How Soft are our Forwards

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Its a tough one. No NRL player is soft. Those injuries……I played a lot of sports and in my twenties i was constantly carrying niggles and much more in the workplace but i dont imagine going back out there 10 minutes after a broken nose. That stuff really hurts. I even hate icing stuff these days

BUT SOFT OPTIONS . Yeah baby that is Manly 100%.

our forwards try hard, but the group has too much of the wrong body types and movements, especially considering our throw it all on red mentality .

play the balls, ruck defence….we just dont cover the middle the way we should despite some strong defensive efforts and run metres at times
game style, possession, confidence, ability , aerobic fitness all play parts. But mental resillience is nothing but a buzz word

despite some good numbers at times the pack collectively isnt quite fit for purpose. It either lacks the physical all round abilities to cope under differing conditions, or the mental resilience .i suggest a bit if both The mental weakness does define us though

for years jake playing first receiver unbalanced the workload . I dont agree that all edges have to be able to score 50 m tries. We need to start selecting a team around defending our patch first and introducing good game as we Improve. And defence isnt just tackling its possesion, kicking, field position, its a mentality so its part of the spine, the backs, the talk

not soft but in a soft environment.
We are apollo creed. Most teams are rocky . Some are even MR T
at least appolo won something first. We just look good in the silk shorts . Just ask us

Soft option credentials
up by 24, 5 to go. Lets not defend. Lets let in 2 late tries
big game, big grind. Not us, lateral all the way
how often we get beaten to the bounce
how often the ball is stolen from us
Play tight for 10, then WEEEEEEE all the way home.
Maybe we need Don Mckinnon

same stuff year after year, new excuse year after year. Same denominators year after year.

Make that 2 miles ...

In a game where the opposition had 65% of possession .. and camped in our 20m zone ... our forwards having made a million tackles and buggered ... kept turning up.

They had 70 tackles inside our 20 .. and were lucky to score a couple out wide.

Yes we made a shiite load of handling errors ... but the effort of our defense was there.

I reckon if we had 65% possession in their 20m zone we would have come away with a hell of a lot more points than 34.
Personally, I see things different. They rolled through our middle from the get go, which tells me there was a lack of effort and intensity. Seibs said in his presser that we were down in the effort areas of the game. That we repelled them on their own line might be more to do with the absence of 8 of their regular starting side. If Moses, Brown and Lane played, it could have been 60. One half was a back rower who last played 5/8 in 2019 and the other was rookie in his 2nd game for the club.

If th

If that is true Woodsie how the f&$k did we get in that situation?. What happened to holding the ball and kicking on the 5th tackle?. What happened to discipline and line speed?.

Great if they defended their line but they lost by 30 points. Means we are dog **** in attack without DCE and Turbo.

God help us when they leave. The rest of them Bar a select few are absolute crap.

NYEagle

Pretty hard to have line speed with 35% of the possession, and having made twice as many tackles as their forwards ... just having a line and restricting them to 30 points after over 70 tackles in our 20m zone is a testament to our fitness and resolve ...

Paseka dropping the ball 4 times, and Saab spilling the pill 4 times, and a needless brin fart getting Weekes sin binned are all individual fukk-ups ...and have nothing to do with coaching ..... the fact that we kept turning up in defence has, and I take more positives out of the game than negatives

last year with 65% possession against us and Parra would have put 60 on us ..

Pretty hard to have line speed with 35% of the possession, and having made twice as many tackles as their forwards ... just having a line and restricting them to 30 points after over 70 tackles in our 20m zone is a testament to our fitness and resolve ...

Paseka dropping the ball 4 times, and Saab spilling the pill 4 times, and a needless brin fart getting Weekes sin binned are all individual fukk-ups ...and have nothing to do with coaching ..... the fact that we kept turning up in defence has, and I take more positives out of the game than negatives

last year with 65% possession against us and Parra would have put 60 on us ..
Your right woodsie but that stat doesnt reflect footy as such . If we look at the first 15 minutes when possesion was closer and fatigue not really a factor they still rolled through us. Our line speed wasnt anywhere near parras early. Its hard to tell if that was the ref but it seemed a tad skew in comparison

our defence was pretty good overall considering some of the poor individual misses

Personally, I see things different. They rolled through our middle from the get go, which tells me there was a lack of effort and intensity. Seibs said in his presser that we were down in the effort areas of the game. That we repelled them on their own line might be more to do with the absence of 8 of their regular starting side. If Moses, Brown and Lane played, it could have been 60. One half was a back rower who last played 5/8 in 2019 and the other was rookie in his 2nd game for the club.

And our forwards made twice as many tackles as theirs ... (we can come up with points all day)

I wonder how many points Arffur and The Shooey would have come up with had they had 65% of the possession and 70 tackles inside the opponents 20m zone ?

All we can go on as "critics" is our experience of watching games over many years ...

What I saw was an unprecedented load of unforced individual errors putting the team well behind the 8-ball early .. and continue making them for the whole 80 mins ...

