POLL: When has Des 2.0 failed as our coach?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

What is the failure point for Des 2.0 as coach?

• 0 wins from first 6 games

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • 0 wins from first 10 games

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • Manly's first ever Wooden Spoon confirmed

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • No top-8 in 2021

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • No Top-8 in 2021 or 2022

Votes: 14 19.2%
  • Never because he is a Manly legend

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Goooone by now...

Votes: 13 17.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

frank stokes

I discriminate indiscriminately
Geoff Toovey was sacked with a 60% win record because its "a results driven business"

Trent Barrett made finals once but was called "useless", a "sook", a "goose", "the players mate" and whatever else

Des has won 1 from our last 15 games but is a "club legend", has "too many injuries", and sacking him will "not make a difference" to our situation (this last one does make me question what we are paying a coach for)

We are told there are performance clauses in the new contract so I am interested what the majority of posters on ST consider to be an actual point-of-failure for Des 2.0 as the Manly coach?

If we win our first spoon he can **** right off, Manly legend or not.
I have a lot of respect For Des and the great contribution he has made to our Legendary club
and we should always be grateful to him for that

Every ones peak comes to an end and If he does not have what it takes any more
He will get a lot respect from every one if he gracefully resigns than keep taking our club down to Mediocre levels breaking records of heavy loses

Note ... If Des Does the Spoon on us he will not only be taken out of our Proud History books
He will be driven out of the Manly area and back to the mountains where he came from

Is the club trying to re-sign him?

Sadly i think Des is stuck in his ways and hasnt adapted.

Its clear from his recruitment of Foran who was great 10 years ago but cant run much anymore..

You Cant have halves that cant run in these days. especially with the game speeding up.

First spoon or no top 8 2021-2022 for mine.

I think 2022 is looking like a big year if we recruit smart enough (especially if Fainu returns and Davey). If we don't make the top 8 at all in 2022, that's an automatic goodbye to Des (and hope it is a respectful send off as well). Top 4-6 target for 2022

2021 isn't shaping well, but I still hope we can turn it around and go for top 8, despite looking less and less likely with an unlucky and poor start to the season.

I think there are still enough factors at current (no trbo, no fainu, no davey, off-contract, stale and expendable depth/centres/second-row stocks) to warrant missing the 8 this year, which sucks to say and accept. Never accept mediocrity, I know, but I think that a pass mark for just this year - if Fainu doesn't return - is that they at least return to some form by midseason and try their absolute hardest to sneak in to the 8.

If we fold completely and are battling for the spoon with the dogs in rd 25 I'd be tempted to let go of Des but still think it is a little panicky to do that w/ 2022 looming as a good year.

I hate these rules big time, but I hate our performances more.

To be fair to Dessie, that 28% win record since the new rules coincides with about the same number of games without Tom ... BUT .. Dessie has known since the Brett Stewart days, and for at least 3 years of the Tom days .. what happens when you don't have a more than average fullback replacement in the 30 ... and is guilty of doing nothing about it ..

To be fair to Dessie, that 28% win record since the new rules coincides with about the same number of games without Tom ... BUT .. Dessie has known since the Brett Stewart days, and for at least 3 years of the Tom days .. what happens when you don't have a more than average fullback replacement in the 30 ... and is guilty of doing nothing about it ..

Every side needs a 1/7 in waiting in their top 30 and should have 2 x 9’s with the second on the bench.

Obviously the back ups can’t be superstars due to the cap but at least reliable fill ins.

We have Cust as a 7

Neville nobody as 9

And a couple of young guys that the coach isn’t prepared to give a go to at fullback.

Very bad roster management.

Some more fun facts ... and an unwanted record for Dessie ...

If we go 0 - 4 this weekend ... that will equal, the 7 wins from 24 games that resulted in us coming 15th with a win percentage of just 29% in 2018 ....

Toovs is a club legend and was punted, so I say sack him now, Trent Barret had excuses he had **** playing roster and plastic chairs and he got sacked.

Time is now before it gets too late in season.

F waiting for a spoon who have we become Parra? He needs to go now

Take off your Manly coloured glasses and look at it from an unbiased view point.

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8