MERGED: Board Issues Mega Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
RE: Peace in Sea Eagles boardroom may rest on independent chair

The multiple private owners idea will never work. When business people of rich means put their money into an enterprise they expect to have a large say in how its run and spent. That ultimately means bickering and infighting when there is more than 1 wealthy backer. You either have to have the club run 100% by the MWFC and its members or total private ownership by 1 wealthy backer/supporter who will run it professionally and as a business. Seeing as how there is no financial muscle behind both the leagues and football clubs then total private ownership is the only option. I'd prefer to see Mr Kaspersky take over the whole thing much like Abramovich and his Russian mates in the EPL.

mickqld said:
The multiple private owners idea will never work. When business people of rich means put their money into an enterprise they expect to have a large say in how its run and spent. That ultimately means bickering and infighting when there is more than 1 wealthy backer. You either have to have the club run 100% by the MWFC and its members or total private ownership by 1 wealthy backer/supporter who will run it professionally and as a business. Seeing as how there is no financial muscle behind both the leagues and football clubs then total private ownership is the only option. I'd prefer to see Mr Kaspersky take over the whole thing much like Abramovich and his Russian mates in the EPL.
I have also fantasised about being owned by Kaspersky.....hmmm rethink how I phrase that.

However the idea of spreading the risk has merit, especially with an independent chair. Ultimately you need your owner or owners to have a genuine interest in the team and not look at them as a plaything

The problem with a sole owner is the likelihood of games going where the money can be made. Remember we don't own any ground. I know,I know, this thing has been done to death on this site.

My only issue was the throw away line of home games being moved

Not sure how this is relevant to the debate and sounds like nothing more than scare mongering to me

RE: Penn threatens to pull Manly funding

Any chance we can have a thread that doe snot turn into a petty s fight?

Having been away for the long weekend it looks like there is another storm a brewing

All I know is that one of the reasons Des gave for not being happy at Manly were the issues at board level

So what, if anything has changed?

A question for those more educated in these matters than me - how much did the Penns tip in last year v Qantam V Leagues club etc?

lsz said:
My only issue was the throw away line of home games being moved

Not sure how this is relevant to the debate and sounds like nothing more than scare mongering to me

Isz
I have asked the same question. What I was told is that the danger in changing the deed or preference share that it controls these things and that it starts the rot. The dead was agreed when they all brought in and should not be changed.
Mayer and Penn tried to change it in 08 and Max stood up for the football club. Penn wants to change it again and Quantum don't.
With it gone Penn get control. I as a member and sponsor want it protected.

Fair enough love footy

one question for you

As it stands it is difficult for the club to survive while playing games at brookie (in it's current state)

Form what i can gather to help long term viability games need to be moved away from Brookie - 2 at this stage and possibly more

If it meant the club would survive how would you feel about games being moved away from Brookie?

lsz said:
Fair enough love footy

one question for you

As it stands it is difficult for the club to survive while playing games at brookie (in it's current state)

Form what i can gather to help long term viability games need to be moved away from Brookie - 2 at this stage and possibly more

If it meant the club would survive how would you feel about games being moved away from Brookie?

Well all I can say if that was the case then all of the football club members would make the call not one of the owners . We the members own where we play. I would expect a full meeting. I don't think that will happen any time soon as under Perry we are making money and that is while we are at brookie.

If the members provided as much revenue / support from the club i would agree with you

If they do not then I do not

He who pays the most should have the most say (in my humble op)

One other point would you, as a member, not expect a full meeting when a no confidence motion is passed?

I know you have direct access to a board member so you are more informed than must but how is the average member informed?

I must admit I am not a member but I am so sick of all this crap that this motivates me to join

lsz said:
If the members provided as much revenue / support from the club i would agree with you

One other point would you, as a member, not expect a full meeting when a no confidence motion is passed?

I know you have direct access to a board member so you are more informed than must but how is the average member informed?

I must admit I am not a member but I am so sick of all this crap that this motivates me to join

I have said this before, I was told that Penn had agreed to rotate the chair when the commission came in. That was 5 months ago. He was asked for the last 2 months to honor his promis. In the end he said he would only if the football club gave them one of there board spots.
That coursed the no confidence vote.

lovefooty said:
lsz said:

I have said this before, I was told that Penn had agreed to rotate the chair when the commission came in. That was 5 months ago. He was asked for the last 2 months to honor his promis. In the end he said he would only if the football club gave them one of there board spots.

Surely a compromise would be add an extra spot on the board and give penn sport a 4 director and then have an independent chairman who votes only to break a 4all deadlock.

That way penn sport has 50% of the board that reflects their share holding but there is still 4 other board members to keep them in check.

lovefooty said:
lsz said:
Fair enough love footy

one question for you

Well all I can say if that was the case then all of the football club members would make the call not one of the owners . We the members own where we play. I would expect a full meeting. I don't think that will happen any time soon as under Perry we are making money and that is while we are at brookie.

You do know their is going to come a time very soon where the Nrl makes that Decision for us and I think it will be within the next couple of years sadly. They want more games at sfs and Anz.

