Have the front row left a massive hole??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
mozgrame said:
Stevo said:
On who the biggest wannabe is? lol

Hey Stevo, what do you make of the above post by ER? I ask because you are the Genetic Benchmark, you will know about these things. LOL

ER is right I know. I'm just having a bit of fun. I can cover a hundred meters very quickly, but would come stone cold motherless last in a marathon :(

Hahaha. Hey we are not all perfect, some of us have hidden talents that are still waiting to come out ;)

mozgrame said:
Stevo said:

Hey Stevo, what do you make of the above post by ER? I ask because you are the Genetic Benchmark, you will know about these things. LOL

ER is right I know. I'm just having a bit of fun. I can cover a hundred meters very quickly, but would come stone cold motherless last in a marathon :(

I often wonder what the person who is coming last in a marathon must be thinking.....

"I did all this training....and I'm still friggen last?" I could've done nothing ....nothing and still been in the same spot!!!"

globaleagle said:
mozgrame said:
Stevo said:

I often wonder what the person who is coming last in a marathon must be thinking.....

"I did all this training....and I'm still friggen last?" I could've done nothing ....nothing and still been in the same spot!!!"
Haha! Do you remember that nice young lady that stopped for a quick ****e in the gutter during a marathon? Pretty sure she was an Aussie. T.V cameras were on her too. LOL

Eagle Rock said:
Fluffy said:
Minimum 10,000 posts to be a mod

with a minimum 1 good one

Eagle Rock said:
maxta said:
Over the summer I as always learn how much I miss watching the mighty Seaeagles in action.
This gives time to evaluate the coming season...& as is the case in recent years I see our main goal to compete well up front & the world class backs will dominate the opposition.
Have the front rowers who have left a hole???....were Kite & Rose very good at driving us foward last year.
Kite has been great overall since signing & last season at times was in good form, but tbh I think he has lost a little of his hunger & drifts in & out of games but has been a super player since joining back with BK.
Big Rose was a deserved cult figure & though he is not the new age athletic footy build, was at times our biggest impact player changing the momentum of many games & imo, a little underrated in his time at Manly.
Gower...reliable but only a plodder who would only rate a poor mans Bryant up front.
All left on good terms but not gunna wish them well, once they leave Brooky they are the enemy imo, this was even the case with an old favourite Ronny Rambo Gibbs....though dont mind them doing well against other NRL sides.

Leaves the question - who will step up
Fa'aso though unpredictable was missing much of last season & his mongrel will be invaluable.
Lui, Starling, Andrews will battle hard for a shot & between them should create healthy competition for a crack at the top grade.
As usual my main faith is in Jake Trjobovic - I have rambled about him plenty in 2013 but he has all the attributes to become a Seaeagles legend, this kid will not let us down & will be part of the 17 imo.
Also include Sao who is a big unit who can hit & offload.
Recently the recruitment has had plenty of smarts in signings & retention & though we lost a few up front they have signed new young props & are about to blood some mass talents to give good faith in the 2014 season.
Lawrence Is the Best Prop there and has Speed as well. Trjobovic is another speedy Prop but for 1st grade I would play him Backrow, I don't think he is Big enough for a Prop, would love to see him Off Load the Ball more as he has a habit of Hogging. King could find it hard to get good game time this season, I don't rate him much as a player, he has been lucky, but is a Lovely Guy. Fa'aoso I would have coming off the bench, tough and plenty of mungrel. Symonds a great buy for Manly, a Roosters Junior he left to make way for Sonny Bill.

I wonder if you have ever seen Turbojet.

I ask this as he is HUGE!!!

First time i saw him close up was in Canberra last year during the warm up about 10m in front of us. The only bloke bigger in the starting side was Rose.

My worry is that he may end up too big but second row, well you may as well play him on the wing and move Cuthbo to centre

I know Jake well. He is 6 ft and is around 105 kilos, he is not Huge. Lol Some of the wingers in the NRL are taller and weigh more, like Greg Inglis Outside back, 6'5, 106 kilos, Lote Tuqiri, 6'3, 105 kilos, Israel Folau, 6'5, 105 kilos, most of your wingers are solid and fast, including Jared Hayne, have a look at some of the big outside backs running around in the NRL, you can't tell nowadays who are the forwards, Gutho is too light for me, don't like his physic, he finds it hard to build muscle, a couple of opposition backs will toss him like a javelin out the field. Jake has Some speed which is his gift for a forward, but he can hog the ball too much as very rarely offloads, this is the area he should practice, keeping the ball alive, there have been missed opportunities outwide at times during games, which has been missed because he hasn't passed the ball. Speed is everything in football as you either have it or not, you can build strength but not speed.

you could be right, at the start of last year he was an inch taller and a kilo heavier so he is getting lighter and shorter. This is not a good trend for a prop, however it will help him play on the wing where he doesn't need to pass so looks like smart coaching.

