New Team for 2016 season

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Saw Matt Parcel score a great try for Ipswich yesterday against the Northern Pride. He looks like a really good hooking prospect, so we are not going to be short of rakes next year.

The headache Trent Barrett is going to have is the backline. The Forwards pretty much pick themselves, but the backline is going to be interesting.

We don't really have to worry about fullback. Barring injury, that's Snake's job. Tommy is our FB in waiting plus we have two other excellent FB's in Peta Hiku and Clint Gutherson.

One big question is how will Skivy's body hold up? He's done amazingly well to get on the field week in, week out considering the battering his body takes, but how long can he last? His form in the past three weeks has been ordinary, but hopefully he returns to the form we saw from him in 2014.

Another question is how do you fit 7 players (Snake, Jorge, Peta, Killer, Skivy, Tommy and Gutho) into just 5 positions. One way (and even then one misses out) is to move Killer to the vacant 5/8 spot. That would allow Hiku to move to centre with either Tommy or Gutho onto the wing. Gutho can kick goals which is a bonus, but mostly due to his ACL injury, Tommy has stolen a march on him for the spot having played 9 games and scored 8 tries on the wing this year, not to mention his record breaking performances in the U/20's.

Unless Killer is moved to 5/8 and/or someone spends a fair bit of time on the sidelines with injury, someone (probably either Tommy or Gutho or both) is going to spend most of their time in NSW Cup.

Koroisau can play 5/8, but he's a better hooker. I can't see Tim Moltzen being given the job as DCE's halves partner as I think he's strictly NSW Cup and rep game or injury replacement material.

Honestly, the way I see our top 17 being in 2016 is this:

Brett Stewart (vc), Jorge Taufua, Peta Hiku, Steve Matai, Tom Trbojevic, Jamie Lyon (c), Daly Cherry-Evans, Jake Trbojevic, Api Koroisau, Nate Myles, Feleti Mateo, Lewis Brown, Darcy Lussick. Res - Jamie Buhrer, Tom Symonds, Josh Starling, Jese Sene-Lafeo.

T

Honestly, the way I see our top 17 being in 2016 is this:

Brett Stewart (vc), Jorge Taufua, Peta Hiku, Steve Matai, Tom Trbojevic, Jamie Lyon (c), Daly Cherry-Evans, Jake Trbojevic, Api Koroisau, Nate Myles, Feleti Mateo, Lewis Brown, Darcy Lussick. Res - Jamie Buhrer, Tom Symonds, Josh Starling, Jese Sene-Lafeo.

That's a very good side, but I doubt Lussick will start; I think Buhrer will start in the backrow with Lussick on the bench...it's a strong side.

If we could snare Moa from the Roosters, I think we'd be challenging the best sides.

Although there is no evidence (because he hasn't coached a first grade team before), I tend to think that Barrett will go with the trend of playing a front rower at lock which is why I've put Lussick there.

If we got someone like Moa it would probably push Myles to the second row (or lock) and Lussick to the bench with either T-Red or JSL being the one to miss out.

Sadly I can't see a spot for Matty Ballin when he returns from injury. And if Matt Parcell is playing hooker in the NSW Cup side, where does that leave him?

The biggest question is who is going to play 5/8? For mine the leading candidates are (in order) Killer, Koroisau, Moltzen, Tommy and Gutho. As said, I can't see it being Moltzen. Tommy or Gutho is a long shot, as is talk of moving Snake there, and forget talk of Hiku, he doesn't have the vision to be an effective play making pivot. If its Killer, Koroisau will be hooker. If its Koroisau, Parcell will be the hooker.

Then again, we might also sign a good 5/8 between now and next season. And then there is that union kid (can't remember his name atm) who is supposed to be a gun 5/8.

We are going to lose players like Killer, Snake and Skivy over the next year or two. But with youngsters like Tommy and Gutho, plus Jorge who is only 23 and Peta Hiku who is 22, I think we're in pretty good shape for the future.

Last edited:
So where does Brenton Lawrence fit into all this or has to left the club. He was our standout prop until he was injured.

So where does Brenton Lawrence fit into all this or has to left the club. He was our standout prop until he was injured.

Good question. The problem will be his fitness.

The other question is where does Blake Leary fit? With our new signings I think he's going to be pushed into NSW Cup in the pecking order.

1. Snake
2. Taufua
3. Gutherson
4. Matai
5. Tommy
6. Killer
7. DCE
8. Jake
9. Ballin / Korisau
10. Lawrence
11. Myles
12. Mateo
13. Buhrer
14. Starling
15. JSL
16. Lussick
17. Leary / Brown

Gutho doesn't need to be 'blooded' on the wing. He is more than capable of jumping in to centre.

Is it worth losing the versatility of Hiku for Trbo?

Mateo needs to go, he does more damage than good I think, and with Buhrer back, Leary finding his feet, Brown on board, he is too much of a liability.

I think Gutherson and Tom are quicker and more talented than Hiku, even though I think Hiku does a good job. We've got two of the most outstanding young backs coming through. lets not waste them

Stewart
Trbojevic
Matai
Gutherson
Taufua
Lyon
DCE

With all the names being thrown around, surely depth won't be an issue next year.

Snake and DCE are certainties. Killer as well. It's just a matter of what number will be on his back. Throw Matai in as well. That leaves 3 spots in the backline. I have less than no clue who will line up but I hope Tommy Turbo is there.

The forwards ?

We didn't buy Myles to play him in NSW Cup. He's in. Jake is a certainty. I'd say they're the only walk up starters. There's about 10 potential others.....BJ, Starling, Ballin, Feleti, Lussick, Brown, JSL, Leary, Ferris, T-Red.

Korisau was good for the Riff at 6. Or is he a 9 ? Safe to say, barring catastrophe, Hodges has seen his last game at NRL level. Don't rate the guy at all. Throws more balloons than a clown at a children's party.

2016......the beginning of a new decade of dominance.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10