Killer announces his retirement

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
http://www.sportingnews.com/league-...etire-at-the-end-of-the-season-sea-eagles-nrl

By Chris Danks
Published on Apr. 26, 2016
Jamie Lyon has casually announced his retirement, effective at the end of the season.

While the 34-year-old may have lost a step or two, he remains one of the most reliable defensive centres in the NRL.

"I know it’s time, I’ve been playing for a long time now so the body is a little bit achey and all that sort of thing," he unexpectedly said at a press conference Wednesday.

"It’s sort of hard to get up for a little bit so really looking forward to the end of the season and, yeah, I had a good run."

While the announcement is unexpected, it wasmn't a quick decision for the former NSW and Test rep. "It’s been ongoing for a little while. Baz wanted me to hang around and play another year, [head of physical performance]Dan Ferris as well. I wanted to but the body and the mind… I just know it’s the right time."

Having been a footballer most of his adult life, Lyon admits things will be different around the house from next year, but don't expect to see him gunning for his PGA Tour card anytime soon.

“I just had a few holes at Mona Vale then, I didn’t play good so I don’t think I’ll be a pro, that’s for sure."

Looking ahead to Saturday night's clash with North Queensland at Brookvale, Lyon is well aware that the former fortress needs to regain its fearsome reputation. "We owe the fans to give them a couple of wins and we haven’t played our best there."

"We were in it for a lot of the game our last time out against Parra so we want to get out there and put on a good show. "

"I want to play well for the boys, the club and get as many wins as we can and play some good footy."

I know we’ve got some good players in there and we haven’t really scratched our potential."

Currently on 285 games, Lyon should join the 300 club by season's end if he can stay healthy.

I honestly can't pay this man enough respect! Not once has he been anything less than a true gentleman to the game. He continuously puts it all on the line week in week out to do his best for the team. He came to our club when we were building and he has been a major part to our success over the past 10 years. I hope we find somewhere in the club for this legend because he has shown maroon and white runs through his veins. Thankyou Jamie and you will truely go down as one of not just Manly but a true NRL great!

Very sad, he is certainly up there with our very best - interesting to note he wasn't tapped as suggested.

Well done on a terrific career Jamie - you have done yourself and your family proud. Us fans will never forget what you have done for us and our club

wow. I didn't expect this announcement in rd 9!

I am sad, but happy for him and his family. I wanted the inevitable to be staved off but knew time waits for no one.

A true champion and I was hoping he'd get at least 2 more shots at a premiership. (We'll be even better next year.)

Sometimes you just hate seeing era's begin to end.

I hope he makes the 300 club.

What a great player.

Last edited:
Felt like this announcement has been coming for a while - but echo the other sentiments - retires a Manly legend.

I didn't see Bozo play - but in my 30+ years watching Manly I cant think of any better to pull on our jersey.

History repeating ??? in terms of his centre replacement. After all Jamie himself became a much better centre after a year or 2 at 5/8 developing his game. Paves the way for an announcement or two for signings in the halves I'd say speculatively.

Killer ranks as one of our greatest ever players and captains ago joined our club a decade ago and made it a whole lot better. His greatest asset is his leadership and calmness that ensued the team stayed at the top for so long. Who ever replaces him has a hard act to follow. My lasting image of him is scoring the final try in the 2011 grand final. We have all been so fortunate that he is an eagle. Congratulations on a brilliant career.

The Semi miss shows the legs are no longer keeping up with the mind. He'd have had Semi for breakfast a year or two ago. Very difficult to replace in attack and defence, leadership and even goal kicking (around 90% this year!)

Hopefully there's plans in place for a good goal kicker as 6 point jumps do plenty for team confidence and POTB.

A true champion knows what best for the team and can put his ego aside for the betterment of the club (unlike others we have witnessed these past years) Jamie Lyon you are a legend. I do think you could have played out another year but after watching you over the years, more often than not, you make the correct decisions. Dally M Best Centre 4x. Dally M Captain of the Year 2x. Safe to say, Manly centre for team of the century and beyond. Thanks for all your service, the premierships and heart. You'll be sorely missed.

I think its the right move. Killer has been the best centre in the comp for a long time and he is not getting any younger. Its a pity we don't have the team and luck with injuries so far to send him out with another premiership.

This is nothing more than a come get me plea for Parra...although he might be a bit young for them

Seriously there was a long period where when he was out we would be pushing uphill to get a result. Our golden era started with him...a true legend

He has done this club proud, and I am so pleased he decided to make Manly his club. Never says a bad word about anyone, never loses his cool, he must rank up there with blokes like the Beaver as one of the most respected figures in the game.

(And oh yeah, also one of the greatest players its been my privilege to see!)

Jamie Lyon (Killer )all class
Will go down in history as a manly champion and all deserved.

He is one of a kind captain and will be missed by us all.

Thank you killer for all that you have given to this club!!

Now surely if this doesn't provide motivation to our team to want to play finals footy and give our club legend the opportunity to play one more finals campaign before he retires then nothing will.

Again killer so glad you chose to play for us, our club has been so much better off because of it.

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4