Announcement New themes available for trial, vote within

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

What should we do with the themes?

• Keep them all and the choices

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Switch to the 2017 theme

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • Switch to the Dark "lottoland" theme

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Stay on the Brookvale 2016 theme

Votes: 10 25.6%

• Total voters
Hi Dan,

I like the 2017 Theme its clean and in line with current web design standards.

Can I just make one comment. That side bar on the left is distracting from a readability point of view. (sorry this is my line of work talking here). Feel free to ignore my comment. :)

The side bar is actually distracting as our natural reading behaviour is left to right, and as a result your eyes default to the top left of screen. So each time I keep focusing on the sidebar.

Normally a sidebar at the left is OK, but because the main div is roughly 1250px and centred, the sidebar is in view of your normal reading position at the centre of screen.

Commonly today sites with sidebars run the full 1920, and sites with centred divs (or main/section) only run a top menu bar (or right sidebar).
The distraction is somewhat deliberate, to draw your eye to advertising. I am not sure I like it there though, its a simple fix.

I want to reskin the whole site but at this stage I need to wait as our backend software is going through a change to a new version so I dont want to do too much work until that happens sometime toward the end of the year and I can start my porting over to the new version.

Are you a front-end developer? Happy to hear your other thoughts

Interesting all 3 themes use the exact same framework just different colour settings
Just did some additional tests. All 3 themes seem quite a bit quicker than what the website was before. Did you end up making any changes to the framework in the back end? Whatever it is I love it :p

Dan, did you have more than one theme before? What happened to Custom Style 1? That's what I think had been using since you changed everything last time. I seem to remember that I preferred the alternate theme last time. When I logged on this morning, the forum was just a white generic style theme. Not sure if the Custom Style 1 theme was the same as the Brookvale2016 theme but I liked the Custom Style 1 theme.

In any case, I don't like the dark theme. Both Brookvale themes are ok but I much prefer the sidebar on the right. It looks wrong on the left.
Always had the one theme for a long time, with the app we had a theme for a while, but I really disliked it so it went

Well after some toing and froing, I really can't decide which one I like the most, so all three get my vote....!!!!

I am also interested in hearing your thoughts on the changed logo font. I still like the tail but want to settle on a new font and happy to hear ideas.

2016 Brookvale theme for me too however, I would like to see what it would look like with the post box and quoted post box grey colours reversed as sometimes all the bright white and light grey gives me a migraine if I am online reading too much.

like the 2017 one best.

Only real suggestion i can think of.
Maybe do a call out for people who have taken photos at games to submit and offer their permission to use them and update the "backgrounds", build up a bigger selection of those, and instead of them rotating constantly every few seconds, only change it when a new page is loaded. keeps things fresher looking in my opinion. Nowadays there are lots of wider angle / better quality lenses on phones, so between the regulars (as long as they all arent in the same section of the ground), you could probably get a good selection to add to rotation and update the rotations 2-3 times during the season.

• Well done on giving us options as I remember the turmoil last time you did it.
  • Went with 2017. Maybe because you wanted it and it looks a bit fresher(power of suggestion?)
  • Dark themes are for gamer wanna-be's (lol - just kidding gamers.)
  • I had crepes for breakfast.

Is it possible to spend time speading up this website.

It is THE SLOWEST web site I have ever used.

Thanks

Is it possible to spend time speading up this website.

It is THE SLOWEST web site I have ever used.

Thanks
That is odd to me, because the server sits in Sydney I have a latency of about 350ms for my connection to get to the server, yet it renders very quickly, for instance this page took 0.5seconds to render and about 3 seconds to load the page. I am currently using a computer that is simple a core m3 with 4GB RAM.

What device are you using if it is so slow?

I do hear this from time to time but wonder what the slowness is being judged upong, often the adverts take longer to render so you will get spinning in the browser but all the content loads before adverts and 90% of the JS renders asynchronously i.e. the page loads before the javascript and heavy stuff stuff loads.

So whilst I don't doubt it is loading slowly for you, I need to understand what you mean by slow and what device you are using for the metrics so I can figure this out?

For me the site loads as fast as any other site and i notice no latency unless we are under extreme load (i.e. when we have 400+ concurrent people online)

• Well done on giving us options as I remember the turmoil last time you did it.
  • Went with 2017. Maybe because you wanted it and it looks a bit fresher(power of suggestion?)
  • Dark themes are for gamer wanna-be's (lol - just kidding gamers.)
  • I had crepes for breakfast.
I have never liked dark themes but understand many people are more pre-disposed to them and certain conditions are complicated by lighter themes so happy to offer one.

I will be doping an overhaul at the end of the year of the entire design

Ok, don't get drug tested!
whoops

Can you comment on page speed though?

I keep hearing the site is slow, but I can't replicate slowness on any of my devices
macbook air, xioami air 12.5, ipad air, iphone 6s or my android TV box.

I really want to nail that

whoops

Can you comment on page speed though?

I keep hearing the site is slow, but I can't replicate slowness on any of my devices
macbook air, xioami air 12.5, ipad air, iphone 6s or my android TV box.

I really want to nail that

It's fine for me. No problems at all. I also don't get any ads through the premium service so nothing to load there.

edit: If there is ever anything I make sure to do the whole 'clear cache', usually log out and in again, and every now and then the laptop can do with a restart.

But this site (for me) is fine.

It's fine for me. No problems at all. I also don't get any ads through the premium service so nothing to load there.

edit: If there is ever anything I make sure to do the whole 'clear cache', usually log out and in again, and every now and then the laptop can do with a restart.

But this site (for me) is fine.
ta yeah its something I can't reproduce even on older hardware, maybe through the app on an old galaxy s3 but that is it.

@XV-1 can you add any more colour to this so I can track it down?

Much prefer the dark theme. Easier on the eyes. I've never been a fan of too much white space because of the glare. The other two have too much of this and I also see very little difference between the two. It would be nice to have the choice I guess as I can understand why others wouldn't like the dark theme.

Not too keen of the new logo font.

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10