrick to play fullback to allow Kalyn Ponga’s switch to five-eighth, but he ultimately chose to re-sign with Manly on a four-year extension through until 2027.

“Always my first option was here at Manly and the Knights liaised with my manager a bit there and gave me an option there in Newcastle,” Garrick told foxsports.com.au.

Full story link...

“I definitely want to switch to the centres,” Garrick said.

Bye bye Parker and Harper.

Good interview with Garrick, who always seems like the kind of quality person we want at the club. This was interesting to me:

Garrick believes the new coaching set-up has given a voice to some of the younger players in the squad and that is creating great depth and competition for spots.

“It is probably the complete opposite end of the spectrum with Des and Seibs,” Garrick said.

“Seibs has been really good in that we have quite a young squad this year and he has brought a lot of the young boys up and everyone has more of a voice in the team now.

“It is pretty cool seeing some of the young fellas have a bit more of a role to play and more of a word to say in our meetings and stuff like that. He has been really good for our whole squad.

“Des and Donny Singe had their way of doing things and it is pretty cool to learn a completely different way."

Good interview with Garrick, who always seems like the kind of quality person we want at the club. This was interesting to me:

Garrick believes the new coaching set-up has given a voice to some of the younger players in the squad and that is creating great depth and competition for spots.

“It is probably the complete opposite end of the spectrum with Des and Seibs,” Garrick said.

“Seibs has been really good in that we have quite a young squad this year and he has brought a lot of the young boys up and everyone has more of a voice in the team now.

“It is pretty cool seeing some of the young fellas have a bit more of a role to play and more of a word to say in our meetings and stuff like that. He has been really good for our whole squad.

“Des and Donny Singe had their way of doing things and it is pretty cool to learn a completely different way."
Stubborn Des set in his ways, i’m glad he’s gone

things are looking up

Understandable to consider as a centre and no doubting that Reuben has some good attack but also need some good level of defence as a centre at i st grade . Just not sure if Reuben would manage that on past indications . Again , well deserved wraps for ability as a winger and all round play, good at the back but with some defensive issues . in the practical sense, is a different role required as a i st grade centre .

Understandable to consider as a centre and no doubting that Reuben has some good attack but also need some good level of defence as a centre at i st grade . Just not sure if Reuben would manage that on past indications . Again , well deserved wraps for ability as a winger and all round play, good at the back but with some defensive issues . in the practical sense, is a different role required as a i st grade centre .
Look at it this way, Al: could our defence possibly get any worse?

I like Garrick on the wing
However it may a case of improving the team overall if he succeeded at centre and a fast reliable winger does the job

I'm glad the new coaches are open to giving the young guys a chance.
Garrick into the centres with Koula would improve the attack dramatically.
Harper had four line breaks all year & Parker only one, that's just not good enough!
I am also Glad the new coach is prepared to give change a chance

Five line breaks between Harper and Parker centre pairing is not a premiership wining centre dominance, Far from it !

We can only be more dominant this season with a more dominant players

The dynamic Garrick in the centres with Koula is a breath of 4 Pines Park fresh air

Defensive lines
Game plans
and Opposition players hearts are meant to be broken

Slow Sucks and Speed Kills

AAP
AAP
FollowView Profile

Centre move unlikely for Garrick at Manly in 2023​

Story by Scott Bailey • 1h ago

Reuben Garrick's move to the centres has been put on ice as the Manly star prepares to stay on the wing for the entire NRL season.

Garrick will run out on the left wing in the Sea Eagles' season opener against Canterbury on Saturday, four months after a signing a new four-year deal with the club.

Part of those negotiations included a preference to make a switch to centre, a position Garrick grew up playing, and where he can get his hands on the ball more often.

Any chance of that happening early in the season has largely been scuttled, however, by Jason Saab's recovery from a ruptured ACL, which leaves Manly short on wingers early in the year.

There had been speculation that once Saab returned on the wing the door would open for Garrick to move to centre, but the 25-year-old said he was not expecting that to eventuate.

"Our best 13 is with me on the wing here at the moment, so that's what we'll do," Garrick , a winger in 71 of his 91 games with Manly, told AAP.

"Eventually, down the track we'll see, but I'm just doing what's right for the team and what's right for us to win and be a successful team this year.

"A lot of the boys have the same mentality this year. It's team first, that's what we're about."

Asked whether he expected to spend the whole season on the wing, Garrick confirmed that "100 per cent" was the case.

Manly currently have more depth in their centres in Brad Parker, Tolu Koula and Morgan Harper, while Garrick is the only fit and experienced winger at the club, with Christian Tuipulotu still finding his way on the right.

A centre when he played NSW Cup with St George Illawarra in 2018, Garrick has not played there for Manly since a mid-season game in his debut year of 2019.

Tom Trbojevic's injuries have, however, allowed him to play 19 games of his four years at the club at fullback, where he has been able to be more involved in attack.

While Garrick would still like to move back to centre eventually, he does now feel at home on the wing.

"You're still always learning. There are always things you learn and improve on," he said.

"With the intricacies of it, the more you develop as a player, you get more used to playing first grade, then you know what to expect.

"The hardest bit is getting used to first grade each week, rather than the positional stuff."

@skeagle

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8