Post-Game Discussion Manly v Panthers [Round 5, 2024]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Panthers
32 4 Pines Park
06 Apr 2024 17:30
80:00 minute

Match Stats

The commentators based their belief that it was a knock on on two factors.
1. Ref's always call that sort of play a knock on.
2. The player looked guilty.
No mention of the actual fact that the ball went backwards off the hand.
Freddy was in the bunker for our game as an on looker, he said the officials looked at all camera angles which are many and said the ball went backwards, the panel on nine agreed most times they are called knock ons and maybe should be looked at a little closer

I think Edwards is a great fb in that panthers team. Just knows his role well like the rest and does it well. The reason he’s not mentioned with the big gun fbs is he’s not flashy and more of a toiler. I’ve always thought it would be interesting to see how he’d go at a lesser club. I doubt he’d be mentioned in the origin conversation if he were at the dogs or tigers.
He was the better FB yesterday.

Great win by the boys and congrats to DCE!! That being said Penrith were way off their game just like we were last week again the Dragons. Lets see if we can back it up and beat NZ next week!

ps. Our forwards were Amazing!

Last edited:
I found it very interesting that when DCE was asked about his try celebration in the presser last night...he said it was because he knew they had Penrith beat.

The score was 18-12 at the time.

That felt, to me, like it wasn't arrogance. But belief.

That really excites me.

In recent years when I've been watching games we've almost needed to lead by 30 and still then have our fingers crossed, before we'd be safe.

Now, to reset the focus to the warriors.
Cherry knew his forwards had Penriths number, they were stopping the usual dominant charges through the ruck and the venom in the runs of Brown and later Paseka, Sipley and Aloia had them on the back foot, it's a platform for future success if they can play at this level from now on, l was proud of every player, special mention to Burbo who being forced into the centres after two minutes had a blinder especially in defence, in past times, losing a player like Garrick would have seen heads drop and focus completely lost, I was stoked to see them all stand up, hopefully it bodes well for the rest of the season

Am I blind or just too biased to see it?

We have this deluge of media comments making spurious comments about a supposed knock on that led to Koula's try. Lets not talk about Manly's performance in defeating last year's premiers. Lets talk about an alleged knock on leading to a try. And regrettably because they have declared that belief, it has become the truth somehow and no doubt will be the big talking point.

Now I've watched the replay of this incident several times. The ball is passed by a Penrith player, hits a Manly player's arm when he tried to grab it, and falls behind him, not in front of him. He's standing still so that's not an issue. It bounces and continues in a backward motion, leading to Koula picking up the ball behind the other Manly player and racing down field. The ref gave it the OK. The bunker gave it the OK. But the media declared it a blatant knock on. Even Penrith seemed convinced it was a knock on.

Now what is a knock on? According to the definition;

Knock-on: When a player loses possession of the ball and 'it goes forward', or when a player 'hits the ball forward with the hand or arm, or when the ball hits the hand or arm and goes forward', and the ball touches the ground or another player before the original player can catch it.

Now, am I being biased? The ball fell out backwards and then bounced backwards. The Manly player was stationary. How on Earth can that be declared a knock on? Fair dinkum some of these media bogons seem not to understand the basic fundamentals of the game. Above is a quite simple definition of what a knock on is. Do they not know that? Where the hell do they come up with 'knock on' and then make that the major talking factor of the game. Someone needs to kick a few of them in the head to get their brains in synch with reality.
FWIW they just discussed it on the Footy Show. Freddy, Billy and Joey were unanimous in calling it a knock back. Freddy was actually in the bunker last night and said at first look he thought knock on but after watching the review process which involved 9 camera angles it was clearly backwards.

He was the better FB yesterday.
I think these days Turbo is so heavily marked that he's not given the opportunity to get into open space, that try by Edwards from the Cherry chip should really have been covered up too, hopefully lessons were learned from that debacle, I think Edwards is the best returner of the ball in the game today, no matter who the opposition is his return of kicks is superior to anyone, he lays the foundation for his teams march upfield better than any other fullback, he did have a habit at one time of letting the ball bounce which did lead to try's for the opposition but he's learned his lesson, but overall after all that waffle I'd take a fit Turbo over any other fullback in the game

Technically, not a knock on. Objectively, been called a knock on forever, everyday.

I agree. Same applies to forward passes, where officials fail to take into consideration the motion of the ball in relation to the motion of the player. Very frustrating because it becomes so arbitrary depending upon the variable perspectives of the officials and media people. Games are often won and lost based on those arbitrary decisions. Thing is, if they are going to use technology such as bunker assessments and televised slow motion technology for us all to see, then they need to address the fundamentals first, and ensure such arbitrary decision making is reduced to a minimum. Little wonder audiences become so frustrated. The professional game exists for the entertainment of the supporters.

As for the game, having bagged Manly's last two efforts earlier last week, I have to commend their return to a level I believe this team should be performing. As said I believe, given the talent, this is a top 6 side.

I think these days Turbo is so heavily marked that he's not given the opportunity to get into open space, that try by Edwards from the Cherry chip should really have been covered up too, hopefully lessons were learned from that debacle, I think Edwards is the best returner of the ball in the game today, no matter who the opposition is his return of kicks is superior to anyone, he lays the foundation for his teams march upfield better than any other fullback, he did have a habit at one time of letting the ball bounce which did lead to try's for the opposition but he's learned his lesson, but overall after all that waffle I'd take a fit Turbo over any other fullback in the game
Not me, I’d swap for Edward’s in a heartbeat.

Have been away and watched the game on TV in a pub in the city yesterday hence not match day comments from me.

My thoughts are (probably just like everyone else)

Our bench turned the game around but I think Penriths whole match plan was blown away when Garrick was injured. Surely they intended to hammer him.

Edwards was close to the best player on the field in a team that was soundly beaten.

The ball bounced our way so many times yesterday. I always say if you haven't got luck on your side you will rarely finish in front.

Once again the addition of Brooks and Brown has taken us from a very ordinary side to a team that can compete with the better sides. Just as important has been the growth of Paseka and Sipley.

Waddell playing on edge was interesting and effective.

Starting to think we could be a top 8 side.

Latrell is a goose.

Last edited:
First time this year we looked like we were actually intent on defending our try line. Even managed to do it for repeat sets. And everything just kinda flowed from that. Who would have thought?

So glad the boys fired up after last week's miserable effort in the Gong. Good things will definitely happen if we can hold onto the ball and stop the other team from scoring.
To think we could be, should be 5 & 0!!!

Now that the smoke has settled after a gutsy win (not a pretty win as we still made a lot of mistakes against a Panthers team that really was off the boil) congratulations must go to DCE for achieving his 310 games record for the Club !!!!!
We have had some unbelievabley talented players in the past such as Bozo, Cliffy, Wombat, Beaver, Toovey etc but DCE’s persistence , tenacity , skill and leadership must now place him in our top echelon of true Manly greats.
Congratulations DCE and I hope you can add a few more games to an already impressive career finishing with won more Premiership to your name.
GO MANLY !!!!!
🦅🦅🦅
Penrith were not off the boil at all!!! We outmuscled them & caused them to simmer! We’ve beaten 3 top teams, lost a dodgy game to the Eels & should’ve beaten the Dragons. We could be, should be 5 & 0!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8