Hypothetical Re Hasler

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

would Hasler be welcomed back at Manly

• Total voters
What value would he add now. He'll just wait for another opportunity. When your gone your gone.

As has been already stated. It is the way Hasler left that makes it a no for me. He did great things for this club. He then tarnished all his great work by trying to dismantle it on the way out.

Mauler to clarify

What I meant was at the time he left you would never have thought he would get the reception he has now (also te dogs did try to get him back)

People need to get over it, he brought us 2 premierships and plenty of success, and pulled this club from rubble to build the blueprint for our future dominance. I wouldn't demote Toovey but Dessie could be assistant or in a similar role to that of Gould at Penrith

But it will never happen since Greenturd wont sack Des and he will take on no lesser role then head coach

Why would you want someone in your ranks you don't trust. Hasler is the last person I want anywhere near the team.

Very strong chance that down the track he would come back as head coach. I'd welcome him back should circumstances require it.

Can't imagine him even wanting to come back. No comparison with Fulton, a great player, but I never rate him as a coach. I'm very happy with Toovs, although until Hasler did the dirty on us, I was happy with him. I wouldn't want him back. To much baggage now.

Seriously ? No thank you.

If he wants, he can come back and hand out the interchange numbers.

Kiwi Eagle said:
Just for a different slant on this, and 1 for our older crew to answer

Bob Fulton left us for Easts, I'd guess money was the main factor. Was he welcomed back with open arms when he came back across to us ? I understand his circumstances would probably have been a bit different but just wondering what the attitudes were

As for Hasler, in Tooves we trust, if Toovey decided there was some sort of role he would be useful in I'd back him on that

I am sure the warriors would pay him a couple of million a season to coach them

I imagine they would too Kiwi. He'd, at least, get them organized. Elliot is a disgrace given all the talent over there.

DSM5 said:
I imagine they would too Kiwi. He'd, at least, get them organized. Elliot is a disgrace given all the talent over there.

No doubt they'd love Des

I actually think Elliott is doing a fair job with them at the moment regardless of where they are sitting on the ladder. He has taken over a club with huge problems and players with big attitude problems and is slowly turning them around.

Never say never just not right now. Toovey is doing the job. We all got pissed because how des left and we all loved the bloke because he was so good.

If anything happens and he leaves there I'd like to see him get a crack at NSW or Australia then when tooves has had enough bring des back.

Elliott is an interesting character, he seems like a pretty good bloke from what I've seen of him, but a bit left field. He might be ahead of his time. Is he related to Elliott Goblet?

There's nothing wrong with leaving a club, it was the circumstances and way he left that revealed the guy's character.

1 - Announces his departure 2 days after the GF and therefore destroys the players and clubs celebration of the enormity of a GF win.

2 - Clearly had handshake deal with Dogs early in the year and appeared to be involved in some dodgy recruitment decisions following that.

3 - Took the whole Manly coaching establishment with him and targeted key players, the results of which destabilised manly for most of 2012.

4 - Bullied and harassed staff to join him, including sitting out the front of one Manly staff members house for an hour waiting to nab him with a dogs contract, in addition to abusing Dave Warwick when he told him that he'd changed his mind about going to the dogs.

Des thought he was bigger than the club and effectively owned it. He sought to trash it on the way out - both at staff and player level - signs of a narcisistic personality type. As Max Krilich said 'everythings always about Des". THis to a club that gave him everything he had over three decades. To me what he did was unforgiveable and I for one don't want him back anywhere near the joint.

sean1976 said:
3 - Took the whole Manly coaching establishment with him
Not quite … he didn't take the Manly bloke

RL Gronk said:
Never say never just not right now.

One of your more sensible posts. For now I agree with DSM5 – too much baggage. But things can change, even a week can be a long time in NRL…

If there was an opening as head coach he may....may....consider coming back. But as Tooves is proving his worth there is and won't be an opening for some time.

Des will coach another team, who are looking for a top level coach. He has two premierships and will attract good money and offers elsewhere. St George for instance were rumored to be chasing Bellamy but he will not be available to them. Maybe they try for Des is it goes sour??...

Once you are a star coach like Des he will keep going out there on the free market, he won't want back in a lower position.

sean1976 said:
4 - Bullied and harassed staff to join him, including sitting out the front of one Manly staff members house for an hour waiting to nab him with a dogs contract, in addition to abusing Dave Warwick when he told him that he'd changed his mind about going to the Dogs

Has this one ever been confirmed as being anything more than paper talk though ? Papers have never been shy of inventing a few things

Player wise, if you look at what the Dogs are lacking, Hasler wouldn't have been doing his job if he didn't try to grab an off contract Foran. Thankfully for us Foran felt a bit of loyalty

Re: Bozo's departure: John Harvey joined Fulton at Easts in 1979, Fulton's first year as their coach (captain-coach). Russel Gartner joined them there in 1982 - although he was unwanted by Manly at that stage. Paper talk around 1979/1980 was that he wanted Gibbsy as well.

He was generally very favourably received when he returned, because he had amply demonstrated at Easts that he was an innovative, intelligent coach, capable of coaching a team to a title.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Elliott is an interesting character, he seems like a pretty good bloke from what I've seen of him, but a bit left field. He might be ahead of his time. Is he related to Elliott Goblet?

No, Elliot Goblet is related to him.

Only by marriage though, because Matt Elliott is a gentile, unlike Mr Goblet and his cousin Austen Tayshus.

The latter two gentlemen are my favourite Australian comedians.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6