Hayne Killing it

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Can Hayne now be poached by a better, richer club / Franchise? If the 49ers field is crap, dangerous, if the club is generally unsuccessful, then would JH do well to keep his options open ? or is it too late? U NFL experts can answer.

Dont think there will be Mass Exodus, but even if there is a Mini Exodus, then this NRL Administration deserve everything they get.
Toddy and Dave are too blind to see it coming, to stupid to do anything to counteract it, and to up-themselves to realise they have contributed to any exodus of ANY size. :finger:
If the 49'ers keep him on the practice squad to start the season (likely), then any other team can claim him. BUT - he won't get claimed only for returns. He needs to show it as an RB. Which is why he needs some touches early in the game instead of third quarter stuff against the scrubs.

If the 49'ers are going to keep him it will be for returns until the reg guy returns from injury - OR - if he kills it in real games. If he doesn't the story over there fades and he'll eventually get released and be back in time to save Nick and the Rorters...

Last edited:
Nope. You misread what I said Loobs.

Hayne was not ranked by the commentator as the story of the 49'ers preseason. He was ranked by the commentator as the story of the NFL preseason. He is big news over there already. The commentator said this: "We've all watched a lot of football this pre-season. I'll say it right now. This is this story of the pre-season in Pro Football."

Here's the link, listen to the end of the video:
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/us-spor...g-against-dallas-cowboys-20150824-gj6ekk.html
I just scrolled through the espn.com NFL page till my thumb got sore and he didn't appear once.

Wow Mr Loobs has really hung his hat on Hayne failing.

It's starting to remind me a little of Rambofan's famous Snake to Roosters call, and Mavin on the DCE back-flip.

Those guys painted themselves into a corner with adamant predictions and never recovered, lol

I'll admit I didn't think Hayne could make it in the NFL.

I'll also admit to being wrong. He may not be a 'first stringer' straight up, but he is going to make a few people sit up and take notice. Actually, he's already doing that.

When you look at the footage of his kick returns, its no different to what he did in the NRL. Actually, right now it might be a touch easier. He already has pace and evasive skills that come with being an outside back, but in the NFL, kick returners also have blockers who's job it is to clear a path through the defence. Even without blockers, Hayne was one of the best kick returning fullbacks in rugby league (I'd have loved to have seen him playing on the wing for Manly.....wing because we already have Snake ;) )

It might also turn NFL scouts onto the fact that rugby league fullbacks and wingers could definitely make it in the game. Someone like Tommy Trbojevic (if he was interested) could probably make a LOT more playing in the NFL than he ever could in the NRL.

I agree. Is awesome on his feet (without blockers) And he has that tackle breaking power. Given a chance he will succeed.

Wow Mr Loobs has really hung his hat on Hayne failing.

It's starting to remind me a little of Rambofan's famous Snake to Roosters call, and Mavin on the DCE back-flip.

Those guys painted themselves into a corner with adamant predictions and never recovered, lol
I don't care if he succeeds or fails. Makes no difference to me. Just tempering expectations. Chances are he still doesn't make it. Good for him if he does. Like to see how he goes when real games start.

No. That wasn't Mavin... it was Desert Book Kid ... no it was Lil Wayne

...this all gets so confusing
**** I totally missed that. @SeaEagleRock8 did say Mavin. Anyway, both were spectacular. If my Hayne rants can come close to that level then I've done my job. And just like those two if he sticks over there I'll just act like I never said anything.

Any NFL players capable of making it in Rugby League?
Probably not. They don't play both sides of the ball and their tackling technique a lot of the time is just diving at legs. If you think Jake Turbo has a good tackling technique then NFL players tackling style would make you cringe. A lot of the time a guy goes down just by the fact that the entire defence collapses in on him. Their open field tackling is pathetic. Prime Snake if he had a vertical and could learn to read QB's would have been a fantastic cornerback.

