Membership numbers

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
DSM5 link said:
I ran into Dunners recently near Broadway.  He asked me the way to some copying shop.  I told him I thought he was an excellent player for us.  I hate lying.
Was he looking for the reflux brand of copy paper?

Membership is not a traditional Rugby League concept - it is an AFL thing. Many Aussies like to decide to go to the footy at the last minute and are happy to buy on the day or the week before. It will take time to change the mentality, especially amongst the Gen X and younger people who like to keep options open. It is only the very highly committed who will buy something just to support a group - be it a charity or football team.

Despite Vidmar's comments I do think that a few freebies (that people really like and want) in a package is a good idea. I go to a conference each year that provides a free gift to delegates and the surprise element is always appreciated. It is small but seen as generous and sends the right message.

A big factor that has me questioning the worth of membership is the continual refusal of the NRL to publish a full season schedule. I go with my family but don't know till a few weekends ahead whether the games will be Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Monday. I have a full life with weddings, 21sts, work functions, church commitments and a whole lot of other things. A full draw at the start of the season would allow me to plan to get to most home games and a lot of away games. The AFL, EPL, NFL etc can do it, with all other major sports in Australia but not the NRL.

Canteen Worker link said:
Despite Vidmar's comments I do think that a few freebies (that people really like and want) in a package is a good idea.

A big factor that has me questioning the worth of membership is the continual refusal of the NRL to publish a full season schedule. I go with my family but don't know till a few weekends ahead whether the games will be Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Monday. I have a full life with weddings, 21sts, work functions, church commitments and a whole lot of other things. A full draw at the start of the season would allow me to plan to get to most home games and a lot of away games. The AFL, EPL, NFL etc can do it, with all other major sports in Australia but not the NRL.

? I'm not sure where I'm supposed to have commented that that freebies in the package were not a good thing?

In actual fact I love the cap and stickers etc that come with membership as do my kids.

The scheduling of games aspect is not due to a refusal by the NRL to do it but rather that they are bound by the terms of the current contract that they can't give an exact day/time of the game until the TV people decide who will be shown (generally around 5 weeks before the game)

This will not change until that contract expires in 2012 and this aspect will be renegotiated

Scheduling of games would not only impact on membership numbers but on numbers attending away games as well...for example Qantas had some ultra cheap fares to Melbourne to celebrate it's 90th Anniversary a few weeks ago, from memory about $110.00 return, so imagine if we knew the day / dates of the game....I could have communicated that with the masses and it could have stimulated an extra 20-30 people to attend just like that.

It is the MOST frustrating part of what I do for you guys and as Vid has said nothing will change until 2012-13 if at all!!

I was looking at getting tickets to an event in March but can't as it is on the sme weekend as round 1 of the NRL and I don't know what day we will play the storm in MLB.

This aspect impacting on membership has been made very clear to the likes of Messrs Gallop and Annersley.

I and several other members were at a members forum at the SFS a couple of seasons ago which they hosted and they were asked (by a Tigers member from memory) how they could expect people to purchase a product that people didn't know if they could use (ie membership and people not knowing if they would be able to go to the games as they didn"t know when they would be)

The reply was that TV pays a lot of money in to the game and as such wanted to have a say in the games they showed BUT that the NRL were well aware of the angst this causes fans and they would take this in to account when the new contract is negotiated.

Hmmmm....

WAMF link said:
Vid, zorba seems to think that rnd 1 v melb will be a Monday night game.

It cant be,Melbourne needs a chance to get the fanbase back
While i hate them,they are a required evil

DSM5 link said:
Are you having a bad day Canteen?
Not a great one but I am sick to death of News Ltd and their petty ways. They have done all they can to kill a very good code of football, all whilst trying to make a profit.

Post  automatically merged: [time]1291617129[/time]

I got a phone call today from Mrs Max Krilich, trying to get my daughter to renew her membership. They are working hard to get people to sign up and renew.

vidmar link said:
I was looking at getting tickets to an event in March but can't as it is on the sme weekend as round 1 of the NRL and I don't know what day we will play the storm in MLB.

