Manly in Crisis (a mega thread)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

#crisis ??

• Yes

Votes: 111 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 91 45.0%

• Total voters
The media and fans blaming the "7" for this losing streak is insane to me. We lost the game the week before that and played like garbage. Remember when we lost to Brisbane 38-0 or whatever it was? And that was with turbo..

If you want to have a game that represents different cultures, then you have to deal with the fact that different cultures have different beliefs.

Seriously some of you guys talk crap sore losers looking for someone to blame.. We were out of the race from the dragons loss.. trying to blame the 7 .. look how many injuries we have had and still have…even if the 7 did play that day we still have those injuries to attend to no other team will be competitive with so many out .. pull your heads in
No. We lost to the Dragons because our three best defenders were out with covid. We were never going to win with Jake, Croker, and Davey all missing in the same game. That's what put us in a precarious position and made the game against the Roosters a must win. And then seven players decided the team did not mean enough to them to even show up.
The guys who did turn up that day busted their guts and only lost by 10.
And the next week, when you'd expect that the matyrs would really try to repay their club for listening to their pastors rather than showing up for their employer, they put in a piss poor performance and have ever since.
Don't rewrite history that we were out of the race after the dragons loss. We were not.

If you want to have a game that represents different cultures, then you have to deal with the fact that different cultures have different beliefs.
Of course, a footy team is always made up of different players from different backgrounds. But those players have to want to play together. And whatever else they believe in, they have to believe in each other and the team. Right now, clearly they do not.

If any of the current crop of players don't want to play for Manly - whether they were part of the seven, 10 or 13 or not - the door is that way.

Quantifying things, offloading one or two assistants (and hopefully finding suitable replacement/s) might solve say 5% of the problem. If there is a problem.

Removing/replacing Des, arguably Manly’s greatest coach to date, might solve 15-20% of Manly’s issues. If he is the issue.

Ditching the players who are apparently causing disruption, maybe another 15-20%.

The real issue is the way the club is run, or not run, by Penn and co. Until internal governance and responsibility issues are addressed, appropriate funding is addressed, et al, the organisation will continue to bump along like this. Irrespective of who the coach is, who assists him, who the players are. Manly-Warringah will not become a perennial force in the game again until big changes start happening away from the football dept, then start to percolate into that dept.

We saw again overnight that someone high up is not reading the room, with another ‘down a rabbit hole initiative’ on playing a game in the US. What would be the point when the outfit is such a schmozzle at the moment?

For me the 7 can go..

For whatever reasons, no matter how valid they are to the individuals, they CHOSE to not play… knowing it was a must win game.. and the blokes that were left to go out there and bust their a$&es just to watch the season go down the drain can’t and shouldn’t be happy with them..
Regardless of the crap that’s put out in the media, if half my team scuttled my season by choosing to sit out a must win game I wouldn’t want to play with them again… and in the last few weeks this has shown through pretty clearly.

We also need to scrap the Blacktown garbage..
It’s not working… when your feeder base is an absolute disgrace that can’t win a game, how do you expect to be a competitive nrl side ??? It doesn’t work… we need to stump up the cash and play a manly sea eagles NSW cup team with players we see as potential nrl players… it’s not that f$&king hard a concept to grasp.

Ide rather see us wipe out 80% of this team, start from scratch and lose while we rebuild, as opposed to sitting on our hands and just being happy to be garbage year in, year out while making no improvements..
So how does it currently work with Blacktown vs what you propose? Is it essentially Blacktown is it’s own entity completely and we do not put a cent in? But what we should look at is a fully manly funded junior club? I’m a little confused

insert DCE redrick here, yawn. end of the day like it or not he’s in the top 5 halves in the game right now and unless if the club has a replacement at the ready we simply can’t get rid of him. Don’t get me wrong, he’s not playing well enough and needs to improve (along with the whole team) but there’s more going on atm than just one player imo

Haven't read this whole thread but people predicting a 5 year rebuild or evern total death of club might be reminded, last year the Cows won 7 games and conceded 702 points. Manly has had a multitude of hardships this year and in the end they were too much to bear. Yes its annoying to get flogged but it wouldn't surprise me to see us bounce back next year. Ironically there is potential for our squad to actuallly be more unified after the jersey fiasco. Time will tell.

Losing in the legendary Manly Jersey is Blasphemy

The only redemption is to honor the Great maroon and white colors with a Win

We need to start winning and start to live up to our legendary clubs benchmark of excellence
As the Greatest club the world has ever seen !!!

View attachment 22084
Yes,but I fear I left it to long and left the club in the hands of an imbecile owner and a coach we'll past it,

Never should have given you guys free will.

It's the Dogs mate. Hope isn't required. All we need to do is try a little, and we'll get the cookies.