BJ is no good either at the same weight as turbojet

mozgrame said:
Honestly, I haven't. T.V footage can be deceptive. Do you think he could handle the front row on a regular basis?

off the bench for sure.

He will feel it throughout the year like BJ did last year but Turbo could easily handle 20 - 30 minutes a game George Rose style

Fluffy said:
Eagle Rock said:
Fluffy said:
Minimum 10,000 posts to be a mod

with a minimum 1 good one

Eagle Rock said:
maxta said:
Over the summer I as always learn how much I miss watching the mighty Seaeagles in action.
This gives time to evaluate the coming season...& as is the case in recent years I see our main goal to compete well up front & the world class backs will dominate the opposition.
Have the front rowers who have left a hole???....were Kite & Rose very good at driving us foward last year.
Kite has been great overall since signing & last season at times was in good form, but tbh I think he has lost a little of his hunger & drifts in & out of games but has been a super player since joining back with BK.
Big Rose was a deserved cult figure & though he is not the new age athletic footy build, was at times our biggest impact player changing the momentum of many games & imo, a little underrated in his time at Manly.
Gower...reliable but only a plodder who would only rate a poor mans Bryant up front.
All left on good terms but not gunna wish them well, once they leave Brooky they are the enemy imo, this was even the case with an old favourite Ronny Rambo Gibbs....though dont mind them doing well against other NRL sides.

Leaves the question - who will step up
Fa'aso though unpredictable was missing much of last season & his mongrel will be invaluable.
Lui, Starling, Andrews will battle hard for a shot & between them should create healthy competition for a crack at the top grade.
As usual my main faith is in Jake Trjobovic - I have rambled about him plenty in 2013 but he has all the attributes to become a Seaeagles legend, this kid will not let us down & will be part of the 17 imo.
Also include Sao who is a big unit who can hit & offload.
Recently the recruitment has had plenty of smarts in signings & retention & though we lost a few up front they have signed new young props & are about to blood some mass talents to give good faith in the 2014 season.
Lawrence Is the Best Prop there and has Speed as well. Trjobovic is another speedy Prop but for 1st grade I would play him Backrow, I don't think he is Big enough for a Prop, would love to see him Off Load the Ball more as he has a habit of Hogging. King could find it hard to get good game time this season, I don't rate him much as a player, he has been lucky, but is a Lovely Guy. Fa'aoso I would have coming off the bench, tough and plenty of mungrel. Symonds a great buy for Manly, a Roosters Junior he left to make way for Sonny Bill.

I wonder if you have ever seen Turbojet.

I ask this as he is HUGE!!!

First time i saw him close up was in Canberra last year during the warm up about 10m in front of us. The only bloke bigger in the starting side was Rose.

My worry is that he may end up too big but second row, well you may as well play him on the wing and move Cuthbo to centre

I know Jake well. He is 6 ft and is around 105 kilos, he is not Huge. Lol Some of the wingers in the NRL are taller and weigh more, like Greg Inglis Outside back, 6'5, 106 kilos, Lote Tuqiri, 6'3, 105 kilos, Israel Folau, 6'5, 105 kilos, most of your wingers are solid and fast, including Jared Hayne, have a look at some of the big outside backs running around in the NRL, you can't tell nowadays who are the forwards, Gutho is too light for me, don't like his physic, he finds it hard to build muscle, a couple of opposition backs will toss him like a javelin out the field. Jake has Some speed which is his gift for a forward, but he can hog the ball too much as very rarely offloads, this is the area he should practice, keeping the ball alive, there have been missed opportunities outwide at times during games, which has been missed because he hasn't passed the ball. Speed is everything in football as you either have it or not, you can build strength but not speed.

you could be right, at the start of last year he was an inch taller and a kilo heavier so he is getting lighter and shorter. This is not a good trend for a prop, however it will help him play on the wing where he doesn't need to pass so looks like smart coaching.

BJ is no good either at the same weight as turbojet

mozgrame said:
Honestly, I haven't. T.V footage can be deceptive. Do you think he could handle the front row on a regular basis?

off the bench for sure.

