It was Des all along coaching thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Who do you think will be coaching us next year?

• Total voters
Don't get so testy .... if you keep trying hard you will eventually get something right ....

Sorry if you believe the club owners are above reproach ..... I think they are a tragedy of almost bibllical proportions ....... it has taken me 10 years of supporting and waiting and hoping these clowns would change .... daily I am treated to evidence that is unlikely ....
Haven’t they only had sole ownership for 3 years? Wasn’t a lot of this started long ago.

The revolving door of ceos if my memory serves me correctly (which it usually does) was started when Mayer was sacked after delmege formed a block on the board that wouldn’t renew his contract. It was only the two penn seats out of 7 that voted to support him. That was in 2009, 1 year after a premiership.

So I think while you are right and there is a lot to be frustrated about, memories seem to be shifting and changing all the time. There’s been a lot of blame to go around for stuff within that 10 years you refer to

Haven’t they only had sole ownership for 3 years? Wasn’t a lot of this started long ago.

The revolving door of ceos if my memory serves me correctly (which it usually does) was started when Mayer was sacked after delmege formed a block on the board that wouldn’t renew his contract. It was only the two penn seats out of 7 that voted to support him. That was in 2009, 1 year after a premiership.

So I think while you are right and there is a lot to be frustrated about, memories seem to be shifting and changing all the time. There’s been a lot of blame to go around for stuff within that 10 years you refer to

10 years ago we were winning a premiership. Therefore whatever decisions were being made at that time appeared correct.

10 years later we are one game away from the wooden spoon, and there is no silver lining to be seen or heard.

The decisions today are horrible.

10 years ago we were winning a premiership. Therefore whatever decisions were being made at that time appeared correct.

10 years later we are one game away from the wooden spoon, and there is no silver lining to be seen or heard.

Penns pride will cost Manly

If Penn really wants to right this listing ship and now counting Madge out, to me that only leaves 2 options and thats Hasler or Toovey
If the expense of Penns pride is less than the continuation of the heamoraging of members and crowds and sponsorships then it has to be one of those 2
If the expense of Penns pride is more we will get Carty and then that expense of pride cost will balloon with dire consequences.
Hasler or Tooves know the place and will bring back members and sponsors and most importantly the missing Manly gene that seems to have been bred out lately
The gene that gives a team mental and physical strength,the gene that doesn’t give up 20 point leads, that doesn’t lose 6/7 matches by 1/2 points ,the gene that doesn’t give 20 point head starts ,the gene that gives them thier identity as part of one of the most feared and reveared footballing dynastys in the NRL
Come on Mr Penn parsimonious pride can be expensive and to what end?Everyone will be behind you and the club if those guys are back leading the Mighty Manly Seagles, you know its the right and logical choice
Go Manly

Last edited:

Huh? That doesn’t really relate to what I was saying. Woodsie was talking about instability. I was simply pointing out that there’s plenty of blame in that last ten years and making the point that our revolving door of CEO’s started with ousting the one that was there for the 2008 premiership 6 months after it. And it wasn’t done by the penns.

Some have rose colored glasses and winning papers over everything. As I’ve eluded to elsewhere if we start winning I think a lot gets forgotten

As much as I wanted Madge, it doesn’t make much sense business wise. He wanted to replace all additional staff which I’m assuming would cost mega bucks in contract payouts. It is what it is, I will support who ever they name as coach.

As much as I wanted Madge, it doesn’t make much sense business wise. He wanted to replace all additional staff which I’m assuming would cost mega bucks in contract payouts. It is what it is, I will support who ever they name as coach.
Maguire was ok with Ballin ....but wanted total control and decisions on extra coaching staff....kind of standard for a top grade coach.

Short term pain for long term gain.

We are going to end up with a rubbish football department that will coach us to the spoon. Wait and see how much money Penn and co make then. The memberships and gate takings will be massive, no doubt.

Penn needs to f#&k right off.

And the revenue from success wouldn't more than offset the cost?

Small thinking, small results.

No personal offence Andy...but this is NOT business sense.

And the revenue from success wouldn't more than offset the cost?

Small thinking, small results.

No personal offence Andy...but this is NOT business sense.
Exactly ,its false economy penny pinching on coaching staff when you have more than the seeds of a good team ,i mean FMD DCE has just been thrown the keys to the Aussie test team that now inlcudes turbo s BK etc,not including all the kiwi reps as well AFB Marty etc
If thats not enough reason to have a top shelf coaching structure i dont know what is

But then again. Souths didn't want a top grade coach either, and only a couple of years or so after winning the competition.
I think it was more a case of Souths having a hangover after winning after 43 years. Madge had done what Souths required of him so they moved him on. What he did at Souths is similar in some ways to what we need at Manly. Madge is a top grade coach with a top grade record, and we missed out.

Huh? That doesn’t really relate to what I was saying. Woodsie was talking about instability. I was simply pointing out that there’s plenty of blame in that last ten years and making the point that our revolving door of CEO’s started with ousting the one that was there for the 2008 premiership 6 months after it. And it wasn’t done by the penns.

Some have rose colored glasses and winning papers over everything. As I’ve eluded to elsewhere if we start winning I think a lot gets forgotten

What probably concerns me more than anything is my "percieved" nature of Penn ...... that is the apparent failure of every professional and personal relationship that he has had with everybody connected to the club...

I ask a simpe question .... (I don't know the answer) .... how many of the past directors, shareholders, CEO's, offices staff, coaches, players, Eagles Angels and others do you think are mates with Penn or willl send him a Xmas card .....

Whilst being liked is not a prerequistite for an owner ..... some level of respect is ..... and the "apparent" lack of both is a worry ...

As I stated .. I don't know .... but I do know that Max Delemege will probably get a few thousand .....

Last edited:

Don't think it would be mega bucks as there was only a handful of them anyway not like the bigger clubs with a few dozen staff

With Bennett likely to leave the Broncos before next season , could also be a factor in Madge not accepting the Manly coaching gig just recently . Negotiations looked to have been occurring for at least some weeks previously so any preference by Maguire to bring his own staff presumably would have been raised fairly early in the peace or initial negotiation stage . So also presumably this would have not been accepted by Maguire initially and talks would then have not still continued for some extended time then . A full time i st grade coaching role would surely still beat just some part time international coaching role so by declining the Manly head coaching role , quite a distinct possibility that an alternative opportunity may have appeared as an option [ such as the Broncos ] for him last week or so . Still no indication that Henry is coming into calculations at present , this Elliot from the Storm system looks all right but again no suggestion right now that he is being considered . An official announcement will no doubt be expected soon , whether it will be broadly be accepted by the majority of Manly supporters will be another matter of course but really have to allow any new head coach and the playing group for next season the opportunity to get on with it to produce the best results ,

The question is whether our owner is serious about wanting success on the footy field. Frankly I can't see a formula for success at present rather a cheap fix brought about only by Barrett giving our owner the ****s. Such was the stubbornness that dumb decisions followed including the extension of under performing coaching staff. I know why it was done but it was done for the wrong reasons. There is an old saying when you are in a hole stop digging. It's time to start climbing out and unfortunately there is a price to pay. You have to give somebody else the wheel from time to time, organisations are often crippled by control freaks. No doubt our owner is gun shy after receiving some poor advice from those he placed around him over the last few years. But pick the right people and trust them, there is no other option if success is what is sought.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10