Des knows the headlines if we lose this one all off season (biggest ever losing streak) and he won't let that happen.

They'll care for that exact reason.
Bulldogs 13+

Manly people on a thread talking about this being the worst ...

Far out, never thought I would see it.

Pep the fk up people, a mini-cleanout and we are good. This is a long way from our nadir

Manly people on a thread talking about this being the worst ...

Far out, never thought I would see it.

Pep the fk up people, a mini-cleanout and we are good. This is a long way from our nadir
Agree. We are not in an unsalvageable position by any stretch. Some nifty recruitment will see us at least competitive

The dread is just amplified because we have an unlikeable team at the moment

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't read this whole thread but people predicting a 5 year rebuild or evern total death of club might be reminded, last year the Cows won 7 games and conceded 702 points. Manly has had a multitude of hardships this year and in the end they were too much to bear. Yes its annoying to get flogged but it wouldn't surprise me to see us bounce back next year. Ironically there is potential for our squad to actuallly be more unified after the jersey fiasco. Time will tell.
A year is a long time in rugby league

I couldn’t be bothered scrolling through all of this thread because it’s tiresome to me. I’ve been following Manly since Bob Fulton became my favourite player as a kid. So since the early 70s. And I’ve seen all of this before.

1979, the year after our magnificent gf win in 78, we missed the semis. Our best player, Grahame Eadie, was in woeful form, playing like he had plastic hands according to Rugby League Week at the time. The club was in disarray, players hated each other (apparently).
We failed again to make the finals in 1980 after signing Boyd, Dorahy and Brown. No spirit, gutless, was how we were described then.
We went on to make the semis in 81, and the GF in 82 and 83 but lost both unfortunately.

I’m not going to bore you with the various other seasons where we were a laughing stock including getting 60 put on us at least twice in the early 2000s. We know what happened after that.

The point is, this is a resilient club and it will bounce back. And I, as a supporter am showing the same resilience. I watched today to the bitter end, pointing out to my young bloke that while it’s disappointing, we stick solid. And if I am going to walk away when things get tough, than I would be embarrassed to show up when things inevitably turn around.

This is not to say that everything’s ok and things don’t need to change. But they will, and I’ll be here when that happens. Starting by watching the boys next week.
Yes we are die hard supporters tru thick and thin..watched the whole game also. Go manly

I never thought I’d be saying this, but I’m open to options. The fact Des is still trotting out the same guys and guys who are leaving has really bothered me. Weekes a couple of glimpses today in his what 8mins! Koula at fb why was he not there sooner? And then there’s Schu sitting on the bench and others. We have nothing to play for now, get those kids sone game time. What do we have to lose seriously?
Yep, no one was expecting a win against the raiders so why not give these younger blokes a chance instead of little cameos at the end of the game. Weekes or Schuster should have started in the halves. We had our 2 best and still got destroyed. How did Chez keep slipping on a dry field. For a bloke that is the top earner and captain he should be setting the standard but not the standard required.

Gus said a week or so ago that as professional players there shouldn’t be ‘nothing to play for’ they are paid to win or at least go down trying.

We are down on troops and get we would struggle to put points on but effort in defence should always be there. Very disappointing

A year is a long time in rugby league
More so now than ever, because nearly all clubs have got good players. The 'big clubs' have more, so can cover injury better. And just as importantly, the resources and know-how to make sure each detail is supported as best as possible.
For the rest, a few things going wrong means a mediocre season (or worse) - and we've had more than a few. Last year Titans were within a hair's breadth of knocking Chooks out of the finals. Knights also made the finals, also knocked off the Chooks in round 1 this year.
I conclude we can go up as quickly as we went down.

Manly is simply trotting out a largely 2 nd string side in recent matches , not too sure what more could be obvious . Almost a complete drop of in form from D C E and Foz and not sure how that could be associated with the the aftermath of jersey gate . Turbo , Saab , Garrick , Jake , Davey , Paseka and i would add Lawtom out of a best game day 17 , Keppie on recent form on the fringes . Just too many key players and stability to make up for and again to add the halfs serious decline in necessary input . Apathy in line speed recently also but probably more to do with the present make up of the pack , ability and motivation wise . Haumole still one of our best forwards however . A couple of doubtful position selections . Give the side a good break after next week , complete injury recovery for the current injured and key players and to keep things into perspective from there .

This situation is incomparable. Unprecedented since probably the chaos during the super league wars, except it's worse. This isn't about money, this is about half a playing roster who couldn't give a rat's arse about the club they play for. How do you rectify this in the short-term? Consider the challenge at hand for coach and management. It is almost impossible. You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink. This isn't about having a hard pre-season working on fitness and defence (e.g. cowboys). This is marriage counselling territory - and we know that shiit doesn't work.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 56 16
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8