Grand Final Entertainment (AKA: 'The SSM Debate Thread')

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It is hard to think of them having focus groups in the days of Kevin Humphries, Arko and John Quayle. They were not perfect, but the understood the tribal nature of Rugby League and its core demographic before demographic was in the dictionary. And lest our besuited expert leaders like Greenburg, Gallop et al snigger at the old duffers; they should remember that the old guys knew how to fill suburban grounds and not have empty seats at staduims as they do now. They didn't need heritage rounds because all the teams oozed heritage. Look at the popularity of the Richmond Tigers this week in the AFL. Same team, same logo, traditional strip that has little overt sponsorship. I know the AFL itself is highly PC, yet the game appeals to its traditional core and respects them.

What worries me at the grand final if there is tension in the crowd. If a fight breaks out between two passionate yes and no campaigners. Who gets the blame? I'm sure someone will blame Tony Abbott, but if there is strife (and I hope people are respectful either way) our man Toddy should be held accountable.

A question for my conservative friends

Have you actually listened to the song or even read the lyrics?

Don't you understand, what I'm trying to say?
And can't you feel the fears I'm feeling today?
If the button is pushed, there's no running away,
There'll be no one to save with the world in a grave,
Take a look around you, boy, it's bound to scare you, boy,
And you tell me over and over and over again my friend,
Ah, you don't believe we're on the eve of destruction........
I Just like the song. Great lyrics as well .

Last edited:
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Lyrics

"Same Love"

When I was in the third grade I thought that I was gay
'Cause I could draw, my uncle was, and I kept my room straight
I told my mom, tears rushing down my face
She's like "Ben you've loved girls since before Pre-K, trippin'."
Yeah, I guess she had a point, didn't she?
Bunch of stereotypes all in my head
I remember doing the math like, "Yeah, I'm good at little league."
A pre-conceived idea of what it all meant
For those that like the same sex
Had the characteristics
The right-wing conservatives think it's a decision
And you can be cured with some treatment and religion
Man-made rewiring of a pre-disposition
Playing God, aw nah here we go
America the brave still fears what we don't know
And "God loves all his children" is somehow forgotten
But we paraphrase a book written thirty-five-hundred years ago
I don't know

And I can't change
Even if I tried
Even if I wanted to
And I can't change
Even if I tried
Even if I wanted to
My love
My love
My love
She keeps me warm
She keeps me warm
She keeps me warm
She keeps me warm

If I was gay, I would think hip-hop hates me
Have you read the YouTube comments lately?
"Man, that's gay" gets dropped on the daily
We've become so numb to what we're saying
Our culture founded from oppression
Yet we don't have acceptance for 'em
Call each other faggots behind the keys of a message board
A word rooted in hate, yet our genre still ignores it
"Gay" is synonymous with the lesser
It's the same hate that's caused wars from religion
Gender to skin color, the complexion of your pigment
The same fight that led people to walk-outs and sit-ins
It's human rights for everybody, there is no difference
Live on and be yourself

When I was at church they taught me something else
If you preach hate at the service those words aren't anointed
That holy water that you soak in has been poisoned
When everyone else is more comfortable remaining voiceless
Rather than fighting for humans that have had their rights stolen
I might not be the same, but that's not important
No freedom 'til we're equal, damn right I support it

(I don't know)

And I can't change
Even if I tried
Even if I wanted to
My love
My love
My love
She keeps me warm
She keeps me warm
She keeps me warm
She keeps me warm

We press play, don't press pause
Progress, march on
With the veil over our eyes
We turn our back on the cause
'Til the day that my uncles can be united by law
When kids are walking 'round the hallway plagued by pain in their heart
A world so hateful some would rather die than be who they are
And a certificate on paper isn't gonna solve it all
But it's a damn good place to start
No law is gonna change us
We have to change us

Whatever God you believe in
We come from the same one
Strip away the fear
Underneath it's all the same love
About time that we raised up

And I can't change
Even if I tried
Even if I wanted to
And I can't change
Even if I tried
Even if I wanted to
My love
My love
My love
She keeps me warm
She keeps me warm
She keeps me warm
She keeps me warm

Love is patient
Love is kind
Love is patient
Love is kind
(Not crying on Sundays)
Love is patient
(Not crying on Sundays)
Love is kind
(I'm not crying on Sundays)
Love is patient
(Not crying on Sundays)
Love is kind
Love is patient
(Not crying on Sundays)
Love is kind
Love is patient
Love is kind

It's funny that Abbott is so against an entertainer singing a song with a positive message about love that mentions gay but he is totally okay with you sending your infants to church and religous schools where they have a terrible history of raping children and covering it up.

