It was Des all along coaching thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Who do you think will be coaching us next year?

• Total voters
Come on Harvey , you are made of sterner stuff then that . In any case only the Punchies have got exclusive rights to playing the Victim Card .
Hopefully Penn lands on Free Parking, collects all the cash on board and uses it to buy some houses or hotels.

I just keep landing on damned well Community Chest and keep coming last in the beauty contest and have to pay everyone 25 bucks!

Come on Harvey , you are made of sterner stuff then that . In any case only the Punchies have got exclusive rights to playing the Victim Card .
Between you and me Al we enjoy the persecution.
Every blow is a caress...

All that matters is that I love you mate :talking:

For the record, with Maguire and any other first grade quality coach unavailable, if I were Penn, I'd go with the below:

Head Coach: Des Hasler
Assistant Coach: Geoff Toovey
Assistant Coach: Chad Randall
Fitness Coaches: Don Singe / Matt Ballin
Recruitment / List Manager: NEW (Cleal?)

* Matt Ballin / Don Singe should immediately be in contact with our players who are all in party mode to get in Tip Top shape.

* Hasler contacts everyone (Cleary style) and demands an, "are you on the bus, or do you want a release / out" commitment from every player.

* Penn pays out: Barrett, Cartwright, Ferris. This proves money isn't as important as culture.

* Gorman stops with the strategic signing announcements, announces all the signings, upgrades, releases

* Full presser is held, showing complete solidarity, top to bottom re-affirming our culture is returning, and losing is not acceptable at any level. Also introduces our recruitment / list person who will manage our cap like The Roosters presently do (so Des can focus on just the ON field stuff).

* They THEN ask for fans / members to get on board and renew given all the focus on moving forward, winning and culture. Everyone would get on board.

It would be back to BAU. I'd expect us in the top 4. The players would have a system shock, because they'd be expected to work (Suli may even put down his bong). Good times would be back.

I should be damned CEO. All changes above can occur with dedication, money, swallowing pride, and a can do attitude.

That being said, Penn is our owner, so expect most of the above to not happen, and for us to continue to look like SeaGulls instead of SeaEagles.

Best post I've seen on here for a while, Ryan. I'd love to see a coaching clean out as it would signal a new beginning. I don't know if Cartwright could achieve this, hope I'm wrong! Asking players to commit 100% or leave is superb man management. I believe our roster with 100% commitment could move mountains!

I remember a great lecute by Paul Roos on culture I was lucky enough to get an invite to (almost didn't go as I don't really like AFL). He inherited an underperforming Swans team with some ok players and some hopefuls and went about turning them into a premiership team. Essentially he 1) got them to commit or leave, 2) asked them what it would take to be successful and 3) held them to account. Apparently Goodes wanted to be captain so they sat down and looked his stats and he was behind other players in key areas. So he went about becoming the best in the team to EARN the captaincy. All the players had similar discussions and there was no bs, either you did the things you needed to do to be on the team or you weren't on the team. Everything in the open and all the team took part in these discussions. Looking at things this way takes away opinion, feelings, mateship etc. Assistant to Eades, Roos took over as caretaker in 2002, full time coach in 2003 and won the premiership in 2005.

Best post I've seen on here for a while, Ryan. I'd love to see a coaching clean out as it would signal a new beginning. I don't know if Cartwright could achieve this, hope I'm wrong! Asking players to commit 100% or leave is superb man management. I believe our roster with 100% commitment could move mountains!

I remember a great lecute by Paul Roos on culture I was lucky enough to get an invite to (almost didn't go as I don't really like AFL). He inherited an underperforming Swans team with some ok players and some hopefuls and went about turning them into a premiership team. Essentially he 1) got them to commit or leave, 2) asked them what it would take to be successful and 3) held them to account. Apparently Goodes wanted to be captain so they sat down and looked his stats and he was behind other players in key areas. So he went about becoming the best in the team to EARN the captaincy. All the players had similar discussions and there was no bs, either you did the things you needed to do to be on the team or you weren't on the team. Everything in the open and all the team took part in these discussions. Looking at things this way takes away opinion, feelings, mateship etc. Assistant to Eades, Roos took over as caretaker in 2002, full time coach in 2003 and won the premiership in 2005.
Love it!
Would all of our players get on board I wonder?

Love it!
Would all of our players get on board I wonder?
Most would, some wouldn’t probably. But then to those that wouldn’t we’d just say “ta ta Cheerio join another team” and we’d get players that would get on board. Simples.