Cameron said:
lovefooty said:
lsz said:

Surely a compromise would be add an extra spot on the board and give penn sport a 4 director and then have an independent chairman who votes only to break a 4all deadlock.

That way penn sport has 50% of the board that reflects their share holding but there is still 4 other board members to keep them in check.

lovefooty said:
lsz said:
Fair enough love footy

one question for you

You do know their is going to come a time very soon where the Nrl makes that Decision for us and I think it will be within the next couple of years sadly. They want more games at sfs and Anz.

Good point but how will they ever agree on the chairman with a casting vote. All the groups will want there own man. The Penn's must work with the others and stop trying to control the club. They have more spots than the rest. They have 3 the F C has 2 Quan has 2. Why cant they get along with the other stake holders and work with them. They all want the club to succeed.

They all have faith in David Perry maybe he could head hunt a chairman for them.

Someone like Wendy Harmer wouldn't be a bad choice.

Cameron said:
They all have faith in David Perry maybe he could head hunt a chairman for them.

Someone like Wendy Harmer wouldn't bra bad choice.

Good point. Wendy would be great. What about Fatty or John Gibbs.

Hmmm don't know what to make of this?
Just on a side note this again proves what a bull**** artist our visitor from the kennel is.

From today's Smh.com.au
Leagues club backs Penn in Manly fight
GLENN JACKSON June 12, 2012

"The fractious nature of the club was evident again last Wednesday night when Penn, who has a 50.07 per cent shareholding in the leagues club, could not stop the board from passing a vote of no confidence in his chairmanship". Photo: Louie Douvis

MANLY'S boardroom power struggle has been complicated further with the leagues club throwing its support behind the embattled Sea Eagles chairman Scott Penn.

Penn, who has threatened to pull his financial support from the club after being asked to stand down at a Sea Eagles board meeting last Wednesday night, received unanimous backing by the separate leagues club board at a meeting on Sunday.

Bob Reilly, one of four members of the Sea Eagles board who voted to strip Penn of his role as the board's spokesman, did not attend the leagues club meeting.

David Costello, who took over as chairman of the leagues club from Reilly in February, urged Penn not to withdraw his support of the Sea Eagles.
Costello, the former boss of Clubs NSW, said the leagues club board ''felt it necessary to make it very clear to Scott Penn that his support of the Sea Eagles and the leagues club was greatly appreciated and encouraged Mr Penn and his family to continue that support''.

''In the present day game of rugby league there are not too many people who put their hands deeply in their own pockets to support the game and we are lucky to have a person of Mr Penn's calibre supporting not only the Sea Eagles, but the leagues club as well,'' he added.

The leagues club, which has supported the Sea Eagles to the tune of $33 million over the past 17 years, sold its shareholding in the Sea Eagles, and a seat on the board, to Penn last year.

That gave Penn Sport three seats on the seven-member board.
The fractious nature of the club was evident again last Wednesday night when Penn, who has a 50.07 per cent shareholding in the leagues club, could not stop the board from passing a vote of no confidence in his chairmanship.

Penn and his supporters have three votes on the board, while the Quantum company, which has a 37.5 per cent shareholding, and the district football club (12 per cent) have four votes between them. Quantum boss Phil Sidney has assumed the role of board spokesman and has stated he is prepared to buy out Penn's stake.

The leagues club board comprises former players Max Krilich, Cliff Lyons and Peter Peters, as well as Kerry Sibraa, Brian Smith, Costello and Reilly.
Costello also wrote a letter to Penn, who is the landlord of the leagues club, to reiterate his support while also calling Penn's opponents ''corporate protagonists''.

''In the shadow of the very disappointing and public coverage of what occurred in the Sea Eagles board meeting, our board unanimously agreed that it was important not only to thank you for what you have achieved so far for the Manly, Warringah and Pittwater community, but also to encourage you to continue in your role with the Sea Eagles,'' Costello wrote.

I don't really know what to make of it either Cam but it does sort of come across to me that it is pointing the finger at Bob Reilly.

The question is do we want one owner to have full control of OUR club?
He did buy into the club knowing the arrangement.

We have won 2 gf's under the current system.

What happens in 5 or 25 years time when Penn wants out?

Jethro said:
I don't really know what to make of it either Cam but it does sort of come across to me that it is pointing the finger at Bob Reilly.

So Reilly cop,s it again for standing up for the members again. The penns want control of the football club. They then can do what ever they like with out any questions.
I can understand Costello as the penns control the rent and loans to the leagues club. They are not trading well and need the Penn support to keep the doors open.

Lovefooty my question to you was not about the information you had rather the fact that the people who represent the members did not make this information available before acting

lsz said:
Lovefooty my question to you was not about the information you had rather the fact that the people who represent the members did not make this information available before acting

Isn't that the problem with democracies today. So you are saying no votes at sea eagles unless we have a referendum. Not practical.
He has been doing the job for us for a long time now and I and a hell of a lot of other members support him.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10