MWSE forum new level of stupidity

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
SER8, I wanted to say well done for the post on MWSE.

For those that can't view it, I've pasted it below.
I'm confident you won't mind me sharing this here but in case you would like me to remove it SER8, please just let me know.

--------------------------------------------------------

Well I've got home and thought about this issue, this is what I came up with.

Quote:

Rather than abandon the Sea Eagles Forum for members, management has decided to clean it up and make it a pleasant place for healthy debate and constructive, fair criticism.

However, a strict watch will be made over all postings to ensure some of the gutter attacks on players and officials of the club, are eliminated.

Some postings on players in recent weeks has been unacceptable and as a result there have been several immediate bans imposed. The bans are non negotiable.

Being a member doesn’t entitle anyone to slander and belittle a player or administrator.

This attitude won’t be tolerated on the official web site of the club. The majority of users of the forum are genuine Sea Eagles supporters with a passion for their club.

Most have a sound knowledge of the game and are willing to debate issues without denigrating people who regularly visit the site. A player out of form doesn’t need to be told he is pathetic or useless by someone who has never pulled on a football boot.

And the coaching staff who delivered a premiership to the club less than two years ago certainly don’t need to be told how to do their job!

Forum members are requested to contact media manager Peter Peters on 99703000 or [email protected] if they have a forum issue.

If you are suddenly locked out of the forum please don’t call reception and complain. Contact the media manager because he is the person who has banned you.

Enjoy the forum for all the good reasons. Have your say on your favourite club but please don’t slander anyone in the process.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Admin
Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles Limited

… ‘gutter attacks’ on players and officials – Admin you make it sound like Parliament!

This quote is one of the more remarkable official announcements by the Sea Eagles in recent times, unfortunately notable for its lack of logic and clarity. It reads like an attack on a political opponent, yet it is directed at . . . paying members!

It is said that some postings have been unacceptable – what are the criteria?

Slander is referred to more than once. Has publishing written comments ever been slander (even before the distinction between slander and libel was abolished in this state)? As for defamation, I thought there were a number of defences to an action for defamation. Such as, for example, that the material is substantially true. Or … how about … the defence of triviality (the defamed party is unlikely to sustain any harm)? Or what about, the defence of honest opinion (see s31 of the NSW Defamation Act 2005)?

It simply muddies the waters to use emotive terms like ‘belittle’ and ‘denigrate’.

It is alleged that most fans have a sound knowledge of the game. Is this a requirement of membership, or participation in the forum?

We've been informed that coaching staff don’t need to be told how to do their job. I would be truly amazed if Des Hasler was upset about forum comments. But if he was, and he went on the forum and made his feelings known, I’m sure he would get a tremendous response from members. (I recall a former very prominent club official was not above participating on the forum on occasion.)

So players who are struggling for form don’t want to know what some (repeat, some) fans are saying? Well how are they going to cope with live fans on the hill?

This dramatic crackdown and the mass banning can only lead to speculation about the ‘real’ motive. Is it the case that the NRL are pressuring clubs to ‘purify’ official forums? Or is it the case that the club simply is aiming to close the forum, due to the cost of monitoring or some other reason? If any of these are true why not just tell us . . .?

It is hard not to think there is a hidden agenda when Admin's own announcement refers to unacceptable posts “in recent weeks” – why were they tolerated at that time, yet suddenly not tolerated now? And why have a number of members been banned in the last 24 hours for simply disagreeing with this policy, using words that could not conceivably be deemed defamatory?

I see that forum members (I assume that means club members) are requested to contact the media manager if they have a forum issue. Does this mean it is forbidden to also raise these matters on the forum? (guess I'll find out!)

My opinion is that increased fan participation in the club is essential for the clubs future, and a lively and popular online forum can play an important role in achieving that.

great post,

should have asked him about Lotti's involvement that inflamed the place a few weeks ago, where was Admin then ?

