Post-Game Discussion Roosters v Manly [Round 2, 2022]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Roosters
Vs
Sea Eagles
26 SCG
18 Mar 2022 20:05
80th minute

Match Stats

We’ve got plenty of good players and a good coach but football is about attitude. It’s like mentally, they haven’t been switched on the first 2 games?
Last season it took 4 straight, poor performances until they lucked out against a AFB less Warriors team. Then Tom came back and everything clicked.
I don’t know what’s wrong with them at the moment? Hopefully, whatever it is, they snap out if it soon.

I think the club should reimburse us for our streaming cost. I wonder how many people will turn up next weeks after that performance.
Next week should answer a lot of questions on where we are heading in 22. Against the Bulldogs at our new look Brookvale oval. Des as per usual, will want to give this side a final chance to atone, the bounce back factor will be huge for us next week. Tommy looked out of sorts, but hard to shine when it's a dogs breakfast up front.

We’ve got plenty of good players and a good coach but football is about attitude. It’s like mentally, they haven’t been switched on the first 2 games?
Last season it took 4 straight, poor performances until they lucked out against a AFB less Warriors team. Then Tom came back and everything clicked.
I don’t know what’s wrong with them at the moment? Hopefully, whatever it is, they snap out if it soon.
Agree, that's two passive starts, is it something to do with the pre-game warm up and drills before kick off. They looked tense in the sheds before running out. You gotta be switched on and motivated from the start, if not, you pay the price.

DCE defence is terrible. Gets caught watching the ball and leaves his man to beat him untouched on the outside.
Only thing worse than our defence is the attack. Walker’s the only player who can hold his head up high, but he doesn’t have stamina or defence to start at hooker.

Paseka has some pretty bad drop balls, but, that aside... I honestly thought he was one of our best.

I see some people here are giving him a pasting for tonight's performance and I don't see why. Can someone please explain that to me?

For me he was easily our best forward apart from Olakau'atu and Walker.

Bit of an optimistic take here:

But look at it like this, when we saw our draw, we knew these first two games were going to be tough. These are the two comp favorites. And we know we are perennially slow starters. We would've liked to at least win one or have made them a contest, but we got blown out in both. We are still behind from being actual contenders, let's wear the fact we are flat-track bullies for now. But let's now move past this and start beating up on these lower teams (i know we are last) as we have a pretty favorable draw till origin comes. I'm still confident by the end of round 10, we will be 7-3 or 6-4 at worst and be firmly entrenched into the 8. We gotta wear this flat-track bully nametag and take advantage of this upcoming soft draw and build confidence back in the team, get combos flowing again, and see who fits best for our strongest side. Bear in mind, Oshay and Schuster will bring a lot back. We will slowly start clicking week by week and by round 11, we can have a trajectory update on how we are against the top teams again when we play Parra and Melbourne back to back.

It's a long season, and we gotta grind it out.

Correct calls re DCE defense.. He watches passively, backs away and watches what unfolds - nightmare for those outside him. Inexplicable and it happened last week too. Doesn't commit to anyone. Without a hooker that asks questions of the defence (yes he did run a couple of times which was a nice change) and halves that do nothing more than shovel the ball to the next guy to get smashed we are screwed. No matter how optimistic u are we are clueless in attack. Tonite we were camped up their end most of the 2nd half and still offered nothing. It's a rinse repeat of early last year except now we have Turbo fit. What tf did we train for pre season - I'm staggered how ordinary a classy list can play. Aggression, desire and confidence urgently required.

Just concerned about how bad our red zone attack was. We had so much territory in that second half and only came out with one try. Chez went back to early last year antics of just running around with no direction and just trying too hard. He really only is a front-foot player. And it wasn't like Chooks had good D, we just looked so predictable and clunky. A shadow of our attack from last year. Seemed like our options were: give turbo ball see what he can do, give smole ball see what he can do, a slow hitup, premature kick from DCE. We are so rusty but it will all come back to us soon, I'm sure of it.

Need to take advantage of our upcoming soft draw, and get these combinations working again, get some confidence back in our middles and bring back good energy into the team.

