Post-Game Discussion Manly v Panthers [Round 5, 2024]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Panthers
32 4 Pines Park
06 Apr 2024 17:30
80:00 minute

Match Stats

I swear, after Brown made those inspirational runs, I saw Jake take a hit up and his leg speed doubled as he pumped those legs as hard as he could. It was a beautiful thang.

And just quietly, we can fit 30,000 in Hong Kong Stadium… C’mon Penn, wake up and make it farrrkkiing happen.

Watching the press conference I’m wondering if DCE has some spectrum stuff going on. I find his interviews a little Rain Man like, and it would explain some of the clues we’ve seen around his “prickliness” over the years… for example, not fitting into those earlier QLD teams, or just the general impression many of us have around his on camera persona. And I don’t share that as a negative or criticism, to be clear… just an observation of interest.

I'm still in disbelief and riding the high of that victory. What a famous win at Brooky.

What we did tonight cannot be understated. We bullied the bullies. What we did to Penrith is what they've been doing to other clubs for the last 4 years pretty much. And for us to be the ones to do that to a three time defending championship side shows the levels this team can really go. It also makes those performances like the Dragons even more frustrating knowing how much better we are than that. But nevertheless what a performance, what a showout by the fans and team. It's a victory that really shows the upside and ceiling this club has in 2024. What a rollercoaster we are in for this year, bring it on!

In that first 20 minutes they were rolling through us and I was expecting them to run a score. Penrith were machine-like and it was looking very similar to how they've been performing against us in the last few years. Just suffocating defence through their line speed, backs eating up metres at ease, and then control by the spine to put us in vulnerable positions and identify holes. It just looked the same. And it didn't seem like we were off, we just looked levels below them like always, they were faster, fitter, stronger and more clinical.

The fact we were able to wether that 20 minute period, only conceeding that one try and change it into a massively overpowering 60 minute performance is so refreshing and exciting, and shows we've grown as a team. We are not the same as 2022-23. It was honestly Nathan Brown and Toff's stint that changed the whole game's trajectory and then Oshay and Paseka followed up impressively to makeup for their non-existent first stint. It was a pack performance for the ages. We had the likes of JFH and Moses Leota getting pushed around and manhandled. No team has done this to Penrith for a while. This is a famous victory.

We had them under pressure for most of the game and they didn't handle it well, they may have had a few more points in them had Cleary played but not enough to win the game methinks, well done to all our boys particularly our forwards and our right side defence 👍👍👍
Yeah the thing about Cleary is he wins them games when their forwards completely destroy the opposition. That wasn’t happening last night so it would have been interesting to see what sort of difference he could have made. His 5th tackle option are definitely superior to what we saw from Penrith yesterday. But yeah, we’ll never know.

You know, when the Panthers first started to come good, I thought Dylan Edwards was the only weak spot in their team, and that they'd never win a premiership with him as their fullback. Which means he has either improved out of sight, or I am an awful judge of talent. (Both are probably true.) But man, he just gets the job done. So much determination, all effort on every play. He's so important to that team, and has willed himself into the company of Teddy, Turbo, Walsh, etc as one of the best fullbacks running around.
I think Edwards is a great fb in that panthers team. Just knows his role well like the rest and does it well. The reason he’s not mentioned with the big gun fbs is he’s not flashy and more of a toiler. I’ve always thought it would be interesting to see how he’d go at a lesser club. I doubt he’d be mentioned in the origin conversation if he were at the dogs or tigers.

Was at the game and watched a replay later. Thought that our wings were mediocre and are a real concern going forward. Also, Crokers's service was poor and he lacks speed. Way below the standards of every other club dummy-half. With regards to the reseve grade side - thought that Fulalo in the centres looked good and would probably do OK in the firsts. Also young Humphries has excellent all round skills and is also just about ready for first grade.

Am I blind or just too biased to see it?

We have this deluge of media comments making spurious comments about a supposed knock on that led to Koula's try. Lets not talk about Manly's performance in defeating last year's premiers. Lets talk about an alleged knock on leading to a try. And regrettably because they have declared that belief, it has become the truth somehow and no doubt will be the big talking point.

