News: Penn backs Delmege selling out of Eagles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
[quote author=SeaEagleRock8 link=topic=185968.msg306589#msg306589 date=1290058723]
The change in ownership is huge news. Fresh input from another entity, and an end to the boardroom loggerheads,
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So you are sure about that are you or making assumptions, how do you know they are buddies.....Didnt read that in any article on the chage of ownership

Post  automatically merged: [time]1290066765[/time]

So you are sure about that are you or making assumptions, how do you know they are buddies.....Didnt read that in any article on the chage of ownership 

Post  automatically merged: [time]1290066802[/time]

Double post this computer stuff kills me...sorry

I'm so sick of hearing about the $15m injection rubbish.  Has anyone seen the receipts?  Does it not occur to people Delmege received value for his sponsorship?  Does it not occur to people he has sold the shares he acquired from his so-called injection?  And does it take an economist to work out what it has cost the club because of his ego-driven replacement of Mayer with a cab driver?

Lemmings.

I guess that's the debate Mata.

My theory has always been that The Sea Eagles brand is, and was strong enough to survive regardless of whom was at the helm as CEO and / or owner.

If Max didn't save us, I have no doubts another potential partner would have been brought in.

That being said, Max WAS the one who stood up, and sponsored the Eagles, and really, our fantastic brand gave him absolute recognition and value - and I guess the principle is that I wonder what value you can put on that for his company - Delmege Commercial Real Estate?

I wonder if it were say Coca Cola that sponsored us with the injection of these funds, would we all be hailing them heroes for saving us? Or is it that Max' position that entitles him to kudos, because he, through the media has consistently managed to tell us how much he has outlayed for us?

I certainly don't know how much Peter Holmesacourt and / or Russell Crowe has pumped into Souths. They are far too discreet for that. I certainly don't know how much Scott Penn has pumped into The Eagles. He, too, is far too discreet for that.

For this reason, I think there IS (and this is my opinion guys) an element of ego here with Max, and that is where our brand has somewhat been cheapened by the association (and why I constantly harp that I'd love to see us have a corporate backer).

As for CEO, hopefully this move with Max enables us to find (when and if Lowey has had enough) another CEO who has different attributes. The club obviously required a person with particular skills and specializations, and Lowey has achieved what he was meant to achieve I'm sure.

But, for the sake of "the brand", now is the time to move forward with someone with fresh, innovative ideas. Someone, and I apologize for this analogy, that could sell bibles to hookers in brothels. Someone hopefully with corporate contacts (heck, a lot of us fans could help an applicant out with that - hint, hint !), and hopefully someone who may have an affinity with the player management groups.

Summed up: Max has done a wonderful thing for Manly. His stepping back is another example of this. I give him my utmost thanks. Now though, we need to look and move forward, and become market leaders to survive, thrive and dominate. 

If Max didnt step in when he did, Manly would of folded the next day! So i know myself, as a eagles supporter who has had maroon and white blood running through my veins for 25 years, that i will be forever greatful for everything he has done for the club.

As for mayer getting 3mil for gws, it wouldnt be hard, theyve been in the paper and on the news almost daily!

a poll on the tele website

This poll is closed.
Has Max Delmege made the right decision to leave Manly?
Yes
81.91% (720 votes)
No
18.09% (160 votes)
Total votes: 880

Ryan link said:
I guess that's the debate Mata.

My theory has always been that The Sea Eagles brand is, and was strong enough to survive regardless of whom was at the helm as CEO and / or owner.

If Max didn't save us, I have no doubts another potential partner would have been brought in.

That being said, Max WAS the one who stood up, and sponsored the Eagles, and really, our fantastic brand gave him absolute recognition and value - and I guess the principle is that I wonder what value you can put on that for his company - Delmege Commercial Real Estate?

I wonder if it were say Coca Cola that sponsored us with the injection of these funds, would we all be hailing them heroes for saving us? Or is it that Max' position that entitles him to kudos, because he, through the media has consistently managed to tell us how much he has outlayed for us?

