Manly chase James Roberts

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Zak hardaker is looking for a nrl club for next year. Could be a possibility at center if matai doesn't make it back.

Ahh, no thanks.

"However, there are concerns about Hardaker's behaviour after a string of incidents that have seen him kicked out of England's 2013 World Cup squad for breaking an alcohol ban, suspended for five matches for homophobic abuse during a match against Warrington and ordered to undergo anger management counselling after admitting to assaulting a student."

And no to Roberts.
He's had one good season ( last year ) and that's it and it seems he doesn't learn - he's been sacked from Souths and the Panthers.
The only reason the Bronc's haven't sacked him is because they won't like to admit that Wayne's fatherly touch might not work on him.

More rumours about Roberts but I cannot see it happening if both Snake and Matai stay...

"James Roberts is the latest target of Manly in 2017 – and he is one the club will likely land. Roberts has been awful for the Broncos and while Wayne Bennett can handle off-field misbehaviour he cannot accept on-field mediocrity. Roberts will be at Brookvale in 2017 and good luck handling him in the culture that pervades the Sea Eagles."

http://makingthenut.com/from-the-couch-round-25-5/

• 👍
Reactions: Ben
More rumours about Roberts but I cannot see it happening if both Snake and Matai stay...

"James Roberts is the latest target of Manly in 2017 – and he is one the club will likely land. Roberts has been awful for the Broncos and while Wayne Bennett can handle off-field misbehaviour he cannot accept on-field mediocrity. Roberts will be at Brookvale in 2017 and good luck handling him in the culture that pervades the Sea Eagles."

All depends on the snake and matai situation. We need clarification on snake. He should hang up the boots, we need his 600k and if he stays, i cant see him pushing Tom back to wing

I was going along with that story until it said"Warriors have joined the race for Gillett"As I've said many times before on here,Gillett is going no where,least of all Warriors.Warriors haven't even spoken to him and Gillett threw a better dummy than Brett Kenny to the media about it last week

All depends on the snake and matai situation. We need clarification on snake. He should hang up the boots, we need his 600k and if he stays, i cant see him pushing Tom back to wing

I highly doubt he is staying but if he dose Tom will be center. For mine snake is gone and Toms where he should be.
These talks of us going after Roberts will come at the expense of Matai. I feel if we miss out on Roberts we will keep Matai for 2017.

I highly doubt he is staying but if he dose Tom will be center. For mine snake is gone and Toms where he should be.
These talks of us going after Roberts will come at the expense of Matai. I feel if we miss out on Roberts we will keep Matai for 2017.

Dont see the broncos releasing Roberts either, as Jack reed may have a career ending injury?

Dont see the broncos releasing Roberts either, as Jack reed may have a career ending injury?
They have Tom opacic lined up already for reed's left centre position. Roberts plays right side - killers old slot.

I'm nervous about Roberts. Great attacking weapon and maybe DCE and ferris can work with him on that side to create opportunities for his great pace. But his attitude and commitment have dogged him his whole career. He dropped the Titans like a hot spud as soon as he got half a chance. This year at Broncos hasn't been anything special. I'm not sure why we would be so confident we can turn his career around. I'm also assuming he won't be cheap unless Broncs are going to pay some of his freight, which would be a first for them.

Would rather Tom opacic. Roberts defense is awful. Between Taufua and walker and Roberts and uate paired together both are flanks would be the weakest defensive units in the Comp. we can afford to have one centre in that mould of walker don't think we can manage with two

Im on the fence with Roberts. On a plus he will definitely add spark and a great attacking weapon. There were games for the broncos he was outstanding. But his defense is the biggest concern. Its one of the most important defensive positions on the field and probably the hardest defensive position. That's why i would still be in favor of bringing Whare back. For me he is a great defensive player, but also very strong and quick. I think he will recover from his injuries just fine, same as buhrer has. If Matai goes around one more year, i would be chasing Whare to replace him in 2018. Either way, we need a classy center if not next year the year after.
Other good centers to target next year off contract are;
Aitken, Waqa Blake, Will chambers, Opacic, Simona,

Of the d!ckhesds who have come here to be given a lifeline who has excelled? I'd like opinions. I know most of us would like our money back from Matato but who else has come here and been a success?

Defensively we are very poor, now we are rumoured to be adding Uate and Roberts - boy, that will be two extra gaps in the defensive line to target. If Matai is staying, we don't need anyone yet and should wait until more options become available in 2018.

As long as Parker doesn't become the next Gutherson and get lost in the mix until some other club sees the obvious and snaps him up. If that was to happen due to players like Williame, Uate and even Tafua, then I'd be very disappointed.

Wish we could clone a Craig Innes type - we have had great centre's but this bloke was the most under rated...that fend & super defence...perfect team player.
He was awesome, in fact I have always said that Manly have always been successful when we have had quality centres. Bozo - premierships, O'Connor - premiership, Hill and Innes - premiership, Lyon and Matai - premierships.

Innes was a beaut - just a pity we didn't have him for long.

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4