Gutherson on the cheap

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I feel bad for all the clubs that lost players during the eels cap rort. They should have the players return to their previous place of employment ;)
Gutho left Manly via illegal cap money and wouldn't have the bond with his new team and coach without the dirty dollars. He should be repossessed back, and never illegally lured away again..

I feel bad for all the clubs that lost players during the eels cap rort. They should have the players return to their previous place of employment ;)
Gutho left Manly via illegal cap money and wouldn't have the bond with his new team and coach without the dirty dollars. He should be repossessed back, and never illegally lured away again..

I agree! Well whilst we know that can't happen neither can what I am about to suggest; but it'd be good if at least the cheating club had to pay the affected club the difference in contract.

So if vave wanted to stay at manly for 300k....goes to parra for 400k, parra found cheating (shock) then out with the chequebook parra and a big fat 100k cheque thanks!

Now...gutho....gone; time to cut those strings I reckon.

Hiku...I didn't mind hiku (and the fact his uncle posts...posted here) and hopefully his new coach could tell him the following:

When tackled...stop getting slowly to your knees...look desperately at the refs, and when you don't get a penalty start shaking your head then slowly play the ball.

It was the one momentum destroying galactically stupid thing he did on every tackle. However...he's gone as well.

He is a versatile all round good footy player. If snake does not get injured or any other backline player ( rare these days ) he doesnt see much firtsgrade footy at Manly as they preferred to blood Tom.

With Toovey in charge i think they would have chosen to blood Gutherson first as he was next in line ( age/development wise )

Probably opting to leave Tom in under 20's for another year.

Being guaranteed a starting spot for Parras first grade, it was a good opportunity for the club to look at him after his knee reco and to also give him more first grade experience.

In hindsight with all the experience Bozo has, for some reason he thought we would not suffer ANY back line injuries this year. This he got wrong, Matai. Lyon, Stewart normally miss 20 games between them a year.

Gutherson would have played close to 20 games this year for Manly.

This may have been a master stroke by Bob Fulton, but i believe this move has backfired.

Considering we punted Hiku ( test player ) Gutherson at least should of stayed to allow him to buiild combinations and familiarity with the Manly team.

Wright / Walker / Myles/ Brown ( stupid recruiting )

Gutherson / Hiku leaving ( stupid recruiting ) Wright + Brown played total 40 games for manly ( Gutherson + Hiku would of have covered those games )

Yes we have allegedly strengthened the forwards but overall i dont think Bozo and the club got it %100

In a results driven business it is not good enough to make such errors

Last edited:
From memory I read somewhere the equation was Dylan Walker and Kapow for gutho and hiku. Or maybe I got this wrong.

From memory I read somewhere the equation was Dylan Walker and Kapow for gutho and hiku. Or maybe I got this wrong.

How about we dont sign Nate Myles and lewis Brown and Mathew Wright

And we keep Kapow, Walker, Hiku and Gutherson

I think Dylan walker can and will be a great centre / competitor

But hes is not that good that we should drop everything and kick out Hiku and Gutherson. 2 young men Guthos / junior rep player Hiku / First choice world champion Kiwi Fullback and Centre

Tapau had another year on his contract at the Tigers ( i think ) what was so urgent for him to be immediately released and join us.

Hiku was in our system for a few years and Gutho was local kid...

Our recruitment was very rushed and not calculated

Which is not very Manly like in my opinion !

We will probably have a mean pack in the next 2 years !

But i am not going to credit Bob Fulton for this

I m confident our old football department would have developed a great pack if not better than fultons, if they were given the opportunity

Probably a better back line as well :)

This thread is garbage.

Every couple of weeks we get the same crap about we shouldn't have let Gutherson go. On the weekend, Tom T scored 3 tries and was recently mentioned as the best prospect in the game ahead of Nathan Cleary and Latrell Mitchell.

Gutherson didn't even make the list that was some 10 players long.

He threw a couple of offloads on the weekend; big deal. He is hardly reinventing the way halves play football. Next year when Norman returns he will be pushed out to the wing again and end of story.

Sure he would have been handy, but we didn't let the greatest footballer of a generation go just for a few laughs.

This thread is garbage.

Every couple of weeks we get the same crap about we shouldn't have let Gutherson go. On the weekend, Tom T scored 3 tries and was recently mentioned as the best prospect in the game ahead of Nathan Cleary and Latrell Mitchell.

Gutherson didn't even make the list that was some 10 players long.

He threw a couple of offloads on the weekend; big deal. He is hardly reinventing the way halves play football. Next year when Norman returns he will be pushed out to the wing again and end of story.

Sure he would have been handy, but we didn't let the greatest footballer of a generation go just for a few laughs.
Nah apparently he's gonna be their starting 6 I still agree with you though

playing well at 6 with a few games under his belt

This thread is not garbage... the kid is very talented \if he is not in Manly colours in 2018 when hes contract expires at the eels

i will be really dissapointed with our administrators

Last edited:
I mentioned this in another thread but the more I think of it the more i like it

Parra need to shed players and fast.

Lets try to pick up Gutherson with parra footing some of the bill

He hugely improves our depth (walking into the team atm) and slots straight into the backline next year with Tom or him playing centre and the other on the wing
You make a good suggestion. But why would our local junior want to come back after he was marched by brainless Barrett? Until we have hard nose 100% Manly people back in charge, bad times for us. We have just lost Liam Knight too.

So we bought Dylan Walker to become a 5/8 when we had one right under our noses. To be fair to Barrett & Bozo, who would have thought that a successful junior NSW and Australian schoolboys fullback could somehow become a 5/8?? Lucky we got rid of him and payed Parra to take him off our hands. BA must be pissing himself laughing at how dumb our management are. He played us like fiddles.

I wish you guys would stop reminding me of Gutherson. Its a very sore point and one I think Fulton must have had a brain explosion. What on Earth was he thinking. What on Earth is he thinking abut Knight. Come on Bob. You were my favourite players and you coached us to premierships. You're not going senile are you?

Check out Guthos Instagram. It's very depressing how it's all Manly, Manly, Manly then all of a sudden the photos change.
Thier is also the NSW and Australian junior team photos.
I had massive wraps on him after seeing him play State of Origin on a raining night at Homebush.
It's really hard to take now our season has gone so bad.

Why is it so hard to understand the thought process?

Club signs players under the mistaken belief they could get rid of players like Mateo or burgess. From memory both Marty T and Walker came a year earlier than planned

When they realise that their gamble fails, to relieve salary cap pressure, they need to get rid of what was more attractive. Now considering how we were at the start of the year (I am not sure many saw how quickly Brett declined, especially considering how strong he was for us last year) the best bet was to release gutho / hiku as, at full strength, they would not have been in first grade.

Now we all know the gamble failed and we would have loved to keep one or both but you can understand the logic in the decision making

Actually if you want to blame anyone.....blame Feleti Mateo and Luke Burgess. It was their refusal to leave when asked to last year that meant in order to sign Walker and Taupau we had to offload Hiku and Gutho.

Though as we know, Gutho was told he would probably be mostly in NSW Cup if he stayed because they wanted Tom on the wing and learning fullback from Snake (not that I am against Tom, he's been one of the few shining lights in what has been an absolute $hithouse backline this year).

Last edited:

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8