How do we beat Storm? 'Give it to Turbo' answers not accepted :)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Spectacular finish by Manly but just too many nothing plays for my liking last night . Also centres not getting much quality ball or being that effective in attack then consequently the opportunity for winger scoring finishing . Not doubting that the intensity level and urgency level will go up considerably against the Storm but it will have to as they will be coming at us at full bore from the start and at least will have to match that and counter with our own hard running go forward and quick play the balls . Hopefully will not be a skinny 10 mtrs to contend against and probably best to mix up the attack and not only utilizing the early wide spread and if the go forward is there , no reason why Manly can not make good inroads just wide of the ruck as well and the inside balls . Pleased that Paseka and Alioia will be there , will make a big difference , only have to look at Paseks "s good input when he was on against the Cows but hope that his defence is up to par as well . Proved that we could match it with them last encounter , just some better ball control and a bit more clinical in attack and the game is there to be won

They seem to be allowing the scum to hold down in the ruck like in the past. We need to try to play the ball quickly to encourage 6 agains. Who am I kidding
They do over control the speed of the ruck very well and get away with murder, they definitely slow the attacking side down and look to remove that advantage, another prominent point being the more the ball carrier works for a quick play the ball, the more vital energy they spend.

I’m sure they know this and use it well, you will very rarely see a 2 man Melbourne tackle, it’s pretty basic but its nearly always perfect, 3 men tackling, 2 up top, 1 around the legs, drive the ball carrier backwards, roll him over and peel off one by one, the whole process is based on adding time to the tackle, fatiguing the ball carrier and slowing the speed of the attack down, they are the best in the comp at it. It is a skill set they employ and use better than any other side to control the ruck speed.

Dominate their forwards. I bet Des will have the boys primed and I reckon we are in for one of the games of the season. We need to play aggressive and hit hard! Keppie back certainly helps this! Our kick chase has to be A LOT better. We had some cracking kicks yesterday only to concede a line break straight back. And of course we need to complete at at least 80% or higher!

Firstly cut out the mistakes which has cost us in past games, secondly go forward before going sideways, I believe we had the forwards to match theirs. Move up in defence because our line speed has been waiting for the opposition to come to them. Turn them around with long kicks with a good chase. Don't try to score from every play. We have to get into the grind before playing more expansive once we settle into the game.

If we don't and they get of to a flying start we will lose.

They do over control the speed of the ruck very well and get away with murder, they definitely slow the attacking side down and look to remove that advantage, another prominent point being the more the ball carrier works for a quick play the ball, the more vital energy they spend.

I’m sure they know this and use it well, you will very rarely see a 2 man Melbourne tackle, it’s pretty basic but its nearly always perfect, 3 men tackling, 2 up top, 1 around the legs, drive the ball carrier backwards, roll him over and peel off one by one, the whole process is based on adding time to the tackle, fatiguing the ball carrier and slowing the speed of the attack down, they are the best in the comp at it. It is a skill set they employ and use better than any other side to control the ruck speed.
And third man in after tackle is complete. How is this acceptable

They might be missing Munster and Fox, or that might be mind games.

Main issues for mine are Dummy halves - Brandon Smith is good for many a short-range crash-over try, and Grant eats metres in the middle around tired defenders.

We had a good show last time but mistakes cost us.

What's the game-plan need to look like, and how do we prepare a massive upset week-1?
In all honestly I think the best plan might be ‘don’t give it to Tom’ we’ve got experienced halves who when using him as a decoy could go themselves, hit short to our destructive back-rowers or play long to our wingers. Tom will be heavily marked and I think we’ve definitely got the players to take advantage of that

• 👍
Reactions: DGD
Two stats and we win:

The Storm are such a well drilled machine that they lead the comp in a number of stats but the most telling for me is the runs from dummy half. They smash the whole comp in this area and is where they generate a lot of impetus. If we can manage to limit their runs from dummy half we can unsettle them.

Next is to limit out handling errors.
An interesting stat regarding handling errors taken from NRL website.

In the top 50 for season we have 6 players in the top 50 whilst the Storm only have 2

Ranked / errors

2. Saab 32
4. Turbo 28
6. Garrick 24
14. Parker 22
30. DCE 19
43. Shoe 17

Storm

15. Hynes 22
40. Reimis Smith 17

We are also ranked 1st with the most handling errors by team for season whilst Storm ranked 14th. Overall errors we are ranked 3rd and Storm 14th.

In conclusion to win we must curtail their dummy half runs and our handling errors.

If all else fails then kick em in the nuts.

We need to get into grind I start Keppie over schuster and bring him on at 25 minute mark. The tackle 3 shift everyone is onto at moment play through the middle and complete our sets better.
Our set returns not getting enough metres also .

Beat them at there own game. Throw bodies into the tackle with some wrestle and hold a skinny 10 all game. The ref's sure to bottle it and put the whistle away for the finals.

And the moment we get any sort of head contact, stay down until plays stopped.

So who misses out next week?? Keppie was great last night... So was sipley.. if Aloia is fit he doesn't miss out and we have 80 min back rowers... So who misses out, Walker or Lawton?? Neither deserves too, but if Lawton is only going to be used for the last 12 minutes like he has been the last few weeks I can't see the point keeping him in.. which is a massive shame, as we grow a leg when hes in dummy half

Yep. Our forwards are going to have to be able to at least match their Storm opponents, especially containing big Nelson when he comes on.
I'm a little concerned about The Shoe, who I believe is a special talent. But over the past month he hasn't shone. I don't know if he is under instruction to just tackle and let others ball-play, but I wonder if he should be played off the bench for the first part of the final? Use our big boppers to hold the Storm then bring him on fresh to weave his magic.
To win a final often only takes one piece of brilliance; they are much tighter than the regular high scoring matches we've seen. The Shoe is the most brilliant attacking forward in the comp and it has been looking to me that he is being worn down by all the defensive work.
In my experience it’s better to have players with an x-factor on the field where possible. Especially in finals where there result of a game can be determined by a moment. Do agree though, he is hungry in defensive and goes out looking for the tackle. A simple chat from Des could see him preserve some gas for attack. I think he’s fit enough to play the 80, just about finding the best balance for the team.

So who misses out next week?? Keppie was great last night... So was sipley.. if Aloia is fit he doesn't miss out and we have 80 min back rowers... So who misses out, Walker or Lawton?? Neither deserves too, but if Lawton is only going to be used for the last 12 minutes like he has been the last few weeks I can't see the point keeping him in.. which is a massive shame, as we grow a leg when hes in dummy half
Sipley misses out

We need to get into grind I start Keppie over schuster and bring him on at 25 minute mark. The tackle 3 shift everyone is onto at moment play through the middle and complete our sets better.
Our set returns not getting enough metres also .
I was gonna start a thread stating exactly this! Keppie is a machine and made for big time footy!

We need to hold the ball and win the forwards battle. Cut the errors out and dominate field position.
we have enough points in us if we do this.
Sadly we show no sign of being able to hold the ball.

We beat them by taking them away from their patterns ... our attack is now designed to do that ...

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8