Lack of Energy

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
The result in itself doesn't matter it was 1 game against the best of the best.

In a way its better we didn't win. Just imagine the delusional optimistic craziness on here had we won.

Fair enough.

Given our past 4 games though, and I'm just being honest, I don't think there's a blue chance in hell we beat The Chooks next week either.

Not that big of a fan saying we lost X consecutive games last year so it's okay to do it again this year.

Fair enough.

Given our past 4 games though, and I'm just being honest, I don't think there's a blue chance in hell we beat The Chooks next week either.

Not that big of a fan saying we lost X consecutive games last year so it's okay to do it again this year.
I agree it was deflating but as I keep saying its 1 game. We don't yet deserve to beat the Panthers so until we raise our game its just another loss to learn from.

I really don't think there was a lack of effort last night. We will learn and play better.

Scored a lottery try on halftime and could easily have gone to the sheds down by 24+ points down, so not convinced about the improvement
I do agree Manly will improve and feel confident will again be a top 6 team....but my point remains when the game hits intense levels against quality opposition, Manly lose the arm wrestle and though battle on....the scoreboard decay's....until they find an inner resilience, intensity and fight fire with fire - it's ominous the same fate will play out come final's time
I'm confident will look comparable to the best teams through the season and want nothing but success.....beating Roosters up next week would be a step in the right direction- let's see how we go...
you just contradicted your own answer mate. you say we scored a lucky try and could have gone into halftime 24+ points down! So even without the lucky try, we go in only 12 down so that's a huge improvement wouldn't you say?

one of my points earlier was we competed this time. Last year we would have been smacked by 40+ in that game but last night we hung in and at least showed some resistance. That is an improvement.

its a long season and as evident last year the fat lady can be shut up even after 4 losses to start the year.

Not to worry guys… In round 3 we’ll pump the bulldogs by 30, DCE will score a double, he’ll get given the 3 MVP points by everyone on here and it’ll be all happy days again. We are flat track bullies. It’s as simple as that.

We played the defending premiers at home, at a ground where they haven't lost a game in 18 games. We played a team that has only lost 6 games in two years. The Panthers played as well as I have seen them play in that time. They were outstanding, had all the field position and all the possession. They executed their game plan to absolute perfection, in targeting Saab with the high ball, and then isolating and nullifying Turbos all night. They were close to perfect and we were pretty average across the field, with no discernible game plan. But we competed, and generally defended pretty well. Our attack was also nonexistent as we just didn't have the field position or possession for DCE/Foran to put any real pressure on the Panthers defence. At no stage on Thursday night did we look like getting on top of the defending premiers, and Des has a lot of work to do in getting the team ready to beat the Roosters next week. Yes we were lacking energy but I don't think that will happen again two weeks in a row. Go Manly.

you just contradicted your own answer mate. you say we scored a lucky try and could have gone into halftime 24+ points down! So even without the lucky try, we go in only 12 down so that's a huge improvement wouldn't you say?

one of my points earlier was we competed this time. Last year we would have been smacked by 40+ in that game but last night we hung in and at least showed some resistance. That is an improvement.

its a long season and as evident last year the fat lady can be shut up even after 4 losses to start the year.
There's no contradiction mate - we were lucky to be so close, that does not mean we have improved, though I think we potentially can and like yourself - I would love to see it and will keep the faith
I personally feel Penrith had 2 tries disallowed 1st half that I have seen awarded 1000 times over, theres your extra 12 points and though the first 10 minutes Manly were in the arm wrestle, couldn't go with the opposition and were dominated from that point
The reality is we played a clearyless Penrith side and got spanked
I see Manly coming good and like everyone on here, would absolutely see them shoot for a Premiership in 2022....and still have hope and belief they can....if overcoming this consistent issue
Manly need to overcome the fact they struggle against the better teams, especially when they play physical "finals" style games....I hope when Roosters try strong arm tactics next week Manly get into the dog fight and win the bone, if and when they do, it will make a statement and give the players belief when it plays out in the games that count come Finals time, because unless Manly can adapt to that rugged, up tempo style of footy....will unfortunately be a rerun of the Storm, South's 2021 finals

Last edited:
@Eagle of London fact that both Des and Jake said the result doesn't matter , the process is, concerns me mate.

That's a really, really ****ty attitude. Bellamy, Cleary and others would NEVER adhere to that methodology
What! Bellamy is the ultimate 'process' guy. He's famous for reducing the game to clear simple tasks for his players and devising game plans that don't rely on individual brilliance.

And fyi I clearly recall Des saying 'its all about the process' way back in 2008. Which you may recall was a year in which some Manly fans were actually claiming Des can't coach attack. Well we know how that turned out!

As for Jake saying it - Jake wants to win, surely no-one can doubt that?

There was one moment at which I raised my eyebrows. Crichton's try.

Tommy came across as last line and appeared to get to him but just put his hand on him and let him ground the ball. I thought he could have tried to barrel him in a bear hug hold and try to keep the ball off the ground.

Probably wouldn't have worked but I was a bit surprised he didn't attempt it. Defeatist attitude? Can't help thinking Billy Slater would have leapt on Crichton and clung on for dear life.