This aspect impacting on membership has been made very clear to the likes of Messrs Gallop and Annersley.

I and several other members were at a members forum at the SFS a couple of seasons ago which they hosted and they were asked (by a Tigers member from memory) how they could expect people to purchase a product that people didn't know if they could use (ie membership and people not knowing if they would be able to go to the games as they didn\"t know when they would be)

The reply was that TV pays a lot of money in to the game and as such wanted to have a say in the games they showed BUT that the NRL were well aware of the angst this causes fans and they would take this in to account when the new contract is negotiated.

Hmmmm....

It is a joke,and makes the NRL look amateurish.A big rock group,stage production,or anything that wants to pull a crowd,that is coming to Australia,doesn't just say "hey,Ozzies,we'll be there sometime between *** and *** of ***month,2011".We get dates,and we get it heavily advertised.They want people to know the DATES,TIMES and VENUES!!! Not this "1st round,11-3-11 to 14-3-11"dteas and times to be confirmed!All I can say for the NRLs crowds is-thank god Sydney FC and the Swans aren't setting the world on fire!!!!

This is the stupid part on the NRL's part they expect the fan's to become member's of their club's despite the fact that people have no idea when the games are going to be on.

The NRL need's to dictate terms to TV not the other way around

I got a phone call today from Mrs Max Krilich, trying to get my daughter to renew her membership. They are working hard to get people to sign up and renew.

Stop mucking around CW and sign up. Both clubs got my money ages ago!

A bit off topic but.The games should be scheduled and penned in early.Let it be that we never have to pander to televisions rights again.In the US, people know over a year in advance.If a draw was available early,people could plan for interstate trips and plan their lives around the games at the local park.To think the NRL is forced into following the direction of TV contract is terrible.Its just another thing that is holding the game back.Even the smaller competitions in the US make the NRL and footy clubs look like complete ammatures

I still didn't get any answers or ideas relatingto my earlier post.

What can out of towners and interstate fans of manly,expect to get for showing financial support for the football and leagues clubs?Discount seats,travel,meals,supporter wear,local attractions,accommodation,bookings through the clubs,airport pickup,transfers to games,child minding,shopping buses for the girls,training passes,out of town club discounts,photographers,footy weddings,bucks nights,birthday packages, beach transfers..the list goes on.If these clubs were even half fair dinkum about getting manly fans memberships and patronage,they would put these incentives into packages for members.All these things should be available.The club should,by request be able to show manly doco`s  on the big screen for supporter clubs from out of town.Anything is possible ,I just implore the clubs to THINK about ideas.Please.

Some of us have jobs Stu. I will get there eventually.

I love ya CW but if you have time on here you 'could' have time to put in your credit card details for membership. :) You'll get there I know. Don't forget the FC is only $10 if done at the same time (saving $15 and is based on the calendar year). I am looking forward to the Manly goodies I will be getting just before Xmas.

Post  automatically merged: [time]1291662880[/time]

Rambofan link said:
What can out of towners and interstate fans of manly,expect to get for showing financial support for the football and leagues clubs?Discount seats,travel,meals,supporter wear,local attractions,accommodation,bookings through the clubs,airport pickup,transfers to games,child minding,shopping buses for the girls,training passes,out of town club discounts,photographers,footy weddings,bucks nights,birthday packages, beach transfers..the list goes on.If these clubs were even half fair dinkum about getting manly fans memberships and patronage,they would put these incentives into packages for members.All these things should be available.The club should,by request be able to show manly doco`s  on the big screen for supporter clubs from out of town.Anything is possible ,I just implore the clubs to THINK about ideas.Please.

Rambofan, this is a little like the chicken and the egg story. Which comes first. The club's admin operates out of a demountable office. Lots of things are done by volunteers. If we had 10,000 members then maybe the club could afford to take part of those funds and allocate them to resources so that arrangements can be made for all of these activities. The reality is that there are only a few individuals doing a lot of multi-tasking. I am not acting as a spokesperson for the club but I know what goes on there. I agree and would love for your suggestions to be done but for now it is a long way off. They are too small.

