• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The ad was supposed to be about RUGBY LEAGUE.

It is supposed to inspire participation in the game by kids and fans to get to grounds and become members if I'm not mistaken.

Why does someone's Aboriginality need to be highlighted ? George Peponis' Greek background wasn't highlighted and he captained Australia. (And it shouldn't be, by the way.)

Do we need to show two lesbians kissing to show we are accepting of people's sexuality ? Most people don't care which way you swing. Just don't be a dickhead is all most ask.

The tribalism that built this game is dwindling and the powers that be are too blind to see it. How did these clowns ever get in charge of a sport ?

Last edited:
Also on the politics point, It really just seems to be a certain sector of the public that are hammering this line

A) Politics and sport have ALWAYS mixed

B) When I first watched I didn't think politics at all, I saw a couple embrace after the game, no different to if it had been Cronk kissing his wife after a GF. I also saw a young superstar of our game proud of his heritage...................But it seems that I was wrong and it is the NRL telling us, nay forcing down our throats.....that two female players are in a relationship and that Latrell is Aboriginal?

The whole chat would be amusing if it wasn't so embarrassing
I kind of think you are providing yourself with your own answer. Cronk kissing his wife, or any other player kissing his wife, isn't shown in the ad because it isn't relevant and certainly not in the top moments of the last 30 years. Similarly two females in a same sex relationship kissing isn't in the top moments of the last 30 years so why include it ? The rise of women's sport, especially rugby league is, so why not highlight it more ?

Ok a few thoughts here,

Mitchell stands draped in the Aboriginal flag for about 5 second on an footy ad and half the Rugby league community loses their minds and it is Mitchells fault to think that people dont support aboriginal culture???

Secondly your point on Smith, I'm interested in this, if Smith was draped in the Australian flag would you be the same level of outrage? or Tapau in a kiwi flag? Genuine question just wondering if it is someone in a flag or just an Aboriginal thing?

If the girl singing was white or Asian etc would that be ok?
It's a im sick of this topic and just want my nrl back... the girl was aboriginal? Lol didn't notice. To me we are all Australian its people like Mitchell who label themselves otherwise. Don't like our flag dont like our anthem blah blah blah they should of had Mitchell with the flag like they did then add players with the Aussie flag the Tongan flag the NZ flag etc showing unity but nope they put this whinging kid on his own. Look at his comments on Carl stefanoviks opinion on the Ad. Who talks like that? White fellas black fellas what the heeeeeeck!
Point is there is not point pointing out he is aboriginal... get the point? I am you are WE ARE AUSTALIANS ;)

It's a im sick of this topic and just want my nrl back... the girl was aboriginal? Lol didn't notice. To me we are all Australian its people like Mitchell who label themselves otherwise. Don't like our flag dont like our anthem blah blah blah they should of had Mitchell with the flag like they did then add players with the Aussie flag the Tongan flag the NZ flag etc showing unity but nope they put this whinging kid on his own. Look at his comments on Carl stefanoviks opinion on the Ad. Who talks like that? White fellas black fellas what the heeeeeeck!
Point is there is not point pointing out he is aboriginal... get the point? I am you are WE ARE AUSTALIANS ;)
Maybe it's time you found another country then. I hear North Korea is good at getting everyone to agree to the same national philosophy ;)

Ive mentioned it before. But for me I don’t need anyone telling me what I should be saying or thinking in this politically correct world. For me comedy is the perfect segway in tackling these issues. If you haven’t already, watch Black Comedy on ABC iview. Imo this is what Australia is about. The aboriginal and white actors absolutely take the piss out of current and historical issues. The most important thing about the show imo, is it shows how we can move forward as one. Definitely one of my favourite comedy and relevant shows on TV. It’s all about the balance.
Love the show. Favourite clip ever is still the "What's this then sl......!" "Can't even dance!" scene.
I agree with you about the show. I reckon a show like this can bring people together and make us laugh at ourselves, whatever race we are.

I find the whole thing boring, the ad is dull and is pious virtue signalling at its worst
It's was to showcase the last 30 years of highlights WTF?
Greenberg you have laid another egg!!!
Latrel wouldn't move the needle as a highlight of the last 30years in reality, what about what Cliffy did till the age of 37yrs on the field or even Maninga Laurie Daly Lewis and thurstan?
Anyway I just don't think a surly spoilt sportsman who is often a bad sport whether he is black white yellow or whatever is a good image for the game
It's tribalism that is rugby league and not wokeness, leave that to the greens ALP and Greta Thunberg
Go Manly

Love the show. Favourite clip ever is still the "What's this then sl......!" "Can't even dance!" scene.
I agree with you about the show. I reckon a show like this can bring people together and make us laugh at ourselves, whatever race we are.
Yeah loved that one. But this one below had me in stitches (and the sketch was written by two of the Indigenous cast).

My take on it .... If you wanted to promote the Aboriginal participation ... then why not people that have gone on to successful and influential lives as a direct result of playing Rugby League ... such as Meninga, Daley, Beetson and scores of others .... why choose a bloke who's been in the game for 2 mins and who's biggest claim to fame is refusing to aknowledge the National anthem .... simply NOT the best choice of a role model ....

On the gay issue .... God love them and I hope each and every one of them a happy, healthy long and full life .... and those I know of on this site are amongst my favourite and most passionate fans .... but if the NRL think that because of that ad .. gay's and lesbians in their thousands will be storming clubs this morning to purchase seasons tickets and memberships ... or flooding Fox to buy the sports package .... then good luck with that marketing plan .... Simply NOT the best use of limited marketing dollars ....

