Pre-Game Raiders v Manly [Round 23, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

18 19
Suncorp Stadium
20 Aug 2021 06:00 PM

Team Lists

From my reading of it if we were in danger of dropping out of say 5th-6th he could be risked I say round 25.

But at worst we lose all 3 and drop to 6th.

I think we win 2 and get 5th place.
Well it‘s pretty shattering for Tom, I like many believe he was right in the hunt for the DM, so that’s pretty disappointing.

Like you say we are in no danger of finishing worse than 6th in any case, but here is the big one for me, I feel we will continue winning, raiders will be our biggest challenge, I think we can and should still focus on a top 4 finish, it’s week by week now and it’s very doable, we have grown a lot as team and put 50 on the cows without Tommy, I feel the boys will want to prove it to themselves as well as do it for Tom, Des and the team as a whole.

I’m also not 100% convinced of the extent of his injury just yet and how long he’ll be out, I’m sure it will all be kept pretty close in house, so only time will tell when we get Tommy back.

I can’t believe that cat Sivo gets away with a fine only, if the shoe was on the other foot he would of been rolling round on the ground holding his face like he just been hit by a semi. It was pretty deliberate and obviously with force, given the extent of the injury, I’m filthy at Sivo and disappointed with the MRC, so much for protecting the head of players, makes a complete joke out of what has transpired to date this season with regard to auspices of protecting the players heads.

Finally heal Tommy, we all wish you a quick recovery and look forward to you coming back and tearing the finals to pieces.

Last edited:
Add Morris x 2, Collins, Crichton and Ikavalu. They will be without 70% of their salary cap till Crichton comes back. The fact they are in the top 4 is mind boggling.
Really?
JWH
StickyA
Tedesco
Radley
Chricton (until last week)
Tupou
Manu
Walker
Liu
Butcher
Verrils (premiership winning nine)
Tuipunua

Most clubs would pay BIG dollars to have those players in their run on side.
If anything it further highlights the fact they are such a rorting football club. Foxsports commentary cartel is full of ex Rorters. It has taken injuries to the following players to bring them back to the field. Boo hoo.
Keary
Morris
Morris
Friend
Cordner
Suali
Billy Smith
Collins
Ikavalu

Raiders have Tom Starling out which is as big an out for them.. he destroyed us last time we played.

Assuming turbo is out and we don't go crazy with team line up , with toff coming back and both dce and foz playing we still should have enough to beat the raiders.

Manly by 7 at this stage.
Yes turbo is a big out but we still should be able to cover it

My guess is that the backline will look like this:

With Parker:

1 Garrick
2 Saab
3 Harper
4 Suli
5 Parker

Without Parker
1 Garrick
2 Saab
3 Harper
4 Suli
5 Tuipulotu

Depends how Des sees Funa fitting in at wing.

No Parker and Turbo means Des will put Garrick to fullback and bring Walker in to replace Parker in the centre and Suli to replace Garrick on the wing. Neither great defenders.
Wi be tough.

For this game, a bit of an unpopular opinion, but I would have Walker at fullback.
1. Walker
2. Saab
3. Suli
4. Harper
5. Garrick

Hate us making like 6 different changes for only one or two players being out. Ruins combinations, and defensively we really don't need that. And Garrick is a bit overrated AS A FULLBACK. AS A FULLBACK. He had one amazing game against cowboys, but raiders and dragons game, I thought he looked quite lost in our set plays, some ordinary passing and just not as strong as what we need from the person roaming around the field. It's best for him to stay on the wing and keep his confidence and form there. Walker has done really well at 14 , he's attributed some great ball-playing skills and we know how strong of a ball runner he is. He's pretty much played as a second fullback in the team already with how he roams around the field and brings a new dynamic in attack. It's nothing different from what he's doing now but he's gotta be confident under the high ball, strong kick returns, and good defensive positioning. That's all. I trust him for a game or two back there. Much better than a whole backline reshuffling and defensive edge combinations being ruined and targeted all game.

Starling is a big out for them. There's probably a chance Croker misses too after he failed his HIA. No CHN clearly, but he has been coming off bench anyway.CNK rumoured to be back next week.

We'll be missing Scorpio and Paseka is still out, but we get Sippers back.
I’d be happy with an under done Klokstand, compared to Raparna the banana. Playing good footy.

Kick early turn there pack around mobility not there strength.
Also Klockstand back at 1, after a long lay-off, those tactics Des used last week, and completed beautifully by DCE and Croker by booting it up the end of the field on the 3rd, should tire old mate out pretty quickly.

Last time we played the Raiders there short kicking game was very good repeat sets galore and attacked up the middle, Garrick probably or best option at fullback,Suli centre and funa to the wing, Siff back this week for Siro or Delux(Siro for me) least disruption to the team

Also Klockstand back at 1, after a long lay-off, those tactics Des used last week, and completed beautifully by DCE and Croker by booting it up the end of the field on the 3rd, should tire old mate out pretty quickly.
Agree there pack not overly fit. Turn them around, need to be disciplined no errors or 6 agains, schuey needs to be better in this area.

Yes, Been following this wonderful club since at least 1975 when I saw posters of Manly all over a cousins bedroom walls ! Give Jorge a few more games before he moves on, has been a great servant.
Def give him and sone of the others a run v dogs. Rest sone key players for that one I reckon maybe cust in for Foz, Tuipolotu for one of the outside backs too. We’re too light in the forwards but would be good to limit Marty’s minutes. The timing of sone of these injuries is not the worst given we have 5 or 6 locked up now. Just wish they were one week later. Raiders will be desperate but that doesn’t always work in their favour.

Didn "t start off that badly against the Raiders previous clash , scored i st then had a disallowed try [ so could have led by 10 or 12 points ] , then fell into a hole literally , starved of possession and riddled with errors . Came back at the end but not enough of course . Have to match the Raiders pack , going to miss Tom invariably but D C E and Schuster were not there last time , so should provide some improved attack from that match . Garrick at one , Suli at centre , who to cover wing , maybe Funa [ but are koula and Tippy toes also in the squad group at present ? ] Sipley back, thought that De Luis did well against the Eels but could be Siro again on the bench to cover the middle . Walker again in his versatile and lively 14 role .

Team against the faiders.

Walker
Garrick
Suli
Harper
Saab
Foz
DCE
Taupau
Croker
Toffsip
Olaka
Shoe
Jurbo

Lawton
Aloiai
Siro
KDL

When is Paseka back?

Big difference between the last time we met is Turbo. DCE also didn't play that game so really if we play with the same attitude and want to compete another 50 isn't out of the question.
If we put 50 on Canberra I’ll be stunned. This will be tight. I hope I’m wrong.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8