Now I've watched the replay of this incident several times. The ball is passed by a Penrith player, hits a Manly player's arm when he tried to grab it, and falls behind him, not in front of him. He's standing still so that's not an issue. It bounces and continues in a backward motion, leading to Koula picking up the ball behind the other Manly player and racing down field. The ref gave it the OK. The bunker gave it the OK. But the media declared it a blatant knock on. Even Penrith seemed convinced it was a knock on.

Now what is a knock on? According to the definition;

Knock-on: When a player loses possession of the ball and 'it goes forward', or when a player 'hits the ball forward with the hand or arm, or when the ball hits the hand or arm and goes forward', and the ball touches the ground or another player before the original player can catch it.

Now, am I being biased? The ball fell out backwards and then bounced backwards. The Manly player was stationary. How on Earth can that be declared a knock on? Fair dinkum some of these media bogons seem not to understand the basic fundamentals of the game. Above is a quite simple definition of what a knock on is. Do they not know that? Where the hell do they come up with 'knock on' and then make that the major talking factor of the game. Someone needs to kick a few of them in the head to get their brains in synch with reality.

Am I blind or just too biased to see it?

We have this deluge of media comments making spurious comments about a supposed knock on that led to Koula's try. Lets not talk about Manly's performance in defeating last year's premiers. Lets talk about an alleged knock on leading to a try. And regrettably because they have declared that belief, it has become the truth somehow and no doubt will be the big talking point.

Now I've watched the replay of this incident several times. The ball is passed by a Penrith player, hits a Manly player's arm when he tried to grab it, and falls behind him, not in front of him. He's standing still so that's not an issue. It bounces and continues in a backward motion, leading to Koula picking up the ball behind the other Manly player and racing down field. The ref gave it the OK. The bunker gave it the OK. But the media declared it a blatant knock on. Even Penrith seemed convinced it was a knock on.

Now what is a knock on? According to the definition;

Knock-on: When a player loses possession of the ball and 'it goes forward', or when a player 'hits the ball forward with the hand or arm, or when the ball hits the hand or arm and goes forward', and the ball touches the ground or another player before the original player can catch it.

Now, am I being biased? The ball fell out backwards and then bounced backwards. The Manly player was stationary. How on Earth can that be declared a knock on? Fair dinkum some of these media bogons seem not to understand the basic fundamentals of the game. Above is a quite simple definition of what a knock on is. Do they not know that? Where the hell do they come up with 'knock on' and then make that the major talking factor of the game. Someone needs to kick a few of them in the head to get their brains in synch with reality.
Technically, not a knock on. Objectively, been called a knock on forever, everyday.

I found it very interesting that when DCE was asked about his try celebration in the presser last night...he said it was because he knew they had Penrith beat.

The score was 18-12 at the time.

That felt, to me, like it wasn't arrogance. But belief.

That really excites me.

In recent years when I've been watching games we've almost needed to lead by 30 and still then have our fingers crossed, before we'd be safe.

Now, to reset the focus to the warriors.

That"s the resilience and combined team effort that will get Manly finals bound if they can largely maintain it .
Really showed some team character again to overcome that early setback and slightly shaky play to pretty much have the ascendancy for the rest of the match though that final 11 or 12 minutes seemed to drag on a bit and with that mini Panthers comeback .
Brown of course inspirational , D C E and Turbo producing some game changing plays when really needed . Forward pack in general also pretty much outplaying the formidable Panthers forward grouping ., generally matched up in defence right across the park
Great result for team confidence and morale and enthusiastic home crowd and to also naturally address the recent scoreline setbacks
Definitely can be in the leading pack if again that form level and effort can be the norm for the remainder of the season

Watching the press conference I’m wondering if DCE has some spectrum stuff going on. I find his interviews a little Rain Man like, and it would explain some of the clues we’ve seen around his “prickliness” over the years… for example, not fitting into those earlier QLD teams, or just the general impression many of us have around his on camera persona. And I don’t share that as a negative or criticism, to be clear… just an observation of interest.
I find when he is on camera he delivers as if doing a presentation.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8