I certainly don't know how much Peter Holmesacourt and / or Russell Crowe has pumped into Souths. They are far too discreet for that. I certainly don't know how much Scott Penn has pumped into The Eagles. He, too, is far too discreet for that.

For this reason, I think there IS (and this is my opinion guys) an element of ego here with Max, and that is where our brand has somewhat been cheapened by the association (and why I constantly harp that I'd love to see us have a corporate backer).

As for CEO, hopefully this move with Max enables us to find (when and if Lowey has had enough) another CEO who has different attributes. The club obviously required a person with particular skills and specializations, and Lowey has achieved what he was meant to achieve I'm sure.

But, for the sake of \"the brand\", now is the time to move forward with someone with fresh, innovative ideas. Someone, and I apologize for this analogy, that could sell bibles to hookers in brothels. Someone hopefully with corporate contacts (heck, a lot of us fans could help an applicant out with that - hint, hint !), and hopefully someone who may have an affinity with the player management groups.

Summed up: Max has done a wonderful thing for Manly. His stepping back is another example of this. I give him my utmost thanks. Now though, we need to look and move forward, and become market leaders to survive, thrive and dominate. 

Very good post Ryan, I agree with most of it and that's a rare thing. Your summation I believe is spot on.

I am reading the same thoughts and I see a long knife in the back for everyone, topped with a feel good last paragraph to cover the tracks. But that is just me I s'pose.

ManlyBacker link said:
I am reading the same thoughts and I see a long knife in the back for everyone, topped with a feel good last paragraph to cover the tracks. But that is just me I s'pose.
  I guess you could say those who live by back stabbing die by back stabbing.

SeaEagleRock8 link said:
The change in ownership is huge news. Fresh input from another entity, and an end to the boardroom loggerheads, should provide an exciting opportunity for a smoother path forward.

By the way, what exactly did Penn say wrong? Was it supposed to be a secret that there has been dysfunction on the board? Most likely his comment about dysfunction was in answer to a fairly obvious question. I don't get it ... but whatever. Hope this hypersensitivity quickly becomes a thing of the past.

Coming from you SER8 this comment surprises me.

It is a well-known fact that there was dysfunction at board level.

It is also a well-known fact that Manly was dead and buried in 2002 but for Max stepping in.

The issue is which facts should Penn highlight when speaking to the media about Max selling out?  How to put all of this to bed?  In highlighting only negative things about Max, Penn only perpetuates the negative - the bad taste - he gives it fresh life.  And this hurts Manly.

Even Ryan, who hates Max' guts, was able to put a four sentence summary together that would have been far less divisive for Manly than Penn's efforts.

Matabele link said:
[quote author=ManlyBacker link=topic=185968.msg306703#msg306703 date=1290129876]
[/quote]
That would clearly make you an expert in this matter. :)

ManlyBacker link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=185968.msg306741#msg306741 date=1290158270]
[quote author=ManlyBacker link=topic=185968.msg306703#msg306703 date=1290129876]
[/quote]
[/quote]  I front-stab.

Post  automatically merged: [time]1290166007[/time]

Rex link said:
[quote author=SeaEagleRock8 link=topic=185968.msg306589#msg306589 date=1290058723]
The change in ownership is huge news. Fresh input from another entity, and an end to the boardroom loggerheads, should provide an exciting opportunity for a smoother path forward.

By the way, what exactly did Penn say wrong? Was it supposed to be a secret that there has been dysfunction on the board? Most likely his comment about dysfunction was in answer to a fairly obvious question. I don't get it ... but whatever. Hope this hypersensitivity quickly becomes a thing of the past.

Coming from you SER8 this comment surprises me.

It is a well-known fact that there was dysfunction at board level.

It is also a well-known fact that Manly was dead and buried in 2002 but for Max stepping in.

