How do we beat Storm? 'Give it to Turbo' answers not accepted :)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
We have to shut down the 2 dummy halfs, both are dynamic runners of the ball, which gets them on front foot and go forward, and if close to our line will always go for the try, both hard to stop especially cheese.

We have to shut down the 2 dummy halfs, both are dynamic runners of the ball, which gets them on front foot and go forward, and if close to our line will always go for the try, both hard to stop especially cheese.
No secret that their hookers are one of, if not the biggest threats. The big guys and the outside men often prosper from their darting runs in the middle. Wonder if having Walker in the middle as opposed to another stronger but less agile player may be a defensive strategy as much as an attacking one? Probably not! But I hadn't thought of that angle before. We do need some plan to slow down those two, just as much as Bellamy needs a plan to limit Turbo.

Playing unconventional footy against Storm will Always worry them, as they are so perfectly structured defensively, it puts them in an awkward place when there are offloads, 2nd phase plays, early shifts ect....but not helter skelter and throwing the ball anywhere and hoping - needs to be controlled....they thrive on errors and will own your red zone every time and almost always capitilize into points, within 1,2 or 3 sets - they are patient.
In saying this, would challenge the forward to start each half playing hard and direct and coming from that back fence to show intent and simply win the collisions and play the ball...and warm into the ideals of unconventional footy as the half plays out.
In attack, when setting for a shift left or right, the attack needs to be an extra 1-2 meters deep, as the Storm will get away with holding in that ruck area , which causes many teams to look flat, as they make runs early not accounting for the slow down at the play ball....I think we got caught a few times with timing out wide against Storm last game when we did actually have numbers and it was due to not adjusting to what happened back at the ruck.

Great article on the last manly Melbourne game. It really is a complex chess match between two elite coaches. Ennis and Graham mentioned how Des had the doggies amped up for an ambush in a week 1 semi against Melbourne in 2014, I hope it's similar to this week. Expect the unexpected. This is a huge game for the club!

Almost every time I've seen the Storm beaten by us or anyone for that matter, it started on the defensive end. Aggressive, relentless, play that puts pressure on kickers and ball players by limiting their time and being in their face.

I'm not convinced that quick shifts early in sets are the way to go. I do think; however, that the Storm's weakest link is Ieremia on the wing. I would be directing plenty of traffic his way. He really struggles to know when to come in and when to stay out. His combination with his inside men is poor and the Sharks exposed this in their last game, just as we did last time we played them.

I personally think the only way to beat Melbourne is to make the battle in the middle personal. I know people keep talking about shifting wide in yardage to make metres but I don't like the tactic. All it does is keep their forwards and guys like Grant and Cheese fresh due to not making tackles. It also means we turn the ball over due to the risk of such a tactic. Too much onus on how we use the ball against Melbourne and not enough onus on smashing them. We will score points through talent alone. Worry about D.

You've just gotta get angry and ****ing rip in and smash em and rattle em. It's the only way. There is enough talent in the backline to jag points so I would put the focus on line speed...if we can get up quickly and make good contact, we might frustrate them enough to keep the game tight and jag a win through a piece of Turbo magic, etc.

I personally think the only way to beat Melbourne is to make the battle in the middle personal. I know people keep talking about shifting wide in yardage to make metres but I don't like the tactic. All it does is keep their forwards and guys like Grant and Cheese fresh due to not making tackles. It also means we turn the ball over due to the risk of such a tactic. Too much onus on how we use the ball against Melbourne and not enough onus on smashing them. We will score points through talent alone. Worry about D.

You've just gotta get angry and ****ing rip in and smash em and rattle em. It's the only way. There is enough talent in the backline to jag points so I would put the focus on line speed...if we can get up quickly and make good contact, we might frustrate them enough to keep the game tight and jag a win through a piece of Turbo magic, etc.
Here, here

The only way Manly have ever beaten them in the past

That's a great breakdown on the ABC link Remy, love the inclusion of all the Gif-based footage - cool way to dissect the play and breakdown the strategies the Storm employed.

One thing that totally escaped me is the benefit a crowd will be for us, to drown out the pseudo-coaching and potential 'borking' targeting Turbo. Might be harder to have the same level of awareness to target him as per the last game.

Just need to remember that we were a rare error from Tom on a bomb, and a complete McFeast meal made by Garrick of an in-and-behind grubber that gifted the Storm 2 tries, both converted, which proved the difference on the scoreboard. By comparison, our tries were manufactured through slick backline moves and powerful finishes - not some drop-on-the-ball opportunistic pressure-play conversions.

And that is beside the other field-position advantages we gifted the Storm through poor possession-play, and importantly the speculative Ref decisions - such as the 1-on-1 steal that never should have been, the Brandon Smith 'Wink' penalty, or the Garrick-i'm-too-hard-to-sook play which should have seen Jarome Hughes marched (for that nasty knee to Garrick's jaw - stay down lad, watch some Soccer for pointers, fark me..).

I think the main thing that stands out to me is Manly need another hero to REALLY step up against the Storm, so that whilst they are distracted by the razzle-dazzle and bright lights of the Turbo and are targeting him with impunity, they completely overlook a sneak attack by someone like Foz, Walker or Schuster - someone who has that X-factor that teams would normally have to build a strategy to contain if Tom wasn't so prominent. I leave DCE out of that because he is the obvious 2nd-target - but in the Parra game, Moses spotted guys like Lumelume running in creating space out wide - DCE has the passing game to replicate that should that overlap present itself.