Rubbish press conference. No passion nor accountability. Glad I'm paying to watch in May against Tigers when we'll either be clicking or just enjoying the warm pies and beers from the front row seats. Any regs here feel free to say hello. I'll be hydrating at the club prior. :p

Last edited:
From Post #1

FULL TIME SCORE

Roosters: 26
Manly: 12

276167449_10159678659770993_6766091756566722329_n.jpg

Pic: Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Facebook Page

Team Victory Song:

c620536e7a3a92d0858c6791b2d697cf.gif

Pressers:

Post Match Interviews: TBA

Match Report:

Match Highlights:

Extended Match Highlights: TBA

Full Match Replay Link: TBA

Manly Tries:

Game Pics & Video Clips:

Press Print & Video Articles:
Razzle dazzle Roosters leave Sea Eagles in a hole

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marty needs to go this year off possible, he was a disgrace last night
Playing injured I strongly suspect, his back injury probably.
He (with Jake) is usually one of the first to smash the opposition bringing the ball back from kickoff, he didn't do that last night, he was coming in 2nd or third man only. His first hitup he suddenly threw a (shocking) pass before the line which cost us early field position. Chooks first try a minute later, our forwards were not screaming across to cover the inside ball, Marty was one who was absent.

Worse - 5 minutes in, from a tap penalty - DCE has to take the hit up!!! That was bizarre, and not saying that was necessarily Marty's fault but showed we were seriously missing something up front.

I think this a balanced summary - copied from the Facebook Supporters Group

"Manly’s forward momentum has declined compared to last season and they’re losing the forward battle. Manly look constrained in attack, only gaining a few metres whilst the opposition is making huge gains. As first receiver, by the time Jake gets the ball then looks and passes to a running player, the opposition is already in their face."

"Is Jake being properly utilised? Jake’s defence is top notch solid averaging over 45 tackles per game, but to no fault of his, he is stifling Manly’s attack."

"Throughout both games, Manly looked sluggish, going sideways and nowhere. Frustration then creeps in which results in errors and dumb plays. It’s a snow-ball affect. Add to the fact that Turbo is heavily marked and contained, then their’s no-one setting up or scoring tries like our wingers enjoyed last season. It is obvious that Manly are simply playing flat, restricted and predictable footy."

"The opposition teams have used the off-season to study how to shut down Turbo and Manly and we’re seeing it with our own eyes. It’s easy to turnaround and fix with a few tweaks, but they need to start quick, without errors and respect the ball and most importantly eliminate the bottleneck to allow the attacking traffic to flow. I love Jake as a player, but he’s a better player when he’s running straight and hard into the opponent’s gaps."

"Same goes with Croker. How refreshing was it to see him dart out the way he did and having the Roosters back pedalling? But unfortunately all that good work is then undone as they fall back to the same restricted and predictable pattern again in the next few plays."

"Mr fix it man “Walker” injects some energy and spark to the team and improves the shape and direction adding another dimension to Manly’s attack. His speed and sharpness as first receiver has the opposition scrambling in defence, but all that is too late as the damage was done in the first 20 minutes. If Manly can get to a quick start, then Walker being subbed in later compliments the team."

"Many supporters are complaining about the right edge as cracks are starting to form. Well, if Manly can increase their intensity and line speed to win the forward battle, then these weaknesses would not be exposed. The big boppers like Paseka and Taupau need to bend the line and in attack they need to be a handful to contain, just like Mole who pushes hard and has players hanging off him whilst he is making metres."

"I enjoyed seeing Davey getting a run. He didn’t look out of place. A welcoming addition to the team. Des will have to make some tough roster decisions in the next few weeks with the addition of Aloia and let’s not forget Sipley. So rotating and resting forwards each week may be a good option."

"History does repeat itself and we find ourselves in the same predicament as last year. If we keep doing more of the same, we will continue to get the same result. Losing is a habit. I feel next week’s game against the Bulldogs will be the springboard needed to lift. It’s time to break that habit and show the NRL we are contenders for the NRL premiership. Go Manly!"

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8