On a note away from the Macklemore side of things, how the hell has this turned into such a big thing in Australia ?!?!

Over here the MPs just moved it in overnight and it was done and dusted with no complaints

Because we lack the maturity here and allowed it to be turned into a political decision rather than a human one

Its been replayed dozen of times in the last few days and hard to miss. A certain bunch of people will like it and another group will hate it. Some will be ambivalent. That's actually real diversity. Or what was called variety in the old days before "diversity" became a PC buzzword. He can sing it at the GF. It will probably become a hit again because of the fuss. But in the middle of an already divisive and sometimes violent campaign, the NRL is simply pushing an agenda that does not respect the various views out there. They knew it would be deliberately provocative because it is one of his hits. I wish the NRL followed the example of Swimming Australia and the Sydney Symphony Orchestra by not taking an official position but letting their people hold views that differ.

Most people will support Macklemore at the stadium. Those who do not will quietly disagree. A few may boo and will probably get abused and shouted down. That is how the SSM debate has gone so far anyway

One hit wonder? Geez bloke. He's one of the biggest artists on the planet. Awesome stuff from the nrl convincing him to perform here.

Over statement much! No matter what your musical tastes this bloke is nowhere near the category of "Biggest Artists in the World"! He'd battle to fill Rooty Hill RSL if the footy wasn't on!
But hey, lets just go with it for ****s & giggles!

On a note away from the Macklemore side of things, how the hell has this turned into such a big thing in Australia ?!?!

Over here the MPs just moved it in overnight and it was done and dusted with no complaints
The actual reasons is that the liberal party is a party divided. On team Abbott is all the religous extremists who have enough of a vote within the party to keep team Turnbull ( who hold a one seat majority) ****scared.
They wanted a plebasite because then the NO campagin could recieve massive funding ( which they otherwise would not have).
So the reason this hasnt just been done in parliment is because of 12,000 liberal members nation wide don't want it.

As an organization therefore, we must remain impartial. But adopting such a position carries no virtue signaling brownie points, and invites ridicule and bullying from the intolerant left. So they roll over and play nice, and in doing so, do a disservice to the values and freedoms that once made western democracies great.
Oh you must mean the freedom to colonise, to militarily and economically rape and pillage, to enslave slaughter and imprison indigenous populations? And the cherished social values that are part of that freedom - institutional racism and the inalienable right to engage in wife bashing and gay bashing.

As for the football codes supporting the yes vote, that is an attempt to distance themselves from the traditional gay bashing element in football team culture. But you know all that!

Its been replayed dozen of times in the last few days and hard to miss. A certain bunch of people will like it and another group will hate it. Some will be ambivalent. That's actually real diversity. Or what was called variety in the old days before "diversity" became a PC buzzword. He can sing it at the GF. It will probably become a hit again because of the fuss. But in the middle of an already divisive and sometimes violent campaign, the NRL is simply pushing an agenda that does not respect the various views out there. They knew it would be deliberately provocative because it is one of his hits. I wish the NRL followed the example of Swimming Australia and the Sydney Symphony Orchestra by not taking an official position but letting their people hold views that differ.

Most people will support Macklemore at the stadium. Those who do not will quietly disagree. A few may boo and will probably get abused and shouted down. That is how the SSM debate has gone so far anyway

Is the sentiment of the song that bad? Or the words?

I struggle to understand how being inclusive can be a bad thing

Oh you must mean the freedom to colonise, to militarily and economically rape and pillage, to enslave slaughter and imprison indigenous populations? And the cherished social values that are part of that freedom - institutional racism and the inalienable right to engage in wife bashing and gay bashing.

As for the football codes supporting the yes vote, that is an attempt to distance themselves from the traditional gay bashing element in football team culture. But you know all that!

You've covered just about everything there, for any debate! All you have to do is copy and paste from now on.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2