The leap this way is probably a lot harder. Hayne had transferable skills. For punt/kick returns, being one of the best fullbacks in the game and fielding and returning kicks at the highest levels of league holds him in good stead for doing that at an NFL level. It's not that different except for the fact you will have guys blocking for your so holes open up from them. So he goes there and just has to focus on a few aspects of the game. They'd have to come here and learn everything, plus conditioning wise they'd go from playing a few snaps to playing long stints to entire games. NFL players are built to be purely explosive because its bang - stop - reset - go again. You see with a defence if the offence plays no huddle it really wears them out.

Plus the pay is **** compared to NFL.

So in summary, no.

Pre-Season game 3 is the one to watch if he gets selected and where as that's where they throw in probable first teams to give them a run. I'm a Packers fan but hoping that he makes some in roads into the NFL. Odds are stacked heavily against him but even thiugh he was an Eels player good on him for following a dream.

NRL pre season means nothing and it's the same in the NFL

Just on the debate a couple of pages back about Snake's reported time for the 100 of 10.2 back in 2006.....

I posted a video a couple of weeks back of Snake scoring a length of the field try against the Rorters at the Football Stadium back in 2008. I timed his run, which was about 99.5 metres, at 12.3 seconds on what was a wet day. He had also made two long runs chasing Amos Roberts, the second of which was an 80 metre effort only about 10 minutes prior. On a dry track without carrying a football and without having already played about 70 minutes of football, back in 2006 I could see Snake doing a 10.2 for the 100 (remember, like mine this would have been hand held timing which has a degree of inaccuracy).

With his age and the leg injuries he's had I can't see him doing it now though. Explosive off the mark he still is, but the speed over distance had faded somewhat and his best speed probably now comes over 40-50 metres. I would say right now that the fastest player at Manly is Tom Trbojevic.

Just on the debate a couple of pages back about Snake's reported time for the 100 of 10.2 back in 2006.....

I posted a video a couple of weeks back of Snake scoring a length of the field try against the Rorters at the Football Stadium back in 2008. I timed his run, which was about 99.5 metres, at 12.3 seconds on what was a wet day. He had also made two long runs chasing Amos Roberts, the second of which was an 80 metre effort only about 10 minutes prior. On a dry track without carrying a football and without having already played about 70 minutes of football, back in 2006 I could see Snake doing a 10.2 for the 100 (remember, like mine this would have been hand held timing which has a degree of inaccuracy).

With his age and the leg injuries he's had I can't see him doing it now though. Explosive off the mark he still is, but the speed over distance had faded somewhat and his best speed probably now comes over 40-50 metres. I would say right now that the fastest player at Manly is Tom Trbojevic.

So you think snake was as quick as the quickest Aussie sprinter that year on grass, without spikes and without starting blocks?

No Brett still the quickest / fastest, he gets off quick with explosive speed, which gives him a good head start, he blitz Tommy from the start as well

Snake : Third or fourth quickest I've ever seen in Maroon & White Over these 48 years.
On 2007 as his peak:
Irvine
Hanigan
Snake
Shearer
Booth
Boustead over 30 MTRS
Gibbs over 20 mtrs

I really hope the kid succeeds. How can you not support someone who throws it all in and pursues a dream - and works his bum off for it!
Additionally, watching that little bit of footage from the second trial match, I thought about how much harder that would be than an NRL/Origin match in terms of him having no clue about the playing strengths and weaknesses of those he's trying to run around.
Go kiddo!

So you think snake was as quick as the quickest Aussie sprinter that year on grass, without spikes and without starting blocks?

As I said, there is a degree of inaccuracy with hand held times. What was reported as a 10.2 could easily have been say a 10.7 or even an 11.

Do I think Snake was as quick as the likes of Patrick Johnson or Matt Shirvington? Honestly, no and we're only going on what was reported back in 2006. But before his leg injuries he was definitely the quickest player at Manly and one of the quickest in the NRL.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8