Lack of Energy

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Looked like our forwards were matching them early, then after those repeat sets after repeat sets understandably sapped all energy and Panthers found it easy to dominate the ruck.

I thought Manly rolled off the ruck quicker for fear of a 6 to go, which happened a lot on the 4th tackle. Could also hear the ref call out roll away or release as soon as Manly made a tackle, panthers on the other hand were allowed to muscle up and really slow the play the ball down.

I think we will be fine in the forwards with more possession. We only had 35% possession and Panthers are the best defensive side in comp.

My biggest fear is still the hooker. We don't have any direction or attack and teams will continue to Target Tom. Big worry
This is the most sensible and accurate post I’ve read post game. It’s also the first game of the year! Next week doesn’t get any easier v Easts but if we get the 6 agains that the Riff had tonight we can just as easily produce a similar performance. I still honestly believe the biggest blight on the game is the 6again rule, have said it from day one. They’ve now culled it inside 40metres however a 6again on tackle 4 40 meters out is still a huge advantage over a penalty in the middle of the field 30 out. Giving away a penalty never swung momentum the way 6 agains do and if you get a few against you in a row like we did, it can kill a contest. I’m not taking anything away from Penrith they were at their clinical best albeit aided by the ref at times. Looking forward to Easts at home and sone sharing of the 9 between Croker and Lawton.

Spot on @Simonmyers11.
I couldn’t believe the amount of times l heard the ref call “stay square Jake/Taniela/Sean etc” when the tackle was barely complete and the Penrith player was trying to crawl past the mark.
In one set it was four tackles in a row, the tackler was square but the ball carrier wasn’t.

Also, whatever we think of the makeup of the bench, losing Lawton as soon as he came on didn’t help matters in the fatigue department.

We lost to Penrith who’ve won 18 in a row, lost six in two years and at home in front of the first home crowd in something like 8 months.
It’s not like we gave up two points that every other team will get.

And hey, we’re something like 20 points better off in our F/A after Rd 1 last year.

Don’t get me wrong, l hate us losing and yell at the TV as much as anyone but….

I'm reading a bit of "oh we were in it early then copped some dodgy 6 agains and that was the beginning of the end"

To be honest I made that mistake last year. A heap of times i thought "Oh we looked so great in the first 10 minutes versus Souths and then (insert 6 again calls, or Keppie dropped the ball, or ...made an error, etc).

Whatever it is, as soon as things don't go our way v the Top3 teams we capitulate. There is enough of a sample size for that to be fact now.

I'm sure we were all hoping for these things to be addressed over the offseason. And surely they were? Surely Des who apparently picks apart games with a fine tooth comb knows the issues. So is it just a fact that the current squad don't have it in them to beat the Top3 teams consecutively in the finals to win the title?

I think we are focused on what we did or didn't do because I thought that the Penrith team played an outstanding game plan. We could only ever play the game the opposition allowed. Their kicking game was brilliant - kick the ball deep to the corner - how many times was Saab smashed? Luckily for Penrith the refs didn't call 5 of them as offside. I was concerned last night so replayed the game on slowmo and on quite a few times the defense went early.

So with the field position we are taking it back continually from the 10 metre mark. The issue this highlighted was how slow we were getting back. Some players are still getting back in line after tackle 2 or 3. The Penrith forwards were smashing our wingers and centres trying to do forwards job. You can't attack if you are 4th tackle on the 20 or 30 mtr mark.

Also we just got smashed in the middle of the ground, Penrith were making 5 - 10 metres with runners, we were making 2 or 3, if not losing ground.

We just got tied and that reflected. Thought we were still in the game at half time 12-6 but really that could have been a 40+ loss.

Given Penrith are the Premiers and most consider a top 2 or 3 team, it really wasn't that bad given some of our performances early in each season for the past 9 years.

Now it's on the team and the coaching staff to call it as it was and learn and fix by next round. If the team is what they say they are then replays of the past opening 4 rounds is unacceptable. Maybe they were overconfident last night as they really looked shellshocked.

Doesn't get any better the next day does it. Somebody wake me when Paseka decides to find some energy and aggression and use that massive frame. Get Spud into his ear.

Wont it be nice to watch the boys on the offensive and throwing no-lookers? #nextweek
Would have been great , just like the try we scored last night from confusion and decided not to kick and just throw it around . Those are the unstructured stuff that our team needs as we have the best back 3 in the competition .We also need a speedy centre who can step and good on defense .Hope when we get to the finals we will have a team to win it .

Couldn't beat them without Cleary, Im not getting over enthused about this year, just looks like a top 8 finish for me..
I know it's only round 1.. but it is a lil concerning that there seems to be no real improvement on last year. Same squad.. same result ??

I am reading a bit of "the sky is falling here",people made that mistake early last year too.
Nothing new about that!

My take, Pennies got a wake up call getting thrashed in their trial. As newly crowned premiers in front of their home crowd, they were really up for this and their play at times seemed like a hurricane. The confidence from last year's triumph was apparent and manifested in an almost error-free performance.

