Gutherson on the cheap

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Agree horrible management, the club must have thought Matai, Lyon and Stewart would all play another 4 years. Stupid. We could have waited a year for walker and kept hiku. Gutho has no future at manly if he wants fullback that is Toms spot.

In their defence 2 of those players you mention are signed for next year and Lyon was favoured to play another year. If that had played out we would have zero room in the salary cap for a new 5/8, centre or anybody.

A decision was made that we needed to boost our forwards with Myles and Kapow.

In hindsight that same management might well make a different decision.

You can only play what is in front of you Turbo, and at the time the decision was defendable.

PS ( If Snake, Lyon, Matai, T-Turbo, Walker and Jorge are all fit, where would you play Gutho?)

Gutherson took down a running Konrad Hurrell one on one last night, so his defence isn't too bad...I'm sure he's still adapting to the rigours of 1st grade but at least he's willing to put his body on the line.

But Andrew, that wasn't a tackle, that was a crash. But did put his body on the line.

Yeah I admit it was more of a crash/bear hug type thing but he does have a go. Like you Woodsie I don't blame the club for letting him go...we can't keep them all.
Maybe he will do a Darcy and find his way back home some day.

Gutho and Hiku were in our top 25.
In their defence 2 of those players you mention are signed for next year and Lyon was favoured to play another year. If that had played out we would have zero room in the salary cap for a new 5/8, centre or anybody.

A decision was made that we needed to boost our forwards with Myles and Kapow.

In hindsight that same management might well make a different decision.

You can only play what is in front of you Turbo, and at the time the decision was defendable.

PS ( If Snake, Lyon, Matai, T-Turbo, Walker and Jorge are all fit, where would you play Gutho?)
I think your right. In hindsight the club may simply have been a little too forward focused.

With Green and AFB playing NRL when we haven't had injuries in those positions does that mean they have taken Gutho cheapo spot in the 25?

To be fair to the club, Gutho was very much an unknown commodity at the start of this year. Having done an ACL last year, Not all young kids bounce back from that. Nothing to say he won't do it again!

In Hindsight it's all easy. But plenty on here were questioning letting two young outside backs go when Both Lyon and Matai were obviously near the end.

In any event. Whats done is done. Walker was viewed as the future Hiku was not. And now we probably need to sign another good young centre for next year

And Hiku was always by far a better centre than a winger when he played for us and proved that at the Riff this year before he was injured. And for me, he was a very big lose. Would certainly prefer him over Wiliame, Wright and Brown. Surely we could have not signed those blokes and kept Hiku?

Anyway, perhaps recruitment could have also seen that Matai and Lyon were in fact getting on.....and retained Hiku for a future centre?

Anyway, whatever.........what is done is done.

And Gutho, well he is a talented young kid, but he is a worm now so that is that.

Last edited:
Honestly, every time I watch Gutherson play I just shake my head how Bozo and TB told him to leave despite having a contract.
Against the dragons tonight I just saw him set up a try with beautiful soft hands, dummy, through the line, runs out to the right and picks up the fullback trailing him.

He has the makings of a wonderful 5/8th as he has soft hands, a good passing game and can kick.

Swap Vave with Gutherson now please.

Honestly, every time I watch Gutherson play I just shake my head how Bozo and TB told him to leave despite having a contract.
Against the dragons I just saw him set up a try with beautiful soft hands, dummy, through the line, runs out to the right and picks up the fullback trailing him.

He has the makings of a wonderful 5/8th.

Hell no he is never ever going to make a good 5/8. His kicking game is non existent. Passing is good yes. But his defence is that bad positionaly wise and marking his man it's going to plague him his whole time at 6. He will make a great fullback and if parra are smart he will take mick Gordon's spot. Not a 5/8 and never will be I'd rather him playing well,at parra than him sitting in reserves. Tom is better much better not worth 100 Guthersons.

Hell no he is never ever going to make a good 5/8. His kicking game is non existent. Passing is good yes. But his defence is that bad positionaly wise and marking his man it's going to plague him his whole time at 6. He will make a great fullback and if parra are smart he will take mick Gordon's spot. Not a 5/8 and never will be I'd rather him playing well,at parra than him sitting in reserves. Tom is better much better not worth 100 Guthersons.

Are you watching the game right now against the dragons?. Kicking game is good.

Turbo, you are a clueless goose. You would rather pick Api who can't pass.
Yes I would rather Api at 6 cause this year in the halves he proved he is excellent little pivot. He won 2 MOTM awards and another close one. He has a great long and short kicking game, defence is pretty strong for a 5/8 but his passing at times is poor from hooker but at 7 he was passing well.

Very impressive in attack tonight Gutherson but if you watch like a normal footy fan you will realise all Guthersons great plays are all great attributes of a fullback or centre but maybe look away from all the fancy stuff and look at his defence it's horrible.

Against the dragons tonight I just saw him set up a try with beautiful soft hands, dummy, through the line, runs out to the right and picks up the fullback trailing him.

He has the makings of a wonderful 5/8th as he has soft hands, a good passing game and can kick.

Remember those times I insisted he would be a good 5/8?

You are right.

Turbo is just like Bozo and TB - 100% wrong :D
No I'm not 100% he has done nothing to suggest he would be a good 5/8 along side DCE, he can't control a game and would not suit DCEs game, we'd be better off with vave at 5/8. Glad we got rid of him cause he had no future at manly and when you get that through your head you will realise your an idiot for continuing to have a cry over something that has already happened.

We should never ever have got Brown, Myles, Wiliame, Wright and Winterstein of late.

Hiku and Gutho should have been kept. Hiku at centre with Walker, Gutho could play 5/8 or wing for sure.

Anyway whatever, what is done is done........! I hope we can learn from our stuff ups and improve vastly for next year.

Although when you cheat like the worms have systematically for years. Eventual you would hope that you would assemble a half decent team, like they have now, with mostly solid forwards and some great backs. (And it just makes me sick to my stomach.) Anyway, so Gutho certainly looks good in goodish pack. However in saying that I do rate Gutho and think he could have been good for us moving forward.

Our recruitment/retention in comparison has been perhaps mostly not as good. But I guess the main difference is we did not cheat.

In the case of teams that cheat, it has a definite flow on affect to the years after being caught. Example purple scum and blue and white scum. Money in brown paper bags can certainly attract and retain players and pilfer other teams.

Would not be one bit surprised if the cheating worms got a premiership with in the next three years and if they do it will be because they cheated and the NRL let it happen.

Sorry so what was the this thread about again.........lol......! @:p

Gutho, well he is gone now and that is that.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8