The NRL has the brief to promote Ruby League .... Arko and Qualle went out of their way to remain non-political ... and simply run a sport ... they were so successful a war over ownership was launched ......
Yeah I dunno - if I was an ad expert I might be able to have the right answer to make a great ad. But even the experts that made this and tried to make an inclusive ad with current players must have found it hard to make a short ad that satisfies everyone. Anyway, I'll take away from it that we love the game and our team.

I only support the inclusion of the 2 birds kissing if it flashes to Izzy crying after the 08 GF
The original add was all about the footy and nothing but the footy and not about politics
Because......
SPORT UNITES PEOPLE AND POLITICS DIVIDES PEOPLE

There is a true saying ......
" The original and the best and
beware of cheap imitations "

The original and the best in Ken Arthurson and John Quales effort
was fcked up by the low standard imitation of Greenberg and Bettie

The other thing that the new add was missing was
Greenberg and Bettie kissing the NRL Goodbye
61hUZkR8mmL._AC_SY355_.jpg

Last edited:
From a marketing point of view, the advertisement did its job - everyone's talking about it.

As someone who has admittedly baited with contrarian political opinions on here before I'll leave you with this until the next time I'm under the influence and need to put one of you boomers in your place... save your bitching about politics for the next time we get shafted by the NRL.

From a marketing point of view, the advertisement did its job - everyone's talking about it.

As someone who has admittedly baited with contrarian political opinions on here before I'll leave you with this until the next time I'm under the influence and need to put one of you boomers in your place... save your bitching about politics for the next time we get shafted by the NRL.
Winner winner!

Next week then . . .

As I have stated, my issues with the ad, and I'm not losing sleep over it are, Smith, druggos and no 40 nil.
But here's a question.
If the ad had just concentrated on simply the best and the footy and the things being debated hadn't been included, would anyone feel left out?

It was one image of two players sharing a kiss............

The cost of adding that 1 second of imagery is no different to whatever you would have preferred to replace it.

I just can't get my head around this argument............not specifically directed at you Woodsie but the entire thing.

Nothing in and of itself is necessarily wrong .... but more indicative .. (to me) ... of an organisation that has lost direction .... when I have read of many old rusted on fans on this site and others say they are disenchanted with the NRL and no longer watch as many games ... or some have even said they feel like walking away from the game ....

In a back ground atmosphere like that .... if you deliberately choose to use the big moment of the season launch to virtue signal then goodo ... but I am not certain that the markets they are trying to impress will flood the game with new seasons ticket holders or swell the TV audience ..which after all is the purpose of marketing and advertising ....

And I am also sure Latrell Mitchell is loved and admired in some quarters .... however none that I am familar with ..... whenever his name comes up in the many conversations I have with fans of all clubs .. including Souff's .... he is generally regarded in a "poor" light .. To use this individual as the representative of the great contribution countless indigenous people have made to the game of Rugby League, ... rather than many better choices ...... to me, shows a lack of judgement and connection to the average fan that is almost terminal ..

Yeah I dunno - if I was an ad expert I might be able to have the right answer to make a great ad. But even the experts that made this and tried to make an inclusive ad with current players must have found it hard to make a short ad that satisfies everyone. Anyway, I'll take away from it that we love the game and our team.

Yep ... many years ago a mate who spend a fortune on advetising every year told me only half of it worked ... if now he could only figure which half .....

Nothing in and of itself is necessarily wrong .... but more indicative .. (to me) ... of an organisation that has lost direction .... when I have read of many old rusted on fans on this site and others say they are disenchanted with the NRL and no longer watch as many games ... or some have even said they feel like walking away from the game ....

In a back ground atmosphere like that .... if you deliberately choose to use the big moment of the season launch to virtue signal then goodo ... but I am not certain that the markets they are trying to impress will flood the game with new seasons ticket holders or swell the TV audience ..which after all is the purpose of marketing and advertising ....

And I am also sure Latrell Mitchell is loved and admired in some quarters .... however none that I am familar with ..... whenever his name comes up in the many conversations I have with fans of all clubs .. including Souff's .... he is generally regarded in a "poor" light .. To use this individual as the representative of the great contribution countless indigenous people have made to the game of Rugby League, ... rather than many better choices ...... to me, shows a lack of judgement and connection to the average fan that is almost terminal ..
I don’t think the NRL are preaching to the rusted on fans because they are rusted on and, let’s be honest, rusting. Their competition for bums and eyeballs are all entertainment, including Netflix, and all other sports. All AFL clubs are ****ting all over them when it comes to membership and the AFL has a much more (undeserved in my opinion) inclusive reputation.
It’s a different world now and I don’t envy them trying to tackle it. It think the idea of the ad was good but the execution and choices were extremely poor. They could have got the message across by building the excitement with the momentum of the ad including an exciting try by - and how often have we seen this? - scored by an indigenous player with a huge grin wearing the aboriginal mouth guard. A big hit from the women’s game followed by the kiss. Etc.
if I were still teaching I would have had this ad in front of my media students as an example of good intentions gone bad.
Now onto the footy. Can’t wait!

Last edited:
In today’s climate getting people talking about a campaign is not the ideal unless it is in a positive sentiment - that is very much old school thinking

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8