Glenn Stewart

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I saw Terry Randall line against Arthur Beetson in a reserve grade match at Brookie in 1980.

For the record I never saw any boomerang throwing.

Alan said:
I remember the days when injured or suspended players came back through the reggies and had to earn their spot back.
I dont remember Gifted players like Fulton Eadie or Randall having to prove or earn their spot back . Gift is also Gifted :)

Further to my post Beetson finished his club career losing the 1980 GF with the Eels.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/features/rugby-leagues-arthurian-legend/story-e6frg6z6-1226211725868

mike walker said:
the mauler said:
How's he going to get match fit playing from the bench??
Has to start and play the 80 minutes, or close to 80 to get match fit.
May take him 4-6 weeks doing that, then he'll be right.

G'day all,I reckon your right,pretty sure they play 80 minutes in NSW cup.Like it or not Glens form when he returned from injury last year was so substandard that the previously unthinkable of criticising him, and suggesting maybe time in reserves, was being openly canvassed by many on here.As I've said before time and injury can catch up with anyone,not to mention the changing nature of the game.Realistically there is one spot up for grabs and that will be between Glen and JB if Glen does return soon, and given JB has been close to our best week in week out it would be tough to leave him out.
cheers mike

Let me get this right, you want Gift to come back in the NSW Cup?? Lol..... You're kidding right??
Maybe Brett could've come back through the reggies as well??

bob dylan said:
Further to my post Beetson finished his club career losing the 1980 GF with the Eels.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/features/rugby-leagues-arthurian-legend/story-e6frg6z6-1226211725868
Further to my post Gift is not retiring and finishing his career . Gift will slot straight in and add the extra muscle up front that we need .

BOZO said:
Alan said:
I remember the days when injured or suspended players came back through the reggies and had to earn their spot back.
I dont remember Gifted players like Fulton Eadie or Randall having to prove or earn their spot back . Gift is also Gifted :)

You're correct but mere mortals had to.

tookey said:
Alan said:

About the same time as brookie had boomerang throwing at half time

by Steve Dodd

Alan said:

So Choc back to NSW Cup as well...

Jethro said:
tookey said:
Alan said:

by Steve Dodd
Ok, Trivia q for the., er, more mature MWSE fan . . .
In what year was the boomerang regularly thrown @ half time @ FB ? Think I remember hearing that the thrower has moved on to that great tribal land in the sky.

the mauler said:
mike walker said:
the mauler said:
How's he going to get match fit playing from the bench??
Has to start and play the 80 minutes, or close to 80 to get match fit.
May take him 4-6 weeks doing that, then he'll be right.

G'day all,I reckon your right,pretty sure they play 80 minutes in NSW cup.Like it or not Glens form when he returned from injury last year was so substandard that the previously unthinkable of criticising him, and suggesting maybe time in reserves, was being openly canvassed by many on here.As I've said before time and injury can catch up with anyone,not to mention the changing nature of the game.Realistically there is one spot up for grabs and that will be between Glen and JB if Glen does return soon, and given JB has been close to our best week in week out it would be tough to leave him out.
cheers mike

Let me get this right, you want Gift to come back in the NSW Cup?? Lol..... You're kidding right??
Maybe Brett could've come back through the reggies as well??

G'day all,If you want him to play 80 minutes after 3 months out with a broken ankle it might be the kindest option.
cheers mike

EagleFromMay1967 said:
Jethro said:
tookey said:
Alan said:

by Steve Dodd
Ok, Trivia q for the., er, more mature MWSE fan . . .
In what year was the boomerang regularly thrown @ half time @ FB ? Think I remember hearing that the thrower has moved on to that great tribal land in the sky.

Who, what or where is FB?
aug08_022.gif

EagleFromMay1967 said:
Fortress Brookvale.

Last year of boomeranging was 1977 me thinks.

Was that not Steve Dodd?

No, pretty sure that we had it in the eighties or even later.

He was amazing, could get the boomerang to go around a goal post and catch it as it returned to him :)

Also had a peanut seller in the stands. We would pass the fifty cents down to the aisle, then he would toss the bag with amazing accuracy.

Something we haven't had in decades is a stray dog on the field. Always amused the Crowd as the Playets/Officials would attempt to catch it :D

Simple pleasures of yesteryear :sleepy:

HappilyManly said:
No, pretty sure that we had it in the eighties or even later.

He was amazing, could get the boomerang to go around a goal post and catch it as it returned to him :)

Also had a peanut seller in the stands. We would pass the fifty cents down to the aisle, then he would toss the bag with amazing accuracy.

Something we haven't had in decades is a stray dog on the field. Always amused the Crowd as the Playets/Officials would attempt to catch it :D

Simple pleasures of yesteryear :sleepy:

I remember the chant, "peanuts in the shell, sugarcoated, 20 cent,peanuts in the shell, sugarcoated, 20 cent"

BOZO said:
Alan said:

Never Fulton, but I do remember Eadie coming back through third grade after injury.

Just out of curiosity, how would a dog get onto Brookie anyway?

Even back in the more relaxed days, you wouldn't be able to take a puppy dog into the ground, would you??

There were always houses there, so its just a curious neighbourhood dog. There were no reinforced security gates/fences then.
The chickenwire fence was often 'breached' by enterprising local kids, plus it didn't go round the Try Stand. They just had an old guy on the Players entrance :D

I don't know if it still happens, but the gates were thrown open after half time in first grade, so anyone could stroll in, including animals :p

Yeah they were wonderful, somewhat more innocent days.

Still happens in bush footy, of course.

I hope somehow, Brookie is updated ammenties-wise though, and never, ever lost as Manly's home.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6