Maguire is a big miss for us. It's easy to label him this, that and the other now that we've missed out but the fact remains, he is the only viable (I don't consider Hasler viable given his relationship with the Penns) premiership winning coach on the market...you could argue Bennett, but he way past it. Not only has Maguire won an NRL premiership but his Wigan side took out the Super League and Challenge Cup under his tutelage.

The long and the short of it is he was our best possible option. He has a proven track record that the likes of Henry and Cartwright could only dream of.

I think the best option now that Maguire is out of the picture is to chase Adam O'Brien. He is off to the Roosters as an assistant but surely he would be released to take up a HC position. He has been in the Storm system for 11 years. A real hard head and another Seibold in waiting.

What's wrong with my boys?

Steve Renouf insists it is time for his former Broncos teammates Ben and Shane Walker to get a start as NRL coaches after eight successful seasons at the helm of the Ipswich Jets.

In this week's NRL Podcast, Renouf analyses the Walker brothers' winning strike rate of 57.8% in the Intrust Super Cup through 191 games, comparable with Des Hasler's 58.1% record at Manly and Canterbury and well ahead of Ivan Cleary's overall win rate in the NRL of 46.7%.

The brothers, who were close to getting the Titans job this year, have achieved sustained success at one of the state league's poorest clubs and without NRL-affiliated players coming back to them on a regular basis.

1. They are not rookie coaches, having eight years experience
2. They have an impressive winning record
3. They are used to improving poorly resourced clubs
4. Ben had a distinguished career at Manly and the Northern Eagles so he knows the culture.
5. They are innovative. At last we may see some exciting football
6. They would be cheap, especially as you get two coaches not just one
7. They would bust a gut to get results, and not blame poor furniture or staff
8. They wouldn't have egos like Maguire and Bennett
9. They would probably jump at a one-year appointment, with KPAs

Maguire is a big miss for us. It's easy to label him this, that and the other now that we've missed out but the fact remains, he is the only viable (I don't consider Hasler viable given his relationship with the Penns) premiership winning coach on the market...you could argue Bennett, but he way past it. Not only has Maguire won an NRL premiership but his Wigan side took out the Super League and Challenge Cup under his tutelage.

The long and the short of it is he was our best possible option. He has a proven track record that the likes of Henry and Cartwright could only dream of.

I think the best option now that Maguire is out of the picture is to chase Adam O'Brien. He is off to the Roosters as an assistant but surely he would be released to take up a HC position. He has been in the Storm system for 11 years. A real hard head and another Seibold in waiting.

My view is we really need Madge, a change manager, a disciplinarian who can do a complete over haul.

He's at the top of the list because no one else comes close to having that demonstrated history of turning club's around quickly and getting success.

It is what is so disappointing about the recent news. A club' head honcho should be doing everything to get Madge in. Plenty of jobs Carty can do at the club, get paid, and do a lot better than head or assistant coach.

Not landing Madge has that smell of it, again being Penns way or the highway, where arogence, and an inability to find mutual benefits, and compromise, gets in the way of a good business outcome.

Scott just had to get this one done.

Last edited:

Ah, 11 years of learning how to cheat, how to play outside the spirit of the game......good choice.

Don't get so testy .... if you keep trying hard you will eventually get something right ....

Sorry if you believe the club owners are above reproach ..... I think they are a tragedy of almost bibllical proportions ....... it has taken me 10 years of supporting and waiting and hoping these clowns would change .... daily I am treated to evidence that is unlikely ....
You're a very funny ****.

I’m confused now.

I think it’s time we were allocated monikers.

I think I’m a Numbnut, but maybe I’m a Punchie but then again I know I’m a Daytime Dribbler but am I part of the PPC.

We ALL need clarification??
Totally, you're not PPC or a Punchie....... Day Time dribbler I'm still struggling with that one.

Mark, this is where even good men can underestimate themselves ..... we all have the capacity to be all things ..... in one post it is possible to be a numb-nut ... in another you may be a salad dodger ..... in another a Punchie or a dribbler ... no one should be forced to limit themselves to one persona .....

I am certain that the god botherers and the German speaking mullet wearers, unlike the selfie takers are capable of rational thought and insightful comment on occassions ...

My stance is to strive to be all things .... just not simultaneously ..... therein lies the PPC ....
Bring back @Stronger2gether...... he started a lot of this ****.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10