Manly's 6.6 million Xmas Gift...Foz/DCE

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Dee Why Eagle said:
All this talk over who will become the next $1m player DCE or Foz...
After what I saw last night (and based only on that), they would be third in line after daylight & Shaun Johnson. Now, don't get me wrong, I would be gutted to loose either... and as a pair, probably the best halves combination, but last night Johnson grabbed the game by the throat just as JT would have (and DCE just quite can't manage to... as yet).

As for Johnson, yeah, I've heard of him but never really watched him play... last night may just have been a flash in the pan and I don't know if he can defend. But last night he was impressive.

Like any halfback or 5/8, can't weave their magic till they get forward superiority! He will be a great 1/2 though when he finds the consistency he is missing.

^ Johnson was great last night, and he's been close to great, on and off, for the last couple of seasons. He's getting more consistent but can still drift in and out of games sometimes.
But, as others have pointed out, he played behind a dominant pack last night, which always makes a halfback's job way easier. If Cherry had played behind that pack he would have done okay, too.
As good as Johnson is, I'd still take Cherry ahead of him. Cherry's a better defender and is more durable as well. Johnson tends to pick up injuries.
Comparisons aside, I thought Cherry played really well for Australia last night, especially given our pack was out-muscled the whole game. Apart from the first game, he was good the whole series, and it's been nice to see him playing so well. Looks happy and relaxed, which has to help.

castle eagle said:
Bird Up said:
XV-1 said:
Now we have the Titans come out and make a play for DCE

DCE show me the money mgr Orr confirms discussions but says " we won't do anything until we speak to Manly ".
Gee, isnt that nice of Chris Orr. The nerve of the guy.
The mgr is trying to milk every last $ out of Manly with these veiled threats.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/daly-cherryevans-and-luke-keary-head-recruitment-hit-list-as-titans-rebuild-into-a-premiership-force/story-fnp0lyn3-1227116847653

Gavin Orr wouldn't be doing his job if he wasn't trying to 'milk' the best top $$ for his client now would he!!

And good on Gavin for putting his clients best interests first! And in saying that, even if another club offers DCE more $$, I don't think he'll leave Manly!
But as the saying goes, never say never!!

personally i dont think that orr has anyones best interests first except his own. he is just trying to get them a pay rise so that he gets a pay rise.

yep and just like every other player manager who would only be out trying to do the same thing.

So a big question I guess does Fozzie bring his Kiwi game or his ( of recent times) Manly game to the table in 2015?

His Kiwi game is probably worth 1.1 Million, his Manly game hasn't been worth half of that!!

Mark from Brisbane said:
So a big question I guess does Fozzie bring his Kiwi game or his ( of recent times) Manly game to the table in 2015?

His Kiwi game is probably worth 1.1 Million, his Manly game hasn't been worth half of that!!

Foz brings his 4 nations form (and commitment) to the table he's worth it. Without being a negative nancy I do agree with others comments on recent threads 'where was this for Manly in the back half of the season'? Quite disappointing to see how good he has been playing.

People are way too harsh on Foz, he won our player of the year award, I repeat, he was judged our best player in 2014

Sure he dropped off in the closing rounds but there were big internal dramas and half the team played like ****e

Disco said:
People are way too harsh on Foz, he won our player of the year award, I repeat, he was judged our best player in 2014

Sure he dropped off in the closing rounds but there were big internal dramas and half the team played like ****e

Also getting a little tired of the rewriting of history. We were one point away from the Grand Final despite key injuries.
Hello?
Quit with the failure stuff already people.

Budgewoi Eagle said:
Disco said:

Also getting a little tired of the rewriting of history. We were one point away from the Grand Final despite key injuries.
Hello?
Quit with the failure stuff already people.

We were 2 wins away from the GF. We would have had to beat the Riff.

Great players are judged harshly, it's just a truism that rings through any sport. Steve Waugh goes a few innings without a hundred, Maradona goes a few games looking lackluster or in this case, Foz has a poor back half of the season and people start writing their obituaries.

It's life, more is demanded of those that have the ability to determine the outcome of matches, and Foz is well and truly in that elite bracket. I think more than anything what has got people offside is not that he wasn't playing great, but more that his demeanour showed he didn't want to be out there. I think we can all forgive players that screw up, the case in point being when Killer set up 2 tries beautifully.....for the Panthers!! And then turned around and did everything he could to help us win that game (which he did).

I'm hoping that 2014 will be like 2011 for Foz. In 2011 we saw Foz develop into a truly world class player, he took the team by the scruff of the neck and got us home in some tight ones. I hope 2014 will a year he looks back on and thinks 'I really learned a lot about the mental side of the game, and how off field issues can really effect the on field game'. If so he will come out in 2015 as an even better player.

For 1.1 Miion a year I have VERY high expectations, Mason on maybe $150k a year I have VERY high hopes but little expectations .

If an elite player gets 3 or 4 million dollars for 3 years, then injury aside I expect results !!

I would like to come to the defence of Foran as well. I think he was outstanding last year, and deserved to be crowned our player of the year. I wouldn't label the back half of the year poor either, it was more or less a couple of quiet games three weeks out from the finals, and including the finals. He was far from poor, and it was far from half a season.

He was playing behind a beaten pack in the last 3-4 round matches, and in the finals. We were getting bashed up in the middle and providing no space for our halves. He was great for the Kiwi's because they won the battle in the middle. He is worth a mil, and I hope he stays.

I could be wrong, but I sense that a lot of the criticism of Foran's game is spawned from bitterness regarding the "player revolt" last year, and not entirely based on objective judgement of his play.

well what good is Foran going to do at the warriors then? :)

i think he has a massive heart, and i like that in players, i think he is also something a bit special compared to other 1st graders, but i don't look to Foran to make things happen, although he can at times, nor do I look for Foran to win us games in pressure situations.

That's just me..

Foran is tough, competitive and quite consistent. DCE is a freak that can come up with match winning attacking brilliance and at his peak and on his day can completely destroy and dominate a match. They are the perfect halves pairing. Throw the $ at em I say.

I see a few people are comparing Foz's form in the 4 nations cup compared to the semis.

I think the big difference is the Kiwi pack produced great go forward and off the back of that he and Johnson had a picnic.

As were busted by injuries to crucial forwards on the eve of the finals we really didnt give he and DCE the space they needed.

I just hope that these guys make up their minds sooner rather than later so this whole circus can be put to bed.

Mark from Brisbane said:

If our forwards dominate like the Kiwi forwards both DCE and Foran would be $2 million a season players.

Frank said:
Mark from Brisbane said:

If our forwards dominate like the Kiwi forwards both DCE and Foran would be $2 million a season players.

Just as well we had King and Starling in our pack last season otherwise we wouldn't be able to afford Foran and DCE

Have the Warriors decided they will have the pack...already have the backs...so all we need is a general in the middle to tell em when to " run it F ya "....? Wonder if ppl would swap DCE for johnson on less coin..say 250k less ? The warriors to be top 8 regulars if they could sign foran imo

WESTIE said:
Have the Warriors decided they will have the pack...already have the backs...so all we need is a general in the middle to tell em when to " run it F ya "....? Wonder if ppl would swap DCE for johnson on less coin..say 250k less ? The warriors to be top 8 regulars if they could sign foran imo

Top 4 I would have thought.

We haven't missed the 4 since DCE made his debut in 2011.

If the Warriors can bid for Foran to partner Johnson in the halves then surely it's realistic to think that we could keep both Foran & DCE?

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4