Rambofan link said:
A bit off topic but.The games should be scheduled and penned in early.Let it be that we never have to pander to televisions rights again.In the US, people know over a year in advance.If a draw was available early,people could plan for interstate trips and plan their lives around the games at the local park.To think the NRL is forced into following the direction of TV contract is terrible.Its just another thing that is holding the game back.Even the smaller competitions in the US make the NRL and footy clubs look like complete ammatures

I still didn't get any answers or ideas relatingto my earlier post.

There has been many many many posts and discussion threads regarding the scheduling of games and all the points you make are valid but as per my previous there is nothing that can be done so not a lot of point discussing.

In answer to your second point – don’t lose sight of the main thing that you get by supporting your club financially – you contribute to us continuing to have a team in the top flight of the NRL (something that we nearly lost not too many years ago!)

Some of the things you mention are already in place such as discounted match tickets, discounted merchandise and travel on the supporter’s bus to away games.

The other ideas have merit and with more people to administer such a program and the economies of scale that would be needed to make these things viable it is certainly something to strive for.

I do know many people that come from all parts of Australia to watch games at Brooky, some of course more than others and the whole “trip” is a big part of the enjoyment.

It is not the lack of attractions or discounts that prevents the majority of out of town fans from traveling – more it is the cost of flights, accommodation, food and beverage, days off work, kids missing sports or other local commitments that are the reasons that it is not always possible

I’m not sure where you are based or what your circumstances are but could I ask you a hypothetical?

Were you a member in 2010 and how many games did you attend?

Now if the vast majority of your suggestions were in place would you sign up for membership and how many games would you be likely to attend?

It’s all well and good spending huge amounts of time and money building “you beaut” programs but if there is not the numbers or demand to get a return on that investment then it will be a difficult proposition to sell to the management team?

There are of course options for people from out of town that offer a range of benefits at reasonable price so maybe have a look here

http://membership.manlyseaeagles.com.au/2011-packages/country-membership/

Which shows that as a country member you can get a membership for $95 on line that will give you the following

Membership benefits include
- Entry into 2 Sea Eagles home games at Brookvale Oval
- Entry into 1 Interstate game played in VIC, QLD or ACT
- Entry into 1 interstate away match function
- 2011 Members Kit
- Sea Eagles cooler bag
- Priority access for tickets to International, State of Origin, Final Series and other Club events

I love the joint and I'm more than happy to contribute to being a member even though I'm unlikely to attend any games (coming from Ballina). Not meaning to sound critical but if I take my young bloke down the beach it would have been nice to have worn my eagles cap, which I think is good promo for the club. But to have to pick the cap up personally would cost me more than my membership.
I realise all this may sound petty (it's not about the money) just think it's counterproductive in regards to spreading the brand.

manlyborn link said:
I love the joint and I'm more than happy to contribute to being a member even though I'm unlikely to attend any games (coming from Ballina). Not meaning to sound critical but if I take my young bloke down the beach it would have been nice to have worn my eagles cap, which I think is good promo for the club. But to have to pick the cap up personally would cost me more than my membership.
I realise all this may sound petty (it's not about the money) just think it's counterproductive in regards to spreading the brand.

Last Friday I met with the new manager who is looking after membership and (amongst other topics) I raised the point about the caps and collection.

I was told that they had seen that and realised that it wasn't the best way to promote the membership and whilst not being able to give me a definite "official" response they were looking in to it (They'd asked for numbers involved and the cost associated which is wise and what I'd have asked for before giving a guarantee)

Stay tuned?

PS They are very keen to get to know the members and have even signed up to be able to post on here but as she has had to hit the ground running and this week is manic with packing and prepping for membership mailings it's perhaps understandable that it will take a little while for them to get settled?

its simple if you dont live within 50 kilometers of the narrabeen office,, you should get your  cap posted out,
whats the point of having regional/country memberships,  to accomodate ppl who want to support the eagles but cant make it to games who then have to make their way to manly to pick up the cap..

if your an out of towner  it should be posted...

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7