Playing the Storm game of up-the-middle, crash and bash, Fwd dominance will be playing into their hands - they are more practiced at it, and know how far they can bend the rules. I am more for chancing it as before, especially given we have a double-shot now. The rewards for beating Melbourne playing OUR brand of footy far outweigh the conservative approach to try and beat them at their own game, which is exactly what Melbourne would want us to do. When we throw it wide, we make more yardage and spread out their ruck defence. Yes, we may risk errors, but live/die by the sword I say.

And once we make that yardage, we need to capitalise - send those high balls to Saab's wing, target short guys like Papenhuyzen and Olam with the bombs so Saab and Turbo, who both have half a foot+ on them, can do their thing. Secure repeat sets with high-percentage grubber plays from Foz. Give away the odd 6-again if you have to, in order to set the line and charge in as one when they are 5m outside their own line. Gas them out so big guys like NAS are either put on earlier than expected from the bench, or given a breather earlier than expected - NAS get's super-loose when he gets tired and has a sin-bin or 3 in him.

If Fox is out, Lumelume comes in and he should be targeted, as he has a habit of jamming in and coming up fast to try and shut-down the ball spreading wide - a nice looping Turbo/DCE pass to an unmarked Saab/Garrick should be easy meters if not a try. If Munster is out Hynes comes in - I felt we had the measure of Nicho last game and will do so again. He is solid whilst being unspectacular, and I expect the Melbourne-effect is making him look better than he is.

Would love to see us take the storm out playing OUR brand of footy, not go down to them in a grind they set the pace for, simply for the sake of being conservative 'coz finals'. Our high-flying risky game-play is what has got us to where we are, and if we execute it right we can win this entire thing.

Not sure how you strain a hammy and need to come off then be right 2 weeks later. I had chronic hammy injuries and once tweaked they always took more than a few weeks to come good. And I was not a winger relying on sprinting.
Addo Carr always goes full tilt, if he has a hammy problem he won’t be able to nurse it.

I reckon you will be happy Snake, as the aggressive approach of kicking down the front door will be the approach from a Des coached Manly side, personally don't mind it at all and it's a non negotiable to compete tough early for ownership of the all important ruck.
Do have a feeling there will take some offloads/2nd phase to unlock the Storm D, but not until at least competing in the ugly stuff opening 15 mins.
A bit of attack from a distance with a shift is something I also see and we have the speed to cash in, but it won't be easy like it is against the average NRL side, will need to have them on heels before playing too pretty and that comes back to winning that middle and letting them know there is no Fear and be willing to fight for every bone in the trenches.
Overall I expect a Manly performance that mixes the bash and barge, with attacking flurries, particularly the backend of both halves.
Your point is spot on though, if not prepared to turn up angry and win the collisions, Tom and friends will be restricted and far less effective....tell ya 1 thing Snake, most excited Iv'e been for a game for a few years mate....

I would like to say composure. Repeat sets. Game management. Tight defense. Grinding out the win. But it's just not this teams go.

It's a free shot to blow em off the park with all or nothing plays. Sorry but it tis how the play.

Almost every time I've seen the Storm beaten by us or anyone for that matter, it started on the defensive end. Aggressive, relentless, play that puts pressure on kickers and ball players by limiting their time and being in their face.

I'm not convinced that quick shifts early in sets are the way to go. I do think; however, that the Storm's weakest link is Ieremia on the wing. I would be directing plenty of traffic his way. He really struggles to know when to come in and when to stay out. His combination with his inside men is poor and the Sharks exposed this in their last game, just as we did last time we played them.
They've got Lumelume on the wing with George Jennings this week.

tell ya 1 thing Snake, most excited Iv'e been for a game for a few years mate....
Bring It Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

A very interesting discussion on League Tonight with Michael Ennis and James Graham on how Des ambushed Melbourne in a semi final in Melbourne.

Des has 17 versus 15 wins over Bellamy.

Expect the unexpected this weekend.
Good find, I watched this and their discussion after round 21 is also worth watching

Big game needed from Smole and Schu. Two big strike weapons that need to step up if Melbourne does smother Tom, those two create points out of nothing.

It's probably all been said but to me other than obvious possession & field position....

The two main points to me are.

1) the Storm will coming to cut off the head of the Snake ( no pun intended ) and they will come hard for Tommy and we need to have options and decoys around him and not be afraid to cut him out SOMETIMES. It can't be just give it to Tommy, that only works against the lesser sides. DCE will be under huge pressure when kicking. An alternative kicker, a kick from dummy half. If we are predictable the Storm will strangle us. Gotta keep them off balance. Somebody else is going to have to be prepared to step up to beat them.

2) The Storm win so often because they do the simple things better than other teams - they pressure the kicker, the block out the chasers to the bomb, they give away restarts on the first tackle not the 4th, kick chase immaculate, they take territory by first going through the opposition not around them. All these things add up and we need to match them here. Kick chase is so important.

So pumped for this game. Theré is no semi like a semi against the Storm.

I think one underrated factor is that Aloiai's first game back from injury was against the Storm and he looked very rusty, but pre-Cowboys game he looked back to his best and was leading from the front. We're going to need to win the forward battle and I really like the front row rotation of him, Marty, Paseka and Keppie - as much as I like Sipley his defence in the middle is poor and that's where Melbourne got us last time and will likely try to do again.

If we can win in this area then we should control the field possession and from there the points will come. Definitely like our chances of scoring out wide with Tommy doing his thing and attacking Jennings and Lumelume on their wings.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10