Matt Ballin could be the next Sea Eagles favourite forced out of Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Matty strikes me as a player who would take unders to remain at Manly until he retires. He doesn't seem to be greedy.

Sure, all players would love to sign the biggest contract that would set them up for life after football. Who wouldn't with such a short career span? But Matty was smart enough to set up his own personal training business outside of football knowing full well that not every player is lucky enough to get a job in the media or as a coach.

If there is one player we have in our squad right now who I don't think we need to worry about its Matt Ballin.

/Adrian Proszenko - SMH - 07/03/15

1425713101168.jpg

Popular face: Matt Ballin in action against the Eels on Friday night. Photo: Getty Images

Manly face the prospect of losing another of their favourite sons amid fears loyal stalwart Matt Ballin may be forced out of the embattled club.

Fairfax Media can reveal the Sea Eagles have expressed interest in Brisbane hooker Andrew McCullough for the next season. McCullough was close to recommitting to the Broncos but is now considering a lucrative shift south.

The Sea Eagles are still reeling from Daly Cherry-Evans' decision to take up a huge four-year deal with the Titans and are bracing for the likely departure of fellow international half Kieran Foran to Parramatta.

Ballin, off contract at the end of the season, is one of the most popular players on the northern beaches. The 31-year-old, who has played one State of Origin game for Queensland, had been hoping for one last Manly contract that would enable him to finish as a one-club man.

While negotiations had begun to retain him, it is understood the Sea Eagles put them on the backburner during the past week as they gauged McCullough's interest.

Ballin is just five games short of breaking the 200 mark and his potential departure will be a bitter pill for frustrated Manly fans.

The Sea Eagles were hammered 42-12 by arch rivals Parramatta at Pirtek Stadium and injuries to key players will leave them again understrength for Saturday night's clash with Melbourne at Brookvale.

Promising back Clint Gutherson's season is over following confirmation he ruptured his ACL, while scans revealed Foran suffered a slight hamstring tear. The pivot's return date will become clearer in coming days but he is expected to miss at least a month of football.

Manly powerbrokers were already coming up with contingency plans before they pulled Cherry-Evans' deal from the table. Trent Hodkinson is one of their targets, although Cronulla have also expressed interest in the Canterbury and NSW halfback. Gold Coast duo Aidan Sezer and NYC teammate Kane Elgey are also on a shortlist.

Sea Eagles owners and management are under pressure following a tumultuous off-season that resulted in the loss of key personnel and tension with coach Geoff Toovey.

Manly chief executive officer Joe Kelly has backed Toovey to see out the final two years of his contract but the pair clearly weren't on the same page in negotiations to retain Cherry-Evans.

Toovey was blindsided during a television appearance when told the club's offer had been pulled from the table. The incident followed a clash over Kelly's push to sign Luke Burgess from South Sydney.

After taking over from Des Hasler in difficult circumstances, Toovey has compiled an excellent record as head coach and has a winning percentage of 59 per cent. But it is understood there are factions trying to destabilise him at the club.

Asked if he felt sufficiently supported by management, a diplomatic Toovey told Triple M's Deadset Legends: "Yeah, definitely. I'm a man to stand on my own two feet as well. I think the results over the last three years speak volumes about that.

"I think we will have a successful year this year. Not a great start obviously, with injuries and Cherry-Evans going to the Gold Coast, but at least that's one thing settled. We can focus now on the football."

While disappointed about losing his gun halfback, Toovey believed the club could overhaul its roster.

"It opens up some opportunities to fill that position and also some other resources to other areas we need to focus on as well," he said.

"It's not all bad news but it will take a bit of time. We've got all year to do it so that's one positive."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...rite-forced-out-of-manly-20150307-13xyz1.html

Another Click-bait article

May I remind the media about the pre Des wilderness where some were openly wishing for Manly success again so they had someone to hate. Stop riding us into the ground. The end result will be no fun for you. Short memories, much?

And so it begins...from cap pressure to cap freedom , every ,and I mean every, player (and his manager ) will be associated with us

We should expect this in 2015 from the Media. Why doesn't this reporter do a follow up on the Foran Signed With Eels piece that he wrote two weeks ago? @:rolleyes:

News Flash: Jayden Hodges is our next hooker, and he has been at Brookie since last season.@:)

We should expect this in 2015 from the Media. Why doesn't this reporter do a follow up on the Foran Signed With Eels piece that he wrote two weeks ago? @:rolleyes:

News Flash: Jayden Hodges is our next hooker, and he has been at Brookie since last season.@:)

You mean the "Foran will sign for the Eels by the end of the week" piece?

I'm still waiting for a follow up on his story from late 2011 about Des knocking back the Dogs to stay with Manly.

Surely this article was sourced before the DCE decision, I would have thought that now thats done there would be cash to retain Matty., That has to happen, he is a vital part of the team and he actually wants to be here.

If Cameron Smith didn't exist Matt would be one of QLD's most capped players by now. He's one of our most valuable players and surely a priority to re-sign.

Just the type of article to expect now when any of our players get to the final year of a contract.

Ballin could well become a coaching contender in a few years. He has the pre-requisite Manly pedigree.

I just don't get this article how would he be forced out? With DCE and Foz leaving on top of watmough we should have so much money under the salary cap it isn't funny.

Yawn... What next... "DCE uses new recruitment powers to entice allegedly disgruntled Manly player and good mate Jamie Buhrer to the GC on a 4 year hairdressing apprenticeship"

Brilliamt idea about Matty being put on the Conditioning side. He is doing some degree related to it and is a Fitness Trainer.

My fondest memory is his ripping his abs to force down the ball, past Slaters foot in the 2008 GF.:inlove:

The facial to that Botoxed Has Been on Friday, is a close second @:D

That's good news the club should get on the front foot and re sign him he is the type of player we need at the club. Matt Ballin is Manly

Until Orr demands a contract upgrade for DCE mid contract at the cost of them losing Buhrer, because we have seen how little care for fellow team mates job security DCE has.

That kid and his manager would throw anyone, and any club under a bus for a buck.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4