Kelepi

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Freagle

Bencher
There is an article on the Daily CRapograph that is behind their paywall, but states that Kelepi is the NRL's strongest. Anyone have a subscription and able to post a clip on here?

Guessing it is similar to the one in the Manly Daily, which states he can deadlift 300kg, bench 185kg and squat 260kg. To put that in perspective...George Rose could bench 185kg, which I think is our biggest bench lift on record as a club. Kapow deadlifts around 300kg as well during the offseason... George Burgess is listed as squatting the heaviest weight in the NRL in 2017, with 250kg. Most other 'strongest in club' records have them squatting "around 200kg".

The man is a unit...

He is built wide and low to the ground and rolls at the opposition like a bowling ball made out of steel . He is a one direction player and that is straight and hard and I hope our coaching staff can teach him some balls skills .

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...s/news-story/020dc47f89a002f86cb7ed60a300bf7d

HE is the player not wanted by Parramatta who has emerged as one of the strongest players at the Sea Eagles and has now won a spot in the NRL squad for Friday night’s NRL opener against the Knights in Newcastle.

Kelepi Tanginoa has joined Marty Taupau, Addin Fonua-Blake and Toafofoa Sipley are the four big lifters in the Manly squad who devour a heavy iron diet in the gym.

“He has phenomenal strength and he had that raw power when he turned up,” said Sea Eagles Head of Physical Performance Dan Ferris.

Right now Tanginoa is squatting an eye-watering 260kg, dead lifts 300kg and bench presses 185kg.

-There is a bit more but I don't think we are legally supposed to paste the whole thing and I don't wanna get Dan into trouble.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...s/news-story/020dc47f89a002f86cb7ed60a300bf7d

HE is the player not wanted by Parramatta who has emerged as one of the strongest players at the Sea Eagles and has now won a spot in the NRL squad for Friday night’s NRL opener against the Knights in Newcastle.

Kelepi Tanginoa has joined Marty Taupau, Addin Fonua-Blake and Toafofoa Sipley are the four big lifters in the Manly squad who devour a heavy iron diet in the gym.

“He has phenomenal strength and he had that raw power when he turned up,” said Sea Eagles Head of Physical Performance Dan Ferris.

Right now Tanginoa is squatting an eye-watering 260kg, dead lifts 300kg and bench presses 185kg.

-There is a bit more but I don't think we are legally supposed to paste the whole thing and I don't wanna get Dan into trouble.
I don't think we will be intimidated by any forward pack with Beasts like Tangi , Marty , and Brown in our pack .

Manly forward Kelepi Tanginoa may be the strongest man in rugby league
DEAN RITCHIE, The Daily Telegraph
March 6, 2018 5:30p

• MEET the man giving Marty Taupau a run for his money in the gym and making a play for the title of rugby league’s strongest man.

Manly forward Kelepi Tanginoa has forced his way onto Manly’s interchange bench for Friday’s round-one clash with Newcastle at a packed McDonald Jones Stadium after some impressive preseason performances.

“He has most of the club records — he has broken them all,” Sea Eagles teammate Addin Fonua-Blake said.

BENCHED: Austin out of Canberra’s starting side

SQUADS: Who’s in for Round 1?

Standing at just 180cm and weighing 103kg, second-rower Tanginoa has bench pressed 185kg but could “easily” push through the 200kg barrier, according to Manly’s head of physical performance, Dan Ferris.

He can dead lift a staggering 300kg and also completed a 260kg back squat just last week.

Tanginoa’s name is all over the Sea Eagles’ gymnasium honour board and left teammates, used to seeing powerhouse Taupau dominate in the gym, stunned.

d30b9f276be1d08c93ecc7d33b97196a

media_cameraTanginoa could challenge Martin Taupau as league’s strongest man.
Manly have tapped into Tanginoa’s incredible natural strength, partnering him alongside 190cm, 112kg monster Taupau in the gym

Ferris believes Tanginoa, who played 17 NRL games for Parramatta and North Queensland before joining the Sea Eagles last year, could surpass Taupau’s 190kg bench press.

“Kelepi is our strongest now, pound for pound, he is a powerhouse,” Ferris said.

“He could have a 200kg bench press easily if we pushed it.”

