Other Games [Round 19, 2022]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
From another forum - might only be hearsay & can't be confirmed

"Can't say but I have been told by someone who referees in one of country group stages that NRL referees are encouraged to make decisions which maximise the entertainment of the game. For example the try was scored with 78.32 on the clock. The kicker is allowed 90 seconds to take the shot for goal. The kick off should never have taken place as the Douhei let the clock wind down to 0.00 before taking the kick. The timekeeper wound it back to 0.01 seconds which should never have happened."

"No doubt this was instructed to give the Cowboys one last shot, in the hope of a grandstand finish. So whilst I couldn't say referees are instructed to ensure a team wins, despite many games appearing that way. Games are definitely ruled on in a way to ensure close finishes."
I've always thought this myself, the Parra and Cowboys games are glaring examples of this.

Official response from Annesley

Ok for the captains challenge.

Mistake by Klein to give penalty in bunker.

What a joke.

Klein will be rewarded with the Manly Roosters match as the Roosters need help well before the full time hooter.

Last edited:
That game vs Newcastle a couple of years ago when Bradman Best deliberately took out Garrick after he put a kick through right on the buzzer - the game that AFB called the ref 'a retread' in - I can't recall if the captain's challenge existed then (I think it did?) but I certainly don't recall us being given the opportunity to use it after the siren to review that incident.

— Harrigan: The referee in a league of his own by Bill Harrigan Harrigan: The referee in a league of his own

“When Super League unveiled the video replay to adjudicate on suspect tries in 1997, there was a mixed reaction to its introduction.

Some supporters applauded it as a massive breakthrough because they figured it would signal the end of tries being wrongly awarded because a touchie or referee had stuffed up.

On the flipside, however, the traditionalists saw it as yet another modern-day intrusion on their grand old game. They feared the replay system would lead to unwelcome breaks in play as the video referee viewed the vision from a number of angles, which would penalise the team that had the roll on.

In the inaugural year of Rugby League’s technological age I was considered a rebel because I seldom went to the video referee. A graduate of the old school, I was still happy to live and die by my own decisions and only use the video when I had doubt.

John Ribot, the boss of Super League, had other ideas and called me into his office for a chat. During our meeting he made it crystal clear that he was concerned at my failure to make full use of the available technology.

After hearing his gripe I explained that I didn’t know we were obliged to use the video referee.

‘My understanding,’ I said, ‘was when in doubt, yell out to the man upstairs’ and I did when I had doubt about the decision.

I guess Ribot appreciated there was no point telling me bulldust because he took time out to explain the facts of life—and rule number one was that the video replay was like a television commercial during a game.

When there was doubt surrounding a try, going to the video ref meant everyone’s eyes honed in on the big screen at the ground, waiting for Big Brother to press the green button for a ‘TRY’ or the red for ‘NO TRY’.

Sony Playstation had bought the rights to sponsor the video referee, which guaranteed them a captivated audience for anywhere between thirty seconds to two minutes. The message was loud and clear: the video referee was all about business and sport.

I took the tip and, in my next match, I ensured our sponsor was well looked after by going to it on five occasions. I drove poor old video ref John Gocher crazy—at one stage, with a huge smile on my face,

I referred a try to John even though there was nothing wrong with it. When John asked what could possibly have been wrong with that one, I said there could’ve been a problem with an obstruction during the lead-up to the four-pointer.

The replay showed the try scorer went under the posts from five metres out without a hand being laid on him. Watching it on the screen was embarrassing, but I don’t think there was any problem about oversaturation because I didn’t hear a peep of complaint from Ribot about that effort.

While Super League is long gone, the pressure to look after the sponsors associated with the video referee remains.”

2512E162-630F-4390-B817-2337D004C20B.jpeg

Why is it always the close games are the ones with the most controversy, in regards to the way ref's conduct the game. It's like the ref's get swept up in the moment, with the home fans baying for a penalty, and you just know that a team that doesn't deserve to lose gets dudded again with a howler of a decision in the last 5 min. And the fans scratch their heads and say the game's changed so much to what it used to be.
That's exactly what happened to us in round 11 against Doesn'tmatta.
Why will the NRL allow coaches, players, officials and betting agencies to be interviewed by the media but not referees? A ref is, after all, the most influential person in every RL match. If anyone knows why a team won or lost it is the ref.
Great. He'll be well rested in time to return against us.

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10
10 5 5 -56 10