Matabele link said:
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=183397.msg263726#msg263726 date=1274953916]

Giving someone a fair crack at their role, rather than sticking the boot in before they have even started,
  I didn't realise Lowe was born just yesterday.  We're starting to see he was born prior to 1960 given this thread, that's for sure. 
[/quote]

So there is an age limit now that means you can stop doing a job to an acceptable level ?

Am glad nobody passed that info onto Lyons and Menzies

Dan link said:
I know you are a kiwi mate, but fair-dinkum that's a lot of wool over your eyes

Why is that ? For giving someone a go

I read many times in 2005 that Matai would never be an NRL quality Rugby League player, 5 years later he is 1 of the vital components in our side imo

If Lowe stuffs up majorly, I will be into him, but will base how successful he is in his role on how well he actually does it, not on a birth date or pre conceived idea is lodged in my mind

Track record so far seems to be going ok, unless others can offer up some major failings of his to me in his 1st 6 months in the job ?

Hi guys,

It's Cody (Codeman) from MWSE. As has been mentioned in this thread, I have been banned for my criticism of the official forum's administration and their out of touch guidelines.

I am relieved to find that other forums exist, and am looking forward to being a contributor here too (assuming I don't get banned :p).

I wrote several emails to the club today, and received responses from Sarah Grady who I feel responded promptly and in a fashion one would expect an administration would towards one of its members. She suggested that I contact Peter Peters, and I did so, but have yet to receive a response from the man. I have decided to give him until tomorrow to reply to me - if he fails to do so, I intend to post (if it is alright with the administration here)  the emails I sent and received to the club so that a larger audience is aware of the club's policy and methods of dealing with their paying customers.

I look forward to getting to know those with whom I have had limited contact, and resume relationships with those who have posted along side me at the official website.

GO MANLY!

Kiwi Eagle link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=183397.msg263727#msg263727 date=1274954432]
[quote author=Kiwi Eagle link=topic=183397.msg263726#msg263726 date=1274953916]

Giving someone a fair crack at their role, rather than sticking the boot in before they have even started,
  I didn't realise Lowe was born just yesterday.  We're starting to see he was born prior to 1960 given this thread, that's for sure. 
[/quote]

So there is an age limit now that means you can stop doing a job to an acceptable level ?

Am glad nobody passed that info onto Lyons and Menzies
[/quote]  Do you know what a CV is?

Erm, a coaching stint a couple of decades ago.  How many first grade coaches can you name who have become CEOs?

Codeman I am happy for your email to be posted but we have to be a little careful with their emails it gets into a grey area especially if it has a confidentiality clause at the bottom

just use your best judgement and if anything crosses the line I will remove it.

But welcome anyway mate

codewana link said:
Hi guys,

It's Cody (Codeman) from MWSE. As has been mentioned in this thread, I have been banned for my criticism of the official forum's administration and their out of touch guidelines.

I am relieved to find that other forums exist, and am looking forward to being a contributor here too (assuming I don't get banned :p).

I wrote several emails to the club today, and received responses from Sarah Grady who I feel responded promptly and in a fashion one would expect an administration would towards one of its members. She suggested that I contact Peter Peters, and I did so, but have yet to receive a response from the man. I have decided to give him until tomorrow to reply to me - if he fails to do so, I intend to post (if it is alright with the administration here)  the emails I sent and received to the club so that a larger audience is aware of the club's policy and methods of dealing with their paying customers.

I look forward to getting to know those with whom I have had limited contact, and resume relationships with those who have posted along side me at the official website.

GO MANLY!

Welcome to Silvertails Codeman\wana.

After reading your questioning of MWSE Admins last night, I knew that you would have been banned by this morning. I also thought that Corso_Pete would have been gone too but I find that he is still there.

Corso_Pete also posts here and you will find quite a number of the MWSE forum regulars post here as well so you won't feel like the new guy who knows nobody. MWSE's Dancing zorba started posting here late yesterday afternoon under that name but has changed it to "XX Deleted" as of this morning.  

As for getting banned here, I don't think that anyone ever has.  Dan runs a great forum here that is a lot more open to opinions and is given a lot more freedom of speech and very rarely does it require policing.  

