NRL selects Manly's Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran to launch 2012 season

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

swoop

Bencher
Tipping Member
David Riccio
The Sunday Telegraph
February 19, 201212:00AM

THE NRL is confident that having Manly's Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran to launch the 2012 season won't come back to bite the code.

The selection of the Sea Eagles duo to front the season launch is the first sign that David Gallop's sometimes strained relationship with Manly is on the mend.

Cherry-Evans and Foran, two of the most promising players in the game, will officially launch the season on Wednesday night at Rugby League Central in Sydney.

The NRL was left with an embarrassing black eye last year when their "face of the game", Wests Tigers five-eighth Benji Marshall, became embroiled in a late-night incident just 72 hours after declaring the season "open".

That came just two seasons after Manly's Brett Stewart was edited out of television commercial when he was banned after an alcohol-fuelled evening and charged with sexual assault in 2009. He was cleared of all charges.

Gallop and NRL marketing director Paul Kind said there was no cause for concern by continuing to use players to promote the game.

"We are never going to shy away from the fact our players are the stars of the show and that they deserve their place on the stage," Gallop said.

"It's a recognition, too, of Manly's fantastic achievement in winning the competition."

Kind added: "The logical people, or person, to launch a season is our players. They are the reason why the premiership is so successful.

"I understand in the past it has had its complications, but we're looking forward not backwards.

"I don't have any reservation in asking a player to launch the season.

"You look at both players (Cherry-Evans and Foran) and the way they handled their success at Manly last year and into their representative call-ups ... they are two mature guys, who, according to the club, are honoured to be a part of it."

The NRL will also stick with Bon Jovi's popular "our house" advertising campaign for 2012.

However, the decision to choose Cherry-Evans and Foran is an indication that the promotional campaign will focus heavily on the game's next generation of stars.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-selects-manlys-daly-cherry-evans-and-kieran-foran-to-launch-2012-season/story-e6frexnr-122627461558

Excellent decision! Kieran and Daly will do a great job and are outstanding young ambassadors of the game, its a credit to them both for their on-field and off-field attitudes.

They mention Brett and Benji as coming back to bite them, but wasn't Inglis invovled in assaulting his girlfriend when replaced Brett?

I really hope this is not déjà vu. Would be fantastic to see us get off on the right foot with the new commission.

Loving it! Those two boys will do us pround. Feeling great about 2012.

Congrats to both of them.
Hopefully the start of a new era between manly and the NRL board. Im not worried about these two creating some bad headlines they seem pretty mature for there age.

Im pleased for DCE & Foran.

Its hard to withhold commenting on the disgust & contempt I have for other subject matter in that article, though.

Seems as though our relations with Mr Gallop and the NRL have improved considerably since the great cleanout. Perhaps the reasons why we had such a poor relationship have now moved on. Hopefully the dramas transfer onto dogtown.
Great decision Mr Gallop and a fine recognition for Manly's achievements of 2011 and the class of these 2 wonderful players.

Clay said:
Congrats to both of them.
Hopefully the start of a new era between manly and the NRL board. Im not worried about these two creating some bad headlines they seem pretty mature for there age.

Great choice by the NRL.

One thing the last couple of years has proven...it doesn't matter how well behaved you are, there's always a "looney" out there to bring you down!

Hopefully the "season launch jinx" has had its day.

Going by previous seasons, who will be the first of these 2 to be in trouble and what will they do?

Garts said:
Going by previous seasons, who will be the first of these 2 to be in trouble and what will they do?

Maybe they could have a drunken punch up over a $40 under age hooker.

Congrats to Foran & Cherry-Evans, well deserved after their fantastic 2011 achievements!

BAD NEWS

This will surely lead to fights, public urination and fingering slappers. Call it off. Call it off!

Is there any official news on them re-signing yet? or have a missed something after DCE's facebook post.

This is great. We have 2 young guns in the halves and they deserve this kind of accolade. I hope they stay with Manly for life.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8