Post-Game Discussion Manly v Storm [Round 21, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Game Information

Sea Eagles
Vs
Storm
18 Suncorp Stadium
07 Aug 2021 19:35
80th minute

Match Stats

Good onya ref. 1 minute 28 secs to go, 2 restarts, 2 penalties and a storm sinbin. Text book evening up the stats.
Overall, encouraged by tonight. Gutsy effort, although too many errors. Hopefully this is fixable.
Ref rorting. Unfortunately unfixable.
Keep building Manly.
Something good is coming.
The refereeing was worse than the stats,
how many forward passes did they get away with,
they grubbed us in the ruck as they always do and get away with it,
they were offside that many times it was a joke, they were taking off early almost every defensive play,
grant knocked the ball on into the marker and they get away with it,
Welch dropped it cold and new it, then wins the challenge and couldn’t stop laughing about it,
I also don’t believe Hughes had eyes for the ball on Toms drop that lead to a try, yes he watched it all the way in until the very last second then played the man, which lead to the try.
All that aside we all know we made to many errors but I still saw enough to believe we have nothing to fear facing them in the finals, bit of ball control and some even possession and it’s a different result, we still should of won tonight, take the 2 direct errors that lead to tries out and we beat them tonight. We will get them next time, theres no way they leave this game tonight believing they think they have our number.

I don’t wanna bag Schuster but the tough game tonight certainly didn’t bring out the best him. A poor miss on Hughes for the last try. He’ll learn from it no doubt but needs to play ugly.
Yep, he was always going to need these kind of games so he learns when to play and when to hold

I can only see positives out of that game, no idea how any other manly supporter would think otherwise
Umm where do I start?

we lost
We made heaps of unforced errors
We had an opportunity and shot ourselves in the foot

it’s not about being negative for the sake of it...I’m just not getting carried away with the idea that we have somehow put the comp on notice because we only Lost by 10 points.

I hope as a club we don’t have the attitude where we celebrate getting close.

Keppie will need to isolate for 2 weeks as he is in Sydney. Won’t be back till at least round 23. They will bring Siro in to play as a middle forward and Jake moves there when Walkers on.
Yep you're right. But this is the bench we should run with in the finals.
14. Lawton
15. Keppie
16. Aloiai
17. Sipley

They had 60% and all the penalties because they comprehensively won the ruck.

not attacking you personally but I’m tired of RL fans referencing possession and penalty counts as if they’re luck. We gave away penalties because we kept slowing them down knowing they’d rip through our middle.
They had ball because we made mistakes. We made mistakes because their line speed was incredible and they were physically superior.
We got beaten by a better team. It’s just the way it is. Torching the likes of the Sharks and Tigers doesn’t make us contenders. We’re a way off Melbourne yet.

yeah I’m a Manly fan but watching that game tonight, it was obvious to me who the better side was.
Not sure what game you were watching but the two crusher tackles were not crushers, the penalty against quac for obstruction was very questionable, see plenty of those let go, Sipley only feather touches ball with boot, then Walsh fumbles the play the ball himself yet another penalty. Before last 2 minutes the penalties were 7-3, 6 to go at one stage was 7-1, and they were holding down just as much as us. I thought our D was more stinging then theirs and superior considering they had 60 possession but we contained them well, they did not look that dangerous to me. I thought their middles were impressive, think we lacked that but overall our errors are which cost us in the end. Crucial errors at the wrong time. Needed to have more share of ball. We get that, no reason why we cannot win.

Last edited:
I don’t wanna bag Schuster but the tough game tonight certainly didn’t bring out the best him. A poor miss on Hughes for the last try. He’ll learn from it no doubt but needs to play ugly.
Yep looked gassed on several occasions.

Yep you're right. But this is the bench we should run with in the finals.
14. Lawton
15. Keppie
16. Aloiai
17. Sipley
I agree with this, Walker may hold his spot over Lawton due to his versatility, can play a ball playing role in middle, a middle forward or cover the outside backs. Yes, Lawton too. Will be interesting to see who dez picks. Hope Paeska can recover. Maybe they will look at Woods?

