Announcement New themes available for trial, vote within

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

What should we do with the themes?

• Keep them all and the choices

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Switch to the 2017 theme

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • Switch to the Dark "lottoland" theme

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Stay on the Brookvale 2016 theme

Votes: 10 25.6%

• Total voters
Also noticed comment on the background photo slideshow. I have always found it distracting and wouldn't be upset if this disappeared. Or at least the slideshow stopped. Maybe have a single picture changed weekly. It's giving me the sh!ts as I type this.

STOP IT NOW!

You are a brave man @Dan throwing this out to the masses. Everyone is going to have a different opinion and you are never going to please everyone. I appreciate your sentiment though and asking our opinion. I personally think you are just better off to go - "ta da' new upgraded site everyone. Enjoy!!!

Just for the record, I don't have a problem with the speed of the site. It loads as quick as any other site for me.

@Dan the Toolbar in the default or 2016 version gets a large split between the Font and Link icons on a New Post - not in edit of existing post - Toolbar spans 4 instead of 3 lines

Man I'm loving this dark theme. Can't stop posting.
Maybe for the benefit of @Frank who obviously LOVES the dark theme. Can you have the option of having the dark or light theme? Or is that difficult to maintain long term?? I don't know. I am gumby when it comes to this IT stuff.
I'm just going to go outside and play cricket for half an hour whilst I wait for the Commodore64 to load. @:cool:

I am also interested in hearing your thoughts on the changed logo font. I still like the tail but want to settle on a new font and happy to hear ideas.

*sigh* I can't even remember the old one.

edit: found it, sorry.
lT8CaFkn.jpg

I always thought the white space on the logo above should actually be silver....for silvertails.

The dark theme... You can't see the like/dislike button all that well. Possibly easily fixed...possibly not. sandwich!

Obviously the app is working but is the forum down on websites? I've tried different computers and cannot access the forum on a web page?

I actually like the dark theme. White writing on a maroon background is easy to read - and maroon is my favourite colour.

One thing that may be able to be tweaked is that embedded links aren't that easy to differentiate from normal text. e.g. Tipping Comp link . Is there a way of changing the text or the font so that it is more obvious.

As far as the logo font is concerned - new one looks OK. Don't have a strong opinion either way. How would it look in those varsity / letterman type fonts ? they have a sporting / supporter type of feel to them.

Is it possible to spend time speading up this website.

It is THE SLOWEST web site I have ever used.

Thanks
From time to time it has also been extremely slow for me. I think it might be the ads. They can take an eternity to load sometimes. I was using an ad blocker at one stage and found the site was much quicker but do not use it now because of the nag message Dan put up. This has been the same on Android and a Windows PC. The speed is passable at the moment though on a Windows PC.

I've done that with no success...work computer home computer and phone will not allow me to access the forum from a browser... google and explorer
Very odd it's working fine on every check I can make isitdownrightnow reports it as down so somewhere something is routing incorrectly every other website checked and dns checker has it as up. I'll need to run a few checks this morning.

I really want to reprovision the server and do a distribution upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04 but that will mean the whole site is down for a day or so whilst I build it. I think I might target that for bye rounds anyway and rebuild the stack entirely as I need to do that eventually anyway

further to my background comment.
maybe apply simple filters over them to make them sit more in the background rather than jump out at you. I've seen sites that blend / fade them into a solid colour a bit, some put very light patterns (dots / lines) over the image which take the focus off a little.
(very quick example - you can see the css code used at https://jsfiddle.net/wefLyrhp/38/ )
Untitled-2.jpg

Given they are large images, you have compressed them obviously to allow faster loading, which takes the quality out of it, noticeably, but with a few tricks / blurring / effects it could be less noticeable and make the main site content itself stand out rather than Horo's head!

That is odd to me, because the server sits in Sydney I have a latency of about 350ms for my connection to get to the server, yet it renders very quickly, for instance this page took 0.5seconds to render and about 3 seconds to load the page. I am currently using a computer that is simple a core m3 with 4GB RAM.

What device are you using if it is so slow?

I do hear this from time to time but wonder what the slowness is being judged upong, often the adverts take longer to render so you will get spinning in the browser but all the content loads before adverts and 90% of the JS renders asynchronously i.e. the page loads before the javascript and heavy stuff stuff loads.

So whilst I don't doubt it is loading slowly for you, I need to understand what you mean by slow and what device you are using for the metrics so I can figure this out?

For me the site loads as fast as any other site and i notice no latency unless we are under extreme load (i.e. when we have 400+ concurrent people online)

Android - samsung galaxy tab or s6 phone. Windows pc.

It is by far the slowest web site I use whether it be locally or overseas. I am in london atm and funny, it does not seem much slower, it at all than when i am in Sydney

Cheers

Android - samsung galaxy tab or s6 phone. Windows pc.

It is by far the slowest web site I use whether it be locally or overseas. I am in london atm and funny, it does not seem much slower, it at all than when i am in Sydney

Cheers
What are you gauging slowness on exactly?

Is it because the ads load last?

They load asynchronously so the page may seem as though it's still loading when in fact it's just pulling that content.
Or are you gushing time from when you click until anything shows on next page?

We will never be as fast as Facebook etc but our page loads are 0.5 or below for response times. Which granted is slightly slower than enterprise standard and full page render is sub 5 seconds for me

What are you gauging slowness on exactly?

Is it because the ads load last?

They load asynchronously so the page may seem as though it's still loading when in fact it's just pulling that content.
Or are you gushing time from when you click until anything shows on next page?

We will never be as fast as Facebook etc but our page loads are 0.5 or below for response times. Which granted is slightly slower than enterprise standard and full page render is sub 5 seconds for me

I am basing the slowness on the time it takes after I press enter to get into a thread or add a comment. I am not judging about the extra key stroke in getting rid of the ads that no one reads. It is slower again around game time.
I dont use facebook etc, so am judging it on other similar glbal forums.

Cheers

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10