He will feel it throughout the year like BJ did last year but Turbo could easily handle 20 - 30 minutes a game George Rose style

Jake could play a whole game if he had to, he is fit, but hey, he is not a winger though, he is not that fast and Argillic Lol. But I think he is more of a second rower, wouldn't like to throw him straight into Prop, he will get smashed by the Big Boys and will be targeted. He has the pace similar of a Tommy Symonds. I am worried for Manly's Props throughout the season, we have so many back rowers but not enough genuine Big Ugly, mean Props. Manly should have kept Jared Waerea-Hargreaves.

Ligi Sao - 6ft 1 - 109kg. Does he have the mongrel?

Tyson Andrews - 6ft 1 - 104kg. He has a fair amount of mongrel and must be drooling at the prospect of having a chance.

What we see as a problem, Toovey may see as an exciting time. To have a number of young front rowers, all champing at the bit for a shot at a regular spot in the NRL may be a good problem to have.

mozgrame said:
Ligi Sao - 6ft 1 - 109kg. Does he have the mongrel?

Tyson Andrews - 6ft 1 - 104kg. He has a fair amount of mongrel and must be drooling at the prospect of having a chance.

What we see as a problem, Toovey may see as an exciting time. To have a number of young front rowers all, champing at the bit for a shot at a regular spot in the NRL may be a good problem to have.

These new guys will get their chance next Friday night in the trial. Lets hope we see Mongrel ;)

Fifita 6ft 4in 114kg , Tamou 6ft 4in 113kg they are the benchmarks for topline props these days.
J King 6ft 4in 111kg, Would like to see 1 more big bopper as most of the young guys we have are 3 inches shorter and 10 kg lighter to the required size.

mickqld said:
Fifita 6ft 4in 114kg , Tamou 6ft 4in 113kg they are the benchmarks for topline props these days.
J King 6ft 4in 111kg, Would like to see 1 more big bopper as most of the young guys we have are 3 inches shorter and 10 kg lighter to the required size.

I read an article written by Petero Civoniceva in March 2013 titled ; The top 5 rookie props. In his opinion, and I guess he would have some knowledge in the field, his list was ;

1. AARON WOODS (Wests Tigers) 22yrs, 6ft4, 105kgs

2. DAVID KLEMMER (Bulldogs) 20yrs, 6ft6, 120kgs

3. GEORGE BURGESS (Rabbitohs) 21yrs, 6ft4, 120kgs

4. KANE EVANS (Roosters) 22yrs, 6ft6, 110kgs

5. CALEB TIMU (Broncos) 19yrs, 6ft2, 108kgs

Given that Petero was 6ft4 and 116kgs himself, he may be a little size biased, or, he may know exactly what he's talking about when it comes to the future in props. Mickqld is on the same wavelength.

On the other hand, I was a huge fan of Joe G when he played front row. Made the yards expected and completed his share of the workload in defence. Joe is 5ft10 and 107kgs. Maybe it's not so much to do with the size and weight of your body, but the size and weight of your heart. :)

mickqld said:

Jared Waerea-Hargreaves , 6'4 and 121 kgs

Don't forget the Dog behemoth, forget his name, can be damaging.
But there have always been different styles of prop that have been effective. Joe became a bowling ball type, bit like O'Meley, not tall but low centre of gravity and with momentum can bend the line. Sao strikes me as this style. Haven't seen enough of Turbo but he may be similar?
King's height at times has been a disadvantage. Guys like Cement Gillespie and Dean Pay weren't giants physically.

Anyhow I'm happy for us to use Lawrence as a prototype for our modern prop. Another one or two like him and we'd kill it.

I think this is important for props, Force = mass X acceleration. The problem with being too heavy though is that it may reduce ones acceleration which could reduce force in a collision.

The hope for us is that the new rules require more speed & endurance from the front row. That's where we may have an advantage with BJ, Lui, Turbo, Sao, Starling.

mickqld said:
The hope for us is that the new rules require more speed & endurance from the front row. That's where we may have an advantage with BJ, Lui, Turbo, Sao, Starling.

Plus the Donny Singe Bootcamp factor :angel:

Eagle Rock said:
mickqld said:

How affective or should i say destructive is 5ft 10in and only 104kg Paul Gallen ??? Its the size of the heart and the inner strenght that matter , Just ask 2V

BOZO said:
Eagle Rock said:
mickqld said:

How affective or should i say destructive is 5ft 10in and only 104kg Paul Gallen ??? Its the size of the heart and the inner strenght that matter , Just ask 2V
True, but he is mean, angry and nasty, the story I heard with him was his car broke down and he carried it home ! ;)

mickqld said:

Shane Webcke was 6 ft and 112 kg and I would have him in our team any day.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8