Umm where do I start?

we lost
We made heaps of unforced errors
We had an opportunity and shot ourselves in the foot

it’s not about being negative for the sake of it...I’m just not getting carried away with the idea that we have somehow put the comp on notice because we only Lost by 10 points.

I hope as a club we don’t have the attitude where we celebrate getting close.
No, but under the circumstances it was more a case of we lost the game, than they won the game, we didn’t play that great and so much went there way, some even ball, cut out some silly errors and we have plenty to look forward to next time we meet.
There is no way they can be happy with the result either given the circumstance, yes they can be happy they won, but they also know we can get them.

Not sure what game you were watching but the two crusher tackles were not crushers, the penalty against quac for obstruction was very questionable, see plenty of those let go, Sipley only featho touches ball with boot, then Walsh fumbles the play the ball himself yet another penalty. Before last 2 minutes tye penalties were 7-3, 6 to go at one stage was 7-1, and they were holding down just as much as us. I thought our D was more stinging in attack, they had 60 possession but we contained them well, did not look that dangerous to me. I thought their middles were impressive, think we lacked that but overall our errors are which cost us. Crucial errors at the wrong time. Needed to have more share of ball. We get that, no reason why we cannot win.
I watched the game where Melbourne were by far the better side and barely got out of second gear while we hung on for dear life...which I am proud of in terms of effort but I’m not blaming the ref because Melbourne were physically superior. As for the ref, the Sipley one is a penalty every day of the week. The crushers looked like the same crushers that are penalties every week. The obstruction was odd but I have no problem with anything else.

it’s not time for excuses, it’s time to learn and get better.

The refereeing was worse than the stats,
how many forward passes did they get away with,
they grubbed us in the ruck as they always do and get away with it,
they were offside that many times it was a joke, they were taking off early almost every defensive play,
grant knocked the ball on into the marker and they get away with it,
Welch dropped it cold and new it, then wins the challenge and couldn’t stop laughing about it,
I also don’t believe Hughes had eyes for the ball on Toms drop that lead to a try, yes he watched it all the way in until the very last second then played the man, which lead to the try.
All that aside we all know we made to many errors but I still saw enough to believe we have nothing to fear facing them in the finals, bit of ball control and some even possession and it’s a different result, we still should of won tonight, take the 2 direct errors that lead to tries out and we beat them tonight. We will get them next time, theres no way they leave this game tonight believing they think they have our number.
Definitely off side a lot. Sprinting up before marker had even touched it.

I watched the game where Melbourne were by far the better side and barely got out of second gear while we hung on for dear life...which I am proud of in terms of effort but I’m not blaming the ref because Melbourne were physically superior. As for the ref, the Sipley one is a penalty every day of the week. The crushers looked like the same crushers that are penalties every week. The obstruction was odd but I have no problem with anything else.

it’s not time for excuses, it’s time to learn and get better.
Disagree. We had them puffing and hurting them with defence. Even share of ball we score easily again. That will be the key. Our attack worries them and hardly had any chances. We were far off our best, plenty of improvement yet

No, but under the circumstances it was more a case of we lost the game, than they won the game, we didn’t play that great and so much went there way, some even ball, cut out some silly errors and we have plenty to look forward to next time we meet.
There is no way they can be happy with the result either given the circumstance, yes they can be happy they won, but they also know we can get them.
Respectfully disagree. It’s only my opinion, I get that, but it seems most of us are looking at isolated incidents anecdotally without taking the context of each into consideration. The overall flow of the game felt like Melbourne were well on top and we were desperately hanging on and hoping.
If it was an even match in terms of the physical battle, I’d cop the isolated incidents, but I feel the errors and penalties and possession are the result of the opposition controlling the game and applying pressure.

Definitely off side a lot. Sprinting up before marker had even touched it.
Nothing stopping the other 15 clubs doing it?! I don’t believe for one second the referees have been instructed to favour Melbourne. They sail close to the wind and that is why they’ve won 17 in a row.

You guys make your excuses....we lost and that’s not up for debate. We can sit around talking all day about the what if’s but that won’t change the result.

I hope Manly are dissatisfied with the result and are focused on improvement rather than sitting back feeling good about themselves because we didn’t get flogged.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8