The issue is which facts should Penn highlight when speaking to the media about Max selling out?  How to put all of this to bed?  In highlighting only negative things about Max, Penn only perpetuates the negative - the bad taste - he gives it fresh life.  And this hurts Manly.

Even Ryan, who hates Max' guts, was able to put a four sentence summary together that would have been far less divisive for Manly than Penn's efforts.
[/quote]  I don't think Penn went far enough.  Why laud the bloke when he's caused great damage in recent years. 

Matabele link said:
I front-stab.
If the definition of front-stabbing is bitching in forums about others not present in those forums, then yes indeed you do front-stab. :)

Matabele link said:
[quote author=ManlyBacker link=topic=185968.msg306748#msg306748 date=1290163084]
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=185968.msg306741#msg306741 date=1290158270]
[/quote]
[/quote]  I front-stab.
[/quote]

When I read all of the posts that take such lofty positions but with other intent I can't help but think of these words (I'm going to get hit for this but it was the first thing I saw):

So let it be with Max. The noble Silvertail poster
Hath told you Max was ambitious:
If it were so, it was a grievous fault,
And grievously hath Max answer'd it.

You all did love him once, not without cause:
What cause withholds you then, to mourn for him?
O judgment! thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason.

Matabele link said:
I don't think Penn went far enough.  Why laud the bloke when he's caused great damage in recent years. 
You speak with 100% certainty that Max is villain extraordinaire and Penn our lily-white super-hero. 

And with 100% certainty that it is in Manly's best interests to actively use the newspapers to publicise and promote this conclusion so as to do damage to the reputation of the person who it is universally agreed saved Manly from extinction in 2002 and sponsored Manly subsequently when they couldn't find a major sponsor.

Like there is no possibility that you could be mistaken in any way.

Black - White.  Just like in the old cowboys and Indians movies.

It must be an interesting place inside that head of yours.

And I wonder whether potential sponsors would respond positively to this form of gratitude shown to past sponsors?

MB I thought of these words: Alas poor Max, I knew him well :(
Actually I never met him, but I feel I know him to some extent as a public figure and Manly's saviour.  :)
(and don't stop posting after red wine)

Rex, you make a fair point. However my point was simply that Penn's comment was likely in response to the inevitable question, it certainly doesn't appear to have been part of any press release or statement. However you are probably right, he could have said something nice about Max. Maybe he did and it wasn't included in the article?

The bottom line is this:

"The move is likely to rid the club of tension experienced last year with the warring co-owners".

Those aren't Penn's words, they are Kelly Robinson's of the Manly Daily.

No-one who supports the Sea Eagles will ever forget Max's contribution, so good on him. I don't know Max and I don't know Penn, I was very unimpressed with both of them last year. In addition I suspect Max's stepping aside has nothing to do with any wish to save Manly from further disharmony. But I might be wrong about that!

As a general rule I care very little about the feelings of millionaire businessmen. In Max's case I make an exception to some extent, and I certainly don't wish him any harm. But would anyone seriously prefer Penn to be saying (cynically, untruthfully, just to be polite) how much he will miss working closely with Max on the Sea Eagles board? or that it is a big blow to lose Max as a co-owner at this point in time? We all know that marriage had got to the point where one of them had to go for the health of the club.

I don't think Penn went far enough.  Why laud the bloke when he's caused great damage in recent years.  

The ones who laud Delmege know that he was the one that saved the club, there's is no argument about that.

But you fail to acknowledge that it was he that saved us and any argument after that is irrelevant because the club would of been extinct in 2002.

Sure in recent times there's been a very public brawl between the 2 owners and I think most posters know that. But to "piss on Delmege's grave" is a bit strong but coming from someone who is clearly %100 behind the Penn's but is understandable. Are they the angels that caused the club no grief? I think both camps did a lot of damage to the "Manly brand".

You keep telling people not to follow blindly, but from what I can gather from your posts you think Penn's are gods and should not be questioned or criticised.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4