Everybody pretty much gets along well here and we give each other a bit of lip occasionally but it is mostly tongue in cheek and when it's not then we quickly build a bridge and get over it and don't hold grudges (well I don't think that we do anyway).

Anyway, like I said, welcome to Silvertails and we (hopefully I can speak for everyone here) look forward to your input to the forums.

Jethro link said:
As for getting banned here, I don't think that anyone ever has. 
  There have been a couple, but not for their opinions.  We've taken a couple out for being trolls. 

about a quarter of the people that join here seem to be the spammers advertising their Pills, meds etc, go check out the member list and youll see

Matabele link said:
[quote author=Jethro link=topic=183397.msg263746#msg263746 date=1274961058]

As for getting banned here, I don't think that anyone ever has.  

There have been a couple, but not for their opinions.  We've taken a couple out for being trolls.  
[/quote]

Oh okay, thanks for the info.  I didn't think anyone had been.  That's a pretty good figure, 2 bannings in the nearly 6 years that the site has existed (Silvertails/Alternate Eagles turns 6 years old on the 15th of July).

Hi guys,interesting reading re the MWSE forum.Decided to join up here.I haven't been banned yet,but,It'll probably happen.Some of you will know the user name.I would like to agree with those here that are saying these draconian measures may/will cost memberships.I dont know who exactly is running the ship over there,but I'm thinking Titanic!

ayjay007 link said:
Hi guys,interesting reading re the MWSE forum.Decided to join up here.I haven't been banned yet,but,It'll probably happen.Some of you will know the user name.I would like to agree with those here that are saying these draconian measures may/will cost memberships.I dont know who exactly is running the ship over there,but I'm thinking Titanic!

Welcome as well ayjay007. A lot of what I wrote to Codeman at Reply #110 to this thread is relevant to you too about what I think of this site.

The spambot sign ups reminds me I need to change the captcha system we are using they can get past the current one, I need to do another clean out too. I deleted about 500 members about 3 weeks ago

lol WAMF, no worries. Maybe if the club doesn't want the responsibility of running their own forum they could provide some $ sponsorship so fans can have a forum somewhere else, here for example...

:) some sponsorshipt money would be great. This site costs me far more than it makes though through two kind hearted souls that is starting to come into a break even allignment

XX Deleted link said:
a very good point I'm in the process of reviewing that usually annual payment as we speak! but It's a joke especially when they ban a gold member how dumb can you get!

I was banned without notice too.  My Signature from the MWSE was realized by the great Scribe - "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds". 
The last person you would contact is the Media Manager as he obviously is only interested in hearing accolades - or more correctly echos of his own opinions.

"I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it."  has to be the basis of every forum.

In my post defining 'forum - open place for discussion...' (does not include full agreement or blindly following a dictum in Websters Dictionary)  I also wrote that some Posters passion may overtake them out of the bounds of civility.  But that we all love Manly and that leaving blank Messages with XX Deleted is Paranoia Central.

I did point out a few weeks back that the Management of MW forget that all Supporters choose to spend only discretionary income on their Team - its not a necessity.  The Owners are welcome to pay my share of the Gold Pass and the overpriced Gear.

I am certainly not going to financially support Manly anymore. 

I also was upset at the Manly Daily article about Grant Goldman's exit.  In particular the comment by Lowe that '...the Club doesn't comment on CASUAL employees..' terminations.  Many decades of the Beaver, Gorgeous George etc had me in stitches.  I don't know GG, but his exuberance was part of my Brookie experience.  As most Supporters, the behaviour of any Player or the Announcer is of no interest to me.  My sole focus is what happens during the game.

Whilst I have never posted any articles critiquing Players, ironically the last post before the XX Deleted action was 'I love Matai and his gleefull look each time he gets the ball near the tryline...'  LOL

No dissent leads to stagnation in my opinion.

Thank you for enabling impassioned Supporters a forum of free expression.
Hope to see some fellow exiles in Townsville tommorrow ;)

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • lsz
    First Grader
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8