Announcement New themes available for trial, vote within

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

What should we do with the themes?

• Keep them all and the choices

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Switch to the 2017 theme

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • Switch to the Dark "lottoland" theme

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Stay on the Brookvale 2016 theme

Votes: 10 25.6%

• Total voters

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
Hi All,

I have made some changes to the themes and layouts. They are based on the same design that we have always had however I have modernized and changed them slightly.

I would like to get your feedback on them. In the past we have always offered one theme, this is so that everyone has a consistent and same experience throughout the site and that it is easier to maintain.

Over the years I have consistently been asked to add a dark theme, which is difficult given the club colours and I have never really found dark themes that aesthetically pleasing. However I have added one for us to try and take a look at as well as a modified current theme which is cleaner and has the sidebar left aligned (I can move it back to the right very easily if required)

To change your theme please go to the bottom of the screen and select the little paintbrush it should say "Brookvale Oval 2016" next to it, click that and select one of the other themes have a play around and let me know your feedback and thoughts and whether we should keep them. My preference is to move us to the 2017 theme at this point.

Dan

Additionally I will look into other theme options as eventually I would like to do a theme refresh that suits all and with the quick logo refresh I have completed there are more options available to us

Jesus anything but the dark lottoland theme please. I vomited in my mouth a little. Can't tell the difference between the other two.

At the risk of coming off a little dull, can you do screenshots of both?

Jesus anything but the dark lottoland theme please. I vomited in my mouth a little. Can't tell the difference between the other two.

At the risk of coming off a little dull, can you do screenshots of both?
yeah I do not like dark themes either.

As for the other two there is very little difference, the 2017 theme has a lot more lighter colours

The Dark one makes coloured fonts impossible to read
Can't see the Like/Dislike at all

A dark gray background would work

I tried the black but I went back to the 2016 version

2017 looks unManly with the blue colours

giphy.gif

But thanks for trying to excite or senses @Dan

Last edited:
I like the new theme not just because of the clean look but my god that performance increase in using the mobile site! Don't get me wrong, I love the silvertails forum but it would hold up every now and then when loading pages on my phone (Nexus 6p). Now it's an absolute delight to use with pages loading and scrolling nicely on my phone.

The Dark one makes coloured fonts impossible to read
Can't see the Like/Dislike at all

A dark gray background would work

I tried the black but I went back to the 2016 version

2017 looks unManly with the blue colours

giphy.gif

But thanks for trying to excite or senses @Dan

Later this year after the season there will likely be a major install/version change of the site, I will then make a wholesale new theme for us all.

Personally the theme is pretty good but getting a little stale. I also know how much everyone here loathes change though :)

Later this year after the season there will likely be a major install/version change of the site, I will then make a wholesale new theme for us all.

Personally the theme is pretty good but getting a little stale. I also know how much everyone here loathes change though :)
You could have a 'heat sensor' for after losing games.
Have the site get more and more red as the troll counts increase :giggle:

You could have a 'heat sensor' for after losing games.
Have the site get more and more red as the troll counts increase :giggle:
Already something like that in creation. I'm building a tone sensor that senses the tone of a thread, post, user and site over x amount of time and then allowing people to hide positive negative or nuetral posts as well as set other options

I like the new theme not just because of the clean look but my god that performance increase in using the mobile site! Don't get me wrong, I love the silvertails forum but it would hold up every now and then when loading pages on my phone (Nexus 6p). Now it's an absolute delight to use with pages loading and scrolling nicely on my phone.
Interesting all 3 themes use the exact same framework just different colour settings

I went option 1 which is all options yeah? which I never knew I had so there you go.

Btw, when did you change the letterstyle (font) for the logo?
I'd not noticed or paid any attention.

I like the blue buttons but not sure about the left aligned sidebar, I guess I would get used to it...

I went option 1 which is all options yeah? which I never knew I had so there you go.

Btw, when did you change the letterstyle (font) for the logo?
I'd not noticed or paid any attention.
Just this morning, I will probably do more styling on it later but wanted to get something more fresh up

Dan, did you have more than one theme before? What happened to Custom Style 1? That's what I think had been using since you changed everything last time. I seem to remember that I preferred the alternate theme last time. When I logged on this morning, the forum was just a white generic style theme. Not sure if the Custom Style 1 theme was the same as the Brookvale2016 theme but I liked the Custom Style 1 theme.

In any case, I don't like the dark theme. Both Brookvale themes are ok but I much prefer the sidebar on the right. It looks wrong on the left.

Hi Dan,

I like the 2017 Theme its clean and in line with current web design standards.

Can I just make one comment. That side bar on the left is distracting from a readability point of view. (sorry this is my line of work talking here). Feel free to ignore my comment. :)

The side bar is actually distracting as our natural reading behaviour is left to right, and as a result your eyes default to the top left of screen. So each time I keep focusing on the sidebar.

Normally a sidebar at the left is OK, but because the main div is roughly 1250px and centred, the sidebar is in view of your normal reading position at the centre of screen.

Commonly today sites with sidebars run the full 1920, and sites with centred divs (or main/section) only run a top menu bar (or right sidebar).

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10