Hasler vs Toovey vs Arthur's

• Thread starter Deleted member 24974
  • Start date
  • We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
If Parra keep going the way they are good old BA will be back at the tigers helping Matt Cross. That will be an interesting scenario for foran.

Sheridan is right - we were an absolute disgrace in 2003 and hasler and crusher re built the playing roster from basically scratch. Max Delmege provided the funds for which we will be forever grateful and Grant Mayer did a wonderful job as CEO. This all culminated in 40-0.

Love Tooves as I do, I think only Hasler sits on that top tier of coaches which, to me, is Bennett, Hasler, Maguire, Robinson, and Bellamy. Each if these guys know what team they want, how they want them to play, and how to adjust to individual talents.
BTW, just heard that Bennett was close to going back to Sr George and wanted Dean Young as his defensive coach with an eye to him becoming head coach later. Mary has him as defensive coach and he's doing a great job. We need to look at our assistants.

Was he a turncoat ,or did he leave once the Penns wanted to take away his control of the team?
This was the start of the whole slippery slide ,The Penn's wanting control .The Penn's don't know football.
I don't think they'd be pumping money into the club if they didn't really love Manly, so they have that over Des, because the manner in which he left was disgusting and anti-Manly.

OK, the Penn's maybe aren't the smartest operators; I have a feeling after the slow start in 2009 and then the up and down 2010 where we made the finals by default (Melbourne stripped of points), the board thought that maybe Des was on the slide, and instead of wrapping him up on a big $ contract, they rested on their laurels and lost out.

However....

That does not excuse the way it all went down, with Des announcing his departure 48 hours after the GF and then attempting to poach all our players.

But did he try to poach all our players or was that a lot of that media bull$hit ?
I don't know for sure.
I think the "be Manly, don't be a dog" comment from Brett Stewart tells is it was more than media bull****.

Yep the team was very together then. Unforts that has changed.

I hate to say this but if Des hadn't done the bolt to the dogs I reckon we would have one another comp maybe two. No disrespect to Tooves as he is a legend and I love the bloke but Des is a one hell of a coach.

Des is the best of all three. Despite his defection, he did take manly to 2 GF titles, plus done it without going out and signing big names like GI or Cronk.

Des was crucial in rebuilding from the damage of the NE days. Its a shame he went and back-stabbed Manly.

Tooves I think is a solid coach, and has basically had to deal with off field garbage and players thinking there bigger than the game.

As much as I can't stand the guy, Des is the best of the 3 and by some margin too.

In Toovey's defence, the ant nesting he has had to deal with has contributed to poor on field performances.

But the effect injuries have cannot be overcome......no matter what sort of coaching genius your are.

Poor old Tooves. He has had to deal with some rubbish hey. Sh&t happens though. All of us have had jobs where stuff just goes wrong outside your control and sometimes you can't overcome it while other times you get a good run and just fly. Part and parcel of life.

Let's hope Tooves can get some luck, step up and nail this situation.

wanted Dean Young as his defensive coach with an eye to him becoming head coach later. Mary has him as defensive coach and he's doing a great job. We need to look at our assistants
Don't read too much into assistants. Wasn't the great Brad Arthur Manly's defensive coach, and credited with our good defence that year?
Funny, now he is head coach of the Eels they have let in more points than any other team. (Yep, even more than Manly!)

Forget the actual results. The main difference I see whether their teams are winning and losing is two things:

01. Passion and teamwork. Des teams always looked so focused, structured and motivated. I used to think, "well oiled machine" was appropriate. I recall Wolfman woo hooing when on the field in the 2008 GF. Tooveys teams, culture and attitude is deplorable. Laziness, non committed, no in the trenches type of attitude Des teams had.

Im ok with losing as long as the players have passion for our jersey. Tooveys doesnt, Des does - jeez look at James Graham.

02. Des turns many players from nothings to heroes. Toovey still hangs of Des coat tails, and I see noone developing into a rep player under Toovey.

And I dont mean juniors coming through. Im talking players under Toovey that have gone to a new level. Crap, even Foran / DCE have regressed.

Do u think Ryan it is strategic ability that Tooves lacks or man management and motivational skills compared to Des or both?

Do u think Ryan it is strategic ability that Tooves lacks or man management and motivational skills compared to Des or both?

I think it's man management & people skills. I also dont think he has adapted our game.

I have not heard great things, but even then Paul Stephenson told me one time the young guys got the ****s with Des because he wouldnt give them a go, so you can never please everyone.

I have never in my life seen a team so directionless...in ANY sport. It's as though they all hate each other. They all hate the coach.

We may have lost lots of games after the Northern Eagles days, and people may bag those players, but they loved the club, the fans, the jersey, each other and were passionate, so fans brought into that culture no matter the result.

Today is a complete debacle filled with apathy, shoukder shrugs and mediocrity. Just no pride or passion, and that's what drives members and sponsors away.

Sponsorship is getting back to me tomorrow (the lady was crook today) from ANZ. If they allow it, ill make that introduction I wanted to weeks ago. If I'm ignored again, honestly, im giving up, and it will be ice hockey only for me from then.

(Some people would actually prefer I do that I think - haha).

ANZ Sea Eagles. Has a ring to it ! I can only try huh ?

I have never in my life seen a team so directionless...in ANY sport. It's as though they all hate each other. They all hate the coach.

If I'm ignored again, honestly, im giving up, and it will be ice hockey only for me from then.

Lol, how about those leafs???? shanahan basically sacked everyone yesterday!

Hockey, not 'ice' hockey :p :giggle:

Game 2 playoff game this friday for me! row 3 $220 x 2. Take that ya whiny $32 brookie hill-ers!

/thread hijack

Lol, how about those leafs???? shanahan basically sacked everyone yesterday!

Hockey, not 'ice' hockey :p :giggle:

Game 2 playoff game this friday for me! row 3 $220 x 2. Take that ya whiny $32 brookie hill-ers!

/thread hijack

Ha ! My team's The Avalanche. They really came good in the second half of the season. Erik Johnson sent me a PM on twitter ! Ya, people think manly fans are passionate - how about them Leaf's fans. Credit to them though - sucking forever - but a sellout every night.

My second team in Boston bit the bullet too last game :( Crazy how LA, Boston and co. aren't even in the po's.

Ha ! My team's The Avalanche. They really came good in the second half of the season. Erik Johnson sent me a PM on twitter ! Ya, people think manly fans are passionate - how about them Leaf's fans. Credit to them though - sucking forever - but a sellout every night.

My second team in Boston bit the bullet too last game :( Crazy how LA, Boston and co. aren't even in the po's.

We know your team is the Avs.....now we know your second team is boston :tmi: that explains why you don't join us in the nhl thread!!!!

I'm going to game 2... nucks v flames on Friday! row 3 next to the bench (almost) woot!

We know your team is the Avs.....now we know your second team is boston :tmi: that explains why you don't join us in the nhl thread!!!!

I'm going to game 2... nucks v flames on Friday! row 3 next to the bench (almost) woot!

OMG you bastard !! Soooo Lucky !! I'd die to be able to watch a game of Hockey

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8