OLD THREAD: Watmough lost his licence on 12/2/2011 for doing 133km in an 80km zone.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Re: Anthony Watmough loses licence after clocking 133km in an 80km zone.

Maybe I should not have made a joke about it, I agree speeding is a significant safety issue, especially for inexperienced drivers.

Maybe my reaction was caused by thinking, 'Phew, is that all he's done this time' ... ! ! !!

I get it was wrong and get why it is published. Other stories of drivers being done at that speed are as well, although Choc gets a bit more coverage as expected due to his profile.  I just wont join the que of people that are outraged and making lots of noise about it.  The same people doing this would have probably seen a similar storey a week back in the paper about Joe Blow and it would not have caused them to even read the article let alone be outraged by the offence. 

Too right!

Post  automatically merged: [time]1297998912[/time]

Fro link said:
[quote author=Fonz link=topic=186481.msg316491#msg316491 date=1297987601]
Ok i'll bite! ;-) Is it on the front page or in the in court section?

Watmough wasn't on the front page of the Tele either.
[/quote]

Sorry Fro. The back page then! ;-)

Inside back actually, his name wasnt mentioned on the back.

it was in an article with Benji Marshal Visiting a school, the small dick comment between the adelaide newsreaders (that ones funny actually), a new program on ONE HD, Mike Hussey commentating the world cup, Dessies 50th, Roosters playing Golf, and something about brandings.

My point is it was hardly a targeted media attack on Manly or even choc.

The online one is more of a worry though

Those "speed kills" television campaigns were obviously very successful.  Most of you seem to accept that driving at 133km/h is dangerous.  I'm going to go out on a potentially unpopular limb and say that I'm not so sure.

We have some of the lowest speed limits in the world.  Sometimes it is quite obvious why (eg. on the M2 where it is 70km/h where a speed camera is and 110km/h going to other way on the exact same stretch of road).  Plenty of people in Germany drive well over 133km/h yet they have lower fatality rates than us (see http://www.monash.edu.au/muarc/reports/papers/fatals.html).

I don't know the exact stretch of road where Choc was speeding, but I do know the road and I would say there are parts of that road where it would be perfectly safe to drive at that speed at that time of night, assuming there was no fog/rain.

It is no excuse for breaking the law of course, and Choc deserves to be punished, but he shouldn't be treated like a serial killer!

On the other hand I'm not going to defend 107km/h in a school zone Shane.  That's just not cool mate.

MadMarcus link said:
Those \"speed kills\" television campaigns were obviously very successful.  Most of you seem to accept that driving at 133km/h is dangerous.  I'm going to go out on a potentially unpopular limb and say that I'm not so sure.

We have some of the lowest speed limits in the world.  Sometimes it is quite obvious why (eg. on the M2 where it is 70km/h where a speed camera is and 110km/h going to other way on the exact same stretch of road).  Plenty of people in Germany drive well over 133km/h yet they have lower fatality rates than us (see http://www.monash.edu.au/muarc/reports/papers/fatals.html).

I don't know the exact stretch of road where Choc was speeding, but I do know the road and I would say there are parts of that road where it would be perfectly safe to drive at that speed at that time of night, assuming there was no fog/rain.

It is no excuse for breaking the law of course, and Choc deserves to be punished, but he shouldn't be treated like a serial killer!

On the other hand I'm not going to defend 107km/h in a school zone Shane.  That's just not cool mate.

I was going to say something similar. The truth is that the capability of cars today is monumental. Drive a 1970 GT Falcon and then drive a 2010 GT Falcon and you will understand what I am saying.

I regularly drive the F3 Freeway and I regularly do 140km/hr. I only do that when it's dry and sparse traffic. My simple rule is never more than 30 over the limit, but that wouldn't have helped Choc.

I agree that speed limits in Australia are ridiculously low. My German son in law was gobsmacked when he first came to this country. The F3 and other freeways are as good as any German Autobarn.

Quality of our roads and standard of many cars, means speed does kill

When we have autobahns here you can compare us to Germany.  Warringah Freeway is predominantly through built up areas. 

Dan link said:

I'd go with the quality of the drivers! Drive time seems to be for answering phone calls, texting, drinking coffee, brushing hair, putting on make-up, doing up a tie, reading a map, a lot of things other than not trying to hit somebody. It is the 'all about me' attitude in every facet of life. **** me, what is 5 minutes if it takes care of yourself and others?

QLD drivers are even worse.

QLD, well I have no idea who is teaching them to drive

And I'll add that the popularity of 4WDs means a lot of cars are heavier and less stable than they used to be.

Dan link said:

Do you think the M7 is substandard and should be 100km/hr and less in parts.

MadMarcus link said:

I'm the first to admit I'm about 5 - 10km above most of the time, and agree on proper freeways, eg. F3, it would be safe enough to drive 140 - 150km.

But the Warringah Freeway is a freeway in name only, 53km over is a bit much even at 2am, as there are many knobs driving on that road, and due to nature of the road many people having to move across multiple lanes.

I would do 100km tops on that bit of road at that time.

I do think there is safe speeding, as much as some don't like me saying so, but it's about calculating what is safe when/where ever you are.

Dan link said:
QLD drivers are even worse.

QLD, well I have no idea who is teaching them to drive

Not nearly as bad as the hat wearing asian women drivers we have in Sydney.

I'm more scared of being run down by all the senior citizens tearing along the footpath in their gophers.
I swear Ballina is gopher capitol of Australia.

I can't stand those Icelandic drivers, they're hopeless.

Anyone whingeing that Watmough being caught 53k above the speed limit is not newsworthy is living somewhere other than planet Earth.  The leader of the opposition can't even wear budgie smugglers without hitting the headlines.

Bragging about massive excesses of the speed limit only makes us look like real dipsticks.

Autobahns,high powered cars,this,that......it doesn't matter!He was 53 km/h over the legal speed limit (read-LEGAL speed limit).It is newsworthy,as knobs like this (whether they're footy players or not) should be named and shamed.I'm all for these "hard done by" under 18s who speed and get caught (or worse-kill people) being named and shamed too.We always see the victims names-never the wankers who do it!!

Brookie4eva link said:
But the Warringah Freeway is a freeway in name only, 53km over is a bit much even at 2am, as there are many knobs driving on that road, and due to nature of the road many people having to move across multiple lanes.

I would do 100km tops on that bit of road at that time.

I think you are thinking of Warringah Road.

This is the Warringah Freeway.

016.jpg

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8