Although I only watched it once so possibly being unfair on Turbo, no doubt someone will set me straight :)

Penrith seem to have mastered the 3 man tackle where they stop you, hold you up, then actually lift you and pull you toward your own try line. It was so effective against most of our tall backs coming out of our end on Thursday. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the new wrestle and the latest blight on the game. By the time they are finished pulling you back 5 metres it takes about 10 seconds after they get entangled in your arms and legs whilst looking like they are trying to get out of the way. Nearly every tackle coming out of our end was like this and it completely killed any momentum. Our forwards barring Huamole were completely man handled out of the game, literally none of our other forwards bent the line or forced Penrith on to the back foot. Penrith were clinical and would have beat most teams on Thursday however we were very lacking, hopefully things improve because we aint winning a comp if we cant perform at that level.

There was one moment at which I raised my eyebrows. Crichton's try.

Tommy came across as last line and appeared to get to him but just put his hand on him and let him ground the ball. I thought he could have tried to barrel him in a bear hug hold and try to keep the ball off the ground.

Probably wouldn't have worked but I was a bit surprised he didn't attempt it. Defeatist attitude? Can't help thinking Billy Slater would have leapt on Crichton and clung on for dear life.

Although I only watched it once so possibly being unfair on Turbo, no doubt someone will set me straight :)
That was my first impression . , Turbo seemed just intent to try to strip the ball when he had every opportunity to bear hug him and every chance to hold him off the ground . Big and strong and experienced enough to manage it and also a bit non plussed why he did not give it a go .

Penrith seem to have mastered the 3 man tackle where they stop you, hold you up, then actually lift you and pull you toward your own try line. It was so effective against most of our tall backs coming out of our end on Thursday. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the new wrestle and the latest blight on the game. By the time they are finished pulling you back 5 metres it takes about 10 seconds after they get entangled in your arms and legs whilst looking like they are trying to get out of the way. Nearly every tackle coming out of our end was like this and it completely killed any momentum. Our forwards barring Huamole were completely man handled out of the game, literally none of our other forwards bent the line or forced Penrith on to the back foot. Penrith were clinical and would have beat most teams on Thursday however we were very lacking, hopefully things improve because we aint winning a comp if we cant perform at that level.
Some other sides were doing it last season as well . API seems to be a master now with the technique of lifting a players legs and the bigger men forcing the players back then . Maybe a bit of a challenge for some of the Manly tall timber to manage but should still be manageable with a bit more application .

Some other sides were doing it last season as well . API seems to be a master now with the technique of lifting a players legs and the bigger men forcing the players back then . Maybe a bit of a challenge for some of the Manly tall timber to manage but should still be manageable with a bit more application .
Great point....and a big part of opposition winning these high intensity games...I mean if you win the ruck, your a long way towards winning the game.
Manly opt for a 2 men in a tackle and Penrith were rewarded with the 3-4 man tackle....the results of this tactic speak for themselves.
Thing is, if the defence has control in the tackle and wins time...it means defence is set, numbered up and coming up as the ball is being played, making the attack under constant pressure.
The middle defence is thick around the ruck with bashers and even out wide the defence also has time to get up and shut off the shift.
The Penrith players also won the ground war and found their feet before the Manly players in both attack and defence....this allowed Penrith to play the ball a step up so the dummy half could take off unopposed, while Manly playing the ball, were almost rocking back into the dummy half as had zero momentum and the markers were standing over them....in reality they are the Premiers for good reason and apart from Storm, other sides can't maintain that type of high intensity pressre, so this game could also be seen a good lesson going forward.

That, and the tactic of timing Saab's bomb takes to perfection: wait till he takes it, then grab him by the shoulders / upper body and drag him backwards. They timed these so perfectly it's hard to to think it was a very carefully rehearsed tactic. They weren't really interested in contesting the ball in the air (from Saab), just manhandling him every time he did take it, perhaps for psychological effect as much as territory gain / possible spilled ball.

All in all, Penrith played to their strengths and made sure that we couldn't play to ours. Good coaching strategy from Cleary the Elder.

Billy would have slid in studs first, taken out his ankles then stabbed him repeatedly with a shiv carved from a toothbrush handle that he'd kept concealed in his rectum for the entire game. That's the effort Billy would have given:)

But I thought exactly the same thing when Turbo reluctantly hung out an arm: "Tommy, you're big enough and strong enough to stop him - at least give it a try." I guess the game was gone at that point so it's understandable.

I think there’s a bit more to it than just lacking fitness...the type of forward pack we have is big and cumbersome. Penrith are faster and more mobile. It suits the modern game. Most teams would gas against the likes of Penrith, but having a leaner and faster pack would help.
Exactly what I said on another post - the forward rotation of Sipley/Keppie/Paseka is really bland - they are all very very similar... none really bend the line on every carry... none are super energetic in defence and none really have an offload. Throw Boyle into that and that is a big group of one dimensional players. With Aloiai back in a few weeks and Schu, there is probably only 1 spot there for either Keppie/Paseka - Bullemor takes the other middle - he has leg speed, hopefully Davey is fit to take the other bench spot ... we really need a worker and gap runner and Walker as the 14. Much more balanced side.

Penrith spends a massive amount of time rolling on the mats with wrestling and jujitsu coaches, I know our second-grade side has done some stuff from time to time (no idea about first grade) but we really look like we need to spend a lot more time learning those skills.

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10
10 5 5 -56 10