Fonua-Blake added: “He won’t tell you the truth, I think he out-lifts Marty. Kelepi is the best in the team for lifting weights.

“He is strong, powerful and fast — he’s a big block of units. I know he could lift 200kg easily.”

Having failed to lock down a regular first-grade position, despite debuting for Parramatta in 2013, the Sea Eagles believe they’ve found the key to unlocking Tanginoa’s potential.

“He is the type of athlete you can’t put a limit on,” Ferris said.

dea7a3db130ffb5b11642e264078198b

media_cameraTanginoa joined Manly midway through last season.
“From day one he turned up and absolutely ripped in.

“Him and Marty go back and forth and push each other — it’s been great for Marty to have some competition actually. We have pushed them both this year and Kelepi has shone through. He has increased his strength and his fitness.

“Marty is definitely one of our strongest but right alongside him now is Kelepi, who has a natural strength but also trains well. He had that raw potential, we just had to capture it.”

Tanginoa, 24, told The Daily Telegraph he was driven in the gym by Taupau.

“I like to train with Marty a lot — he is so strong, such a big bloke,” Tanginoa said. “He pushes me to lift more and we keep each other competitive. He is the strongest in the NRL.

“I have lifted 185kg. Marty lifts the same, maybe a bit more. I have tried to knuckle down this preseason. I feel as fit and strong as I ever have.

“Strength plays a big part of our game in the middle. You have to have strength and power. It’s vital. I pride my game on running hard and tackling hard.

“It would be good to run out against Newcastle. I want to take this opportunity. I have been on the fringes of the NRL for a couple of years so I haven’t ‘got there’ yet. I want to take it with both hands and go all out.

“I want to prove to myself that I deserve to have a spot and to show my ability. I want to do my thing. I just want to rip in with a bit of heart, that’s all that matters to me.”
[URL='https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/parramatta-eels-big-men-fire-back-at-peter-sterling-veiled-ship-about-forward-pack/news-story/90720606a611bdb3de80ba071490b355?origUrl=true'] [/URL]

Last edited:
There is an article on the Daily CRapograph that is behind their paywall, but states that Kelepi is the NRL's strongest. Anyone have a subscription and able to post a clip on here?

Crapograph - lol

FYI - chrome and firefox have a free add on (a few actually) that blast through paywalls.

Called something like "Anti-paywall", they take 30 seconds to install then read away you rolling kings, heave away, haul away...

Crapograph - lol

FYI - chrome and firefox have a free add on (a few actually) that blast through paywalls.

Called something like "Anti-paywall", they take 30 seconds to install then read away you rolling kings, heave away, haul away...

That's how I read DT articles too, my phone seems to break past the pay wall every time. Hopefully Kelepi will break through just as many walls of defences with just as much ease! : )

Watched this bloke play last year and posted that I was impressed with his energy and workload.

He is an impressive performer, but for mine he is a backrower, at 6' foot and 103kg's he is at the dwarf end of props and will get rag dolled more often than not ..... but on the edges ....... he will hunt and kill his own .....

Watched this bloke play last year and posted that I was impressed with his energy and workload.

He is an impressive performer, but for mine he is a backrower, at 6' foot and 103kg's he is at the dwarf end of props and will get rag dolled more often than not ..... but on the edges ....... he will hunt and kill his own .....
He is the same height as Paul Gallen and Gallon had success playing prop at SOO level . Front row is about power play and for mine Kelepi has proven to be a powerhouse . I watched him in the trial game against the Sharks and Kelepi molested them in front of their home crowd. He absolutely screwed the Sharks pack . He was very dominant .

He is built wide and low to the ground and rolls at the opposition like a bowling ball made out of steel . He is a one direction player and that is straight and hard and I hope our coaching staff can teach him some balls skills .
He has great footwork at the line and good leg speed as well.

5 foot 10 actually

The shorter the better with his crazy leg speed, dynamic power and low centre of gravity.
I remember watching his 1st game for us and thought to myself his footwork will murder sides down the track.
Fully agree .... but not at prop ...

Shorter people have a lesser distance to bench press. 185 seems average. Tiger woods can do 130kg. Is it 1 rep or ten. I put more stock in squats and dead lifts.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8