Game Day: Manly v Knights [Round01,2018]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Quick question:
Does anyone know where the Manly fans will be sitting? We have GA tickets
Also where to park (prepaid already sold out)?

I am guessing baz will start Tanginoa and Taupau and keep AFB on the bench. I think this would be smart to ensure we keep the roll on at the end of the first half and start of the second half. If not, i would try squeeze 25mins out of AFB in the first half and 25mins of Taupau at the end of the match and use Kelepi and lane for 35mins each.

I bet that’s what was said round 1 in 1988:

I was at that game, an absolute ambush of the previous years Premiers BUT jeez didn’t they have a star studded line up , who had played together in QCup and SOO before the Donkeys.

So not surprising really!

I was at that game, an absolute ambush of the previous years Premiers BUT jeez didn’t they have a star studded line up , who had played together in QCup and SOO before the Donkeys.

So not surprising really!
I think we were definitely ambushed and they had a very good side , but we were the premiers and should have put them away . Very dissapointing day .

Wright and brown. It is going to be a long season

No offence to Matty Wright, I know he will give his all out there and we can't ask for any more than that, but Brad Parker is a better option. And if he is in there mostly for his goal kicking.....we're in trouble, especially as if he does have a groin injury what's the bet DCE or Api will do the kicking anyway, which makes selecting him moot in the first place.

At least we know he's only likely to be there until Walker returns.

As for Brown.....I seriously can't figure this one out. Its like TB promised him when they came from Penrith together that unless he breaks a leg, he'll be in the 17 every game. Surely there are others who offer more. Hastings can cover the backs, halves and hooker and we have enough back rowers on the bench, plus Thompson who can play centre, to make Brown's selection redundant.

Unless you look at it in that while Walker and Lussick are unavailable Barrett has gone for what he considers safer options (which again doesn't make sense since its obvious that back rowers Lane and Tanginoa are going to be used as props which in itself is a gamble).....its puzzling.

I am sure I am in the minority here for thinking this ;) .If you plan a gameplan around having 4 running forwards each week and it is entrenched as your game plan and injuries in a match occur(yes,not given but regularly do occur),having to switch forwards around to the backs mean your interchange(times of minutes and when players come off and on) and gameplan is completely thrown out for the rest of the game.Planning around 3 running forward interchange players and a utility player means injuries pose less disruption to your tactics.I agree that maybe having someone else than Brown is preferable and yes we could do that and yes coaches should be able to think on their feet like players should too,yes maybe Baz could or should change tactics,but this is how he is going and unfortunately we have no one else as versatile as Brown even though he is good at no positions at all.Oh well,in Baz I trust....let me know if you disagree lol(just don't get personal,no one wants to start that sxxt)
Problem being that TBaz puts him in for 10-20 mins of momentum killing drop balls and dumb penalties a game even when we’re not injury affected.

Last edited:
Based on our draw we need a good start to the year or things will get tough. If Manly has the better ball control and discipline then our superior talent and combinations should see Manly win.
Whilst I agree with you in theory, the reality is that the referees will be heavily influenced by the parochial sellout crowd and the NRL's strong desire for the druggos to get off to a good new start. Ball control is good if you have the ball, but I will wager that the possession stats are heavily against us as will be the penalty count.

No offence to Matty Wright, I know he will give his all out there and we can't ask for any more than that, but Brad Parker is a better option. And if he is in there mostly for his goal kicking.....we're in trouble, especially as if he does have a groin injury what's the bet DCE or Api will do the kicking anyway, which makes selecting him moot in the first place.

At least we know he's only likely to be there until Walker returns.

As for Brown.....I seriously can't figure this one out. Its like TB promised him when they came from Penrith together that unless he breaks a leg, he'll be in the 17 every game. Surely there are others who offer more. Hastings can cover the backs, halves and hooker and we have enough back rowers on the bench, plus Thompson who can play centre, to make Brown's selection redundant.

Unless you look at it in that while Walker and Lussick are unavailable Barrett has gone for what he considers safer options (which again doesn't make sense since its obvious that back rowers Lane and Tanginoa are going to be used as props which in itself is a gamble).....its puzzling.
Totally agree with you there feathered friend . Trent is a fine coach and like every one of us he needs some fine tuning.
I was at the Sharks trial and I watched Matt Wright and Brown and they looked pedestrian and way out of their depth amongst the young virile players.

Whilst I agree with you in theory, the reality is that the referees will be heavily influenced by the parochial sellout crowd and the NRL's strong desire for the druggos to get off to a good new start. Ball control is good if you have the ball, but I will wager that the possession stats are heavily against us as will be the penalty count.
Discipline, something the team has lacked the last two years. We can't be giving away those stupid penalties we often do, Lussick and Walker without looking at stats I would perceive these two as the most common offenders, both aren't playing. There will be a home town advantage for the Knights so be prepared, expect it and give the Ref nothing to penalise you for. Discipline

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8