Manly was up for the game but... we started as favourites, did that take a little edge off them? We made some errors and soon the flood of pressure and possession from the energised (crazed?) Panthers wore us down.

For Manly, a timely lesson in the intensity required in big matches. Great to get that reminder in Round 1.
Panthers? Even with Cleary to return I doubt they can do much better and I still predict they will falter by year's end.
Disappointing loss of course but I see no reason to change my Manly v Eels grand final prediction :)

TBH I don't think it was a case of getting thrashed in the trials that motivated them to play like that last night, I reckon Ivan had them focused on starting the season proper with a bang & wasn't too fussed about turning up for the trials.

They were on another level to us last night, fitter, faster, stronger & yes, the beneficiaries of plenty of ref decisions.

I don't know what the solution is - is it simply a case of each player making 5% or 10% more effort or is it something more drastic, like wholesale player changes?

I think our forwards put in plenty of effort - Sipley & Marty ran hard & direct, Keppie was making post-contact metres late in the game & he & Paseka were hitting hard in tackles - they were just monstered by Penrith's forwards.

To a man, Penrith played with grim determination while we just looked like we'd been ambushed.

Along with the rest of you, I'm really disappointed with the overall performance last night. Lack of energy is one way to express it but it's just a general attitude, to play with purpose and intent. The Panthers had that last night and to be fair, they've had it just about every game for the past 2 seasons.
Collectively as a team, Manly need to have a genuine belief that they can compete and win. In the first month of last season & again last night, they didn't seem like they had that belief. As soon as things got a bit hard, Penrith got some repeat sets, or we made some mistakes, it seemed like we couldn't compete with them.
I remember opposition coaches talk about it last year, you're going to get some things go against you in a game. It's how you handle those, that often determines if you can stay in the game or just fold and get beaten. I'm sure Des knows this & has plans to address it but if the players don't buy into it, we'll see more of the same as last night.

Looked like our forwards were matching them early, then after those repeat sets after repeat sets understandably sapped all energy and Panthers found it easy to dominate the ruck.

I thought Manly rolled off the ruck quicker for fear of a 6 to go, which happened a lot on the 4th tackle. Could also hear the ref call out roll away or release as soon as Manly made a tackle, panthers on the other hand were allowed to muscle up and really slow the play the ball down.
This!!
I hope the referees look at the tape and see the difference in refereeing between the two.

I think we’re clutching at straws if we think the refs were responsible for last night’s defeat. It always looks like the team you’re supporting is hard done by at the ruck because you are watching through a pro-Manly lens...willing the ruck to speed up when we have the ball, etc.

Trouble is, we ran one out and were gang tackled so the refs allow for a longer stay in the ruck...when Penrith ran, they found their front and thus, we are made to get up quicker.

Further, the two no-try’s were probably tries in my book. At a pinch you could say the first was an obstruction but only a technicality...Foran was a long long way from stopping it. The second was a blatant try IMO.

When ya smashed into oblivion like last night, you can’t blame a referee.

I think we will be fine in the forwards with more possession. We only had 35% possession and Panthers are the best defensive side in comp.

My biggest fear is still the hooker. We don't have any direction or attack and teams will continue to Target Tom. Big worry
I agree with matching them early and the problem at 9, but don’t think the refs were the reason. Penrith were rolling through the middle with superior leg speed, which is why they were given six again because when the opposition is rolling, you aren’t allowed as long to hold them down. It was us being outplayed by the opposition, not the ref.

They played with a much greater intensity than us for nearly the full 80 minutes.

I remember a couple of periods late in the 2nd half where they backed off a bit but soon came back full strength.

They're freakishly fit, fast, mobile, strong & determined.

We kept up with their pace for the first 10-15 minutes but you could see us struggling after that.

Is it simply an issue of fitness?

They played with a much greater intensity than us for nearly the full 80 minutes.

I remember a couple of periods late in the 2nd half where they backed off a bit but soon came back full strength.

They're freakishly fit, fast, mobile, strong & determined.

We kept up with their pace for the first 10-15 minutes but you could see us struggling after that.

Is it simply an issue of fitness?
I think there’s a bit more to it than just lacking fitness...the type of forward pack we have is big and cumbersome. Penrith are faster and more mobile. It suits the modern game. Most teams would gas against the likes of Penrith, but having a leaner and faster pack would help.

Penrith controlled the Manly attack with 3-4 man tackles giving more liberty and time to "hang around" though agree certainly they were pushing the timeline, which again, when you are making good contact - will gain the defence extra lattitude....their line speed though again questionable, may have appeared even quicker as our play balls and service from dummy half was cumbersome, playing into the hands of the rush defence and credit to Penrith for he intensity over the 80 in this dept....
The Penrith attack was again twice the tempo, as the contacts from Manly were off (apart from the odd Keppie or Jake shot) and only 2 players in the tackle allowed less time in the tackle....plus Penrith with momentum were taking an extra 1/2 step after winning the ruck, putting the markers offside, basically blowing up the middle and creating panic on the edges and often a 2 on 1 out wide...
If you do everything at a higher energy, you will earn some lattitude and the Penrith side done just that.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11