Gutherson & Knight

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Who would you have been happy to lose instead of Gutho Tom T ?
Matai our enforcer ? Hiku NZ rep ? Taufua the terror ? or the sensational Snake ?
Gutherson was signed up until the end of 2017. The same as Tom. The same as Snake and Matai. There would be money freed up when his next contract was due by snake and Matai retiring. It's a ridiculous decision to let him go, while signing Nathan Green, who dragons fans describe as rubbish.

Ok here is a question that I haven't seen asked yet.

We're being told that Gutho is being let go because there is no room in the salary cap after the recent re-signing of a couple of veterans (presumably Snake and Matty Ballin). That's fine, I can understand salary cap pressure. I don't like it, but it happens.

So, if we can't afford a player who has only played 5 NRL games.....how do we afford Will Hopoate who is a current State of Origin player and an NRL premiership winner? How does that work?? Hopoate, despite what I think of him, would command a higher salary at this point than Gutho does, yet we can't afford Gutho?

Sorry, but something about this whole deal stinks and its personally leading me to the conclusion that Hopoate being brought back and Gutho being let go has more to do with Bozo being mates with John Hopoate than it does with any salary cap BS.

Why should there be a need to lose someone when it was deemed a priority, only 6 months ago, to re signing the kid.....farking joke
Gee it's almost as though someone different is now making the calls. I am shocked. I had no idea there was any change afoot with the club.
On the other hand, I had heard of some change, now that I think about it...

• 😆
Reactions: Rex
Gutherson was signed up until the end of 2017. The same as Tom. The same as Snake and Matai. There would be money freed up when his next contract was due by snake and Matai retiring. It's a ridiculous decision to let him go, while signing Nathan Green, who dragons fans describe as rubbish.
It would have been ridiculous to lose the gun back Tom T . Gutho is a good player but he is not the beginning or the end for us . The salary cap says we cant keep them all and Manly made the right decision to keep the best in Tom.
I am not fussed , We have a strong backline and I would rather keep Guthos money to extend Knight
2016 will tell if we made the right decision feathered friend

So just for ****s and giggles I looked up promising Holden Cup players in 2013. It's a 2 part story - but none the less it's fair to say that these players that promised so much, well....not all got there (yet),

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...ke-it-big-part-1/story-fn2mcuj6-1227114699861

Point being we can't expect all good local juniors to kick on, and if we actually have 5 or 6 that we claim are superstars, well, damned if we can keep them all given that the 20 superstars here on the link aren't all superstars now

Knight's a boy himself though. He's a boy playing against boys, and he's standing out. Of course that's no guarantee that he'll excel in first grade, but if you can't see that he's got talent, then you're a very hard taskmaster Frank.
I didn't say he didn't have talent. I questioned whether he was going to be the NRL "superstar" that some have made him out to be. He would need to get some more size about him to make it as a prop in the top grade. At best I see him as a solid second rower. If he were to leave then that is what I see us losing.

Ok here is a question that I haven't seen asked yet.

We're being told that Gutho is being let go because there is no room in the salary cap after the recent re-signing of a couple of veterans (presumably Snake and Matty Ballin). That's fine, I can understand salary cap pressure. I don't like it, but it happens.

So, if we can't afford a player who has only played 5 NRL games.....how do we afford Will Hopoate who is a current State of Origin player and an NRL premiership winner? How does that work?? Hopoate, despite what I think of him, would command a higher salary at this point than Gutho does, yet we can't afford Gutho?

Sorry, but something about this whole deal stinks and its personally leading me to the conclusion that Hopoate being brought back and Gutho being let go has more to do with Bozo being mates with John Hopoate than it does with any salary cap BS.

Is hoppa definitely coming back or is this just speculation

It would have been ridiculous to lose the gun back Tom T . Gutho is a good player but he is not the beginning or the end for us . The salary cap says we cant keep them all and Manly made the right decision to keep the best in Tom.
I am not fussed , We have a strong backline and I would rather keep Guthos money to extend Knight

I can live with it as long as we ARE able to hang onto Knight for longer than 2016, as another backrower/prop is what we need. Although, if we lose both, then this club has officially bottomed out.

Honestly, is Williamie and Blair in our top 25 for next year? Who's responsible for their recruitment?
Surely if we hadn't signed these two dopes, there would be enough cap room to retain Guth.

What an absolute disgusting situation..

And how is it that the dali has stolen the cream of the crop ?

We had them BOTH re-signed. We weren't going to lose Tom if we kept Gutherson. Then we could have simply upgraded both their contracts at the end of 2017 with $ freed up by Matai, Snake and Lyon retiring. No one is annoyed because they think we chose Tom over Gutherson. But we have chosen Nathan Green over him. That will do me.

i wonder if the broncos forum posters carried on like this after wayne bennett let their young half ashley taylor go to the titans with a year to run on his contract so he had a chance of playing first grade.
i would have liked him to stay but i'd say he will be well back in the pecking order for first grade

Why should there be a need to lose someone when it was deemed a priority, only 6 months ago, to re signing the kid.....farking joke
6 months ago we didn't have a new coach for 2016 . It will be a farking joke if this new coach has a poor year like we did this year and we will be questioning every change that came with him

Clinton Gutherson–Verified account ‏@ClintGutherson

Thanks everyone for the messages.I've had many great years playing for the Eagles but now it's time to move on.Excited for the next chapter!

1:04 AM - 28 Sep 2015

The Guth on Twitter.

We had them BOTH re-signed. We weren't going to lose Tom if we kept Gutherson. Then we could have simply upgraded both their contracts at the end of 2017 with $ freed up by Matai, Snake and Lyon retiring. No one is annoyed because they think we chose Tom over Gutherson. But we have chosen Nathan Green over him. That will do me.
Nathan Green is a much cheaper option and this frees us money on the cap .

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 3 5 -55 8