Manly fullback Brett Stewart looking for highest bidder as get-clause comes to light

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
St George Illawarra Dragons in $1m bid for Brett and Glenn Stewart

EXCLUSIVE by Dean Ritchie The Daily Telegraph November 14, 2011 12:00AM
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/st-george-illawarra-dragons-in-1m-bid-for-brett-and-glenn-stewart/story-e6frexnr-1226193985720

THE Des Hasler fallout at Manly continues, with Brett and Glenn Stewart linked to St George Illawarra in a $1 million-a-year package deal.

The Daily Telegraph has been told the Stewart brothers are privately considering whether to remain at Brookvale after Hasler, their close mate and coach, was sacked.

While Hasler starts life as Canterbury Bulldogs coach this morning, the aftershocks at his old club are expected to continue for some time to come.

Glenn is off contract after next year and Brett is now a free agent due to a clause in his contract. It seems the pair - whose parents still live in the Illawarra - could leave Manly Sea Eagles as a stunning package deal. The Daily Telegraph has been told Brett, in particular, is hurt and angry at Hasler's treatment given his former coach's fierce support during the fullback's sexual assault case.

The brothers were also upset at the sacking of Manly official Peter Peters, who is a great friend of the Stewart family. Peters and Brett and Glenn's father, Barry, are in business together.

Although any deal would be at least six months away, the Dragons want the brothers and would need to reshuffle their salary cap. However, the club has some room to move in its salary cap after Darius Boyd's departure to Newcastle, Tim Moltzen's backflip and Mark Gasnier retiring.

Reluctant to discuss the Bulldogs until now, Hasler told The Daily Telegraph last night he was ready to rip into pre-season training.

He will walk through the gates of Belmore Sports Ground for the first time this morning and meet with assistant coach Jim Dymock and the club's football staff.

"I will then join their pre-season campaign," Hasler said. "There will no doubt be a period of getting to know each other. It's uncharted territory for me and I'll be relying on Jim and the coaching staff.

"Canterbury has a great tradition mixed with a young and adventurous management team. My main focus now is to get the best results we possibly can from this playing group and I know there'll be exciting and tough periods ahead."

The two-time premiership-winning coach was caught in another drama yesterday when confidential emails leaked out about his contract negotiations at Manly and alleged comments he made about former Sea Eagles media manager Peters. Manly players were filthy such documents were given to the media and are more than aware who leaked the sensitive details.

One first-grade player said: "We know who did it. Maybe the person in question would like some stuff leaked about him. That could be some very interesting reading."
Peters said he remains strong friends with Hasler.

"Nothing will come between Des and I. We have been mates through good times and bad times and nothing will stop that," Peter said.

Hasler added: "Zorba and I have had a long and positive friendship. Quite often things are said that are tongue-in-cheek. We enjoy each others personalities and often take the mickey out of one another. But we are great mates and that will never change."

Is it really news that players who will be off contract soon are looking at options? Richie is a joke.
No issue with them looking at what is out there. But in saying that I hope they both stay. Or at least not go to the dogs ;)

As Zorba said they have both bought houses on the northern beaches, but I guess that wouldnt stop you changing clubs I guess

The complete clean out has to happen now, as much as the defections will be offensive to the Fans.

Any disgruntled and obviously misguided Player will not put in for Tooves. Des has brain washed them all, and they think that 'sticking it to the Board' is a valid career option. Every Team has a Board to answer to :dodgy:

...take the mickey out of one another..
the spin from yesterday's 2ky is on. The fact that Des put his opinions about Zorba in writing, and on a Performance Review, is being missed by the Players being filthy about its release, and not the context.

The solidarity that the Team enjoyed lead to their success. Those who leave will realize that it takes time to develop that solidarity in a new Team and maintain it for 26 weeks.

So thanks for the memories, and a welcome to the Players who want to excel as Manly Sea Eagles.:angel:

I must admit I'm always scepticle of articles in the papers ... However re Manly most of the articles so far have become reality which pains me to admit .

Good luck to them both, they could do with the cash and we could do without the drama. The only problem is going to be finding replacements.

No need to worry, it's just Dean Ritchie telling porkies again. Does anybody seriously think the Stewart's would tell him anything. It's what he'd like to see happen, no basis in fact, par for the course with him really.

Moondog said:
No need to worry, it's just Dean Ritchie telling porkies again. Does anybody seriously think the Stewart's would tell him anything. It's what he'd like to see happen, no basis in fact, par for the course with him really.

No but someone in the Hasler camps been leaking to the Telegraph it seems & Peters has always preferred to leak to News limited papers

God said:
Moondog said:

No but someone in the Hasler camps been leaking to the Telegraph it seems & Peters has always preferred to leak to News limited papers
Well they are his employee

Have you clowns not learnt anything over the past 2 years?

Actual Brett quotes? 0

This place has turned into salem with its ongoing witch hunts

Interesting article considering that Zorba works for both the Stewart family and News Ltd.

Actually I think Dean Ritchie may have been in telepathic communication with one of the Stewart family pets. An unnamed source has revealed to me that this is common practice with Daily Telegraph "journalists".

If I was Stewart I would be open, but after reading this thread I'd want to leave. Talk about loyalty.

Ceagle said:
Brett is also well connected with Donny Singe as far as keeping his knee intact for as long as possible.

Brett's knee was looked after by Rickenback our physio who as far as I am aware is staying.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6