What I did not see was a team that turned it up or were "soft" .. or stopped competing ...

How does a coach deal with Paseka dropping the ball 4 times in attacking positions (never happened before) .... or Saab dropping the ball 4 times on 1st tackles in our 20m zone ? (never happened before) .... he can't ... all he can do is ignore it and hope it never happens again ... there will however be a quiet word in Weekes ear about sin bins, and another in Sipley's about late tackles on kickers .... beyond that not much else he can do ..

So, yeah, nah, we'll disagree ... but onwards and upwards to next week ...

And our forwards made twice as many tackles as theirs ... (we can come up with points all day)

I wonder how many points Arffur and The Shooey would have come up with had they had 65% of the possession and 70 tackles inside the opponents 20m zone ?

All we can go on as "critics" is our experience of watching games over many years ...

What I saw was an unprecedented load of unforced individual errors putting the team well behind the 8-ball early .. and continue making them for the whole 80 mins ...

What I did not see was a team that turned it up or were "soft" .. or stopped competing ...

How does a coach deal with Paseka dropping the ball 4 times in attacking positions (never happened before) .... or Saab dropping the ball 4 times on 1st tackles in our 20m zone ? (never happened before) .... he can't ... all he can do is ignore it and hope it never happens again ... there will however be a quiet word in Weekes ear about sin bins, and another in Sipley's about late tackles on kickers .... beyond that not much else he can do ..

Yeah bad day at the office for sure

Just lobbing a grenade here, but was it the second knights game when we had a similar stats but in reverse and lost
all the ball, field position, set after set

Fair enough. I saw a lack of intensity from the opening whistle which I feel contributed to the errors that eventually fatigued the forwards (as you correctly point out). Keppie’s drop ball, Paseka’s penalty, Saab’s drop, Tui’s drop, missed tackles, the Eels constantly kicking from good field position, etc. I put all that in the general basket of a flat performance where the intensity and energy is lacking. I could be wrong but think that’s what Seibs was referring to in the press conference.

I’m never a fan of viewing possession as some kind of lucky dip. You balance possession with game awareness and management. For that reason, I don’t care what we could have done with 65% possession, because we didn’t deserve to have it in the first place.

He looked like a plodder against the Knights. I wish we’d buy some leg speed.
15 Runs for 175 run metres with 75 post contact metres beats Aloiai's 6 runs for 59 metres and 28 post contact metres and Woods 7 runs for 59 metres with 19 post contact metres. He hands down beats our plodders single handily he ran for more metres than those 2 combined.

Last edited:
15 Runs for 175 run metres with 75 post contact metres beats Aloiai's 6 runs for 59 metres and 28 post contact metres and Woods 7 runs for 59 metres with 19 post contact metres. He hands down beats our plodders single handily he ran for more metres than those 2 combined.
Sure, but I was just hoping for something more dynamic. Aaron Woods used to top 200m regularly in his prime, but 100m from Spencer Lenui has a much bigger impact on the result. A fast play the ball on which to attack from or get the rest of the set rolling is more beneficial than trundling forward for yards.

Not suggesting Whyte will not have a good workrate, and could be a handy player but yeah, I was disappointed with the lack of dynamism.

He certainly was.

Unfortunately his error under the Parra goalposts resulted in a chain of events that saw us not touch the ball again until we had conceded 2 converted tries.
It's really the only thing I don't like about the guy, if he could cut out the consistent errors in his game he would be a standout, I'm always expecting him to lose the pill when he's making a charge and I find myself constantly screaming at him to hold onto it, frustrating to the max

I’m pretty sure his shoulder is busted and has put off surgery until end of year. This probably explains his lack of impact.
If that's the case he shouldn't be out there at all, surely the medical team would put a block on any player unable to carry out his duties, it's been obvious for a while that he's not having the impact he once had, maybe time to move him on

I would estimate the pack, including reserve forwards, we trotted out against Doesn'tmatta was the largest and heaviest in the NRL . . .
and the slowest.
We don't seem to have a nuggety, speedy, aggressive forward, like Watwough or those you see in both SOO packs. It makes us one-dimensional: good when we are in possession but ponderous when we are forced to defend.
Zaz Fulton is the type of forward I have in mind. I'm not sure he is good enough for NRL but I hope he is being considered over drones like Woods and Al.

Sure, but I was just hoping for something more dynamic. Aaron Woods used to top 200m regularly in his prime, but 100m from Spencer Lenui has a much bigger impact on the result. A fast play the ball on which to attack from or get the rest of the set rolling is more beneficial than trundling forward for yards.

Not suggesting Whyte will not have a good workrate, and could be a handy player but yeah, I was disappointed with the lack of dynamism.
I'm with you mate I want to see impact off the bench would rather someone come on for 20 minutes and just steamroll blokes with high impact rather than high work rate, Cam Mccinnes style kinda of

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10
10 5 5 -56 10