Rumour - Ballin to Cows

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
ManlyBacker said:
That's not a bad option but can he make the tackles that count? Matty is an unsung hero in the squad imo and am yet to be convinced we have the right type of replacement.

I agree with you. Would much prefer Ballin to remain.

Don't forget MB Fitness. I'm sure that makes him some nice money on the side and he would have to start over again if he moved somewhere else.

My thoughts exactly mmmdl. If he's happy with us he'll stay. Why would he uproot and go to the end of the earth? Doesn't make any sense.

mmmdl said:
Don't forget MB Fitness. I'm sure that makes him some nice money on the side and he would have to start over again if he moved somewhere else.

This was covered a few years ago. I like Matty but his use of MB as trademarked by me has always been a touchy point. I outlined my life philosophy on fitness at the time, along the lines of 'every time I feel like exercise I lie down and hope it goes away'. My IP lawyer said we were under different classifications so I had to let it go :)

WAMF said:
bob dylan said:
WAMF said:
I said in another thread that we might struggle to afford him.
He's easily a 400k a season player now.

$400k for a hooker I doubt it unless he is goal kicker.

Offer him $260k max for 3 years, btw he is close to my favorite player.

You are kidding right? 260k would be an insult.
He's a two time premiership winning hooker and would be the 1st choice QLD no.9 if that grub wasn't around.

He is in the second tier of hookers all a light year behind Smith, no one that puts their head in the front row is worth 400k and that includes Smith.

imagine spending that percentage of your cap on a rake, they don't hook, they are extra back rowers. Mind you I see the importance of dummy half every time I see TRex jump in their.

Cambo said:
They have Payne who is very good and that really dark fella segrano I think his name is. He looks really sharp.

That should be corrected. They have Payne WHO USED to be very good. He's like Hindmarsh, living off past glories and is far from being an effective NRL player these days.

I seriously cant see him moving on. If we can get close to other offers I think he would stay. He seems pretty well set up at Manly

I know Matt and his wife Shannon quite well, they are VERY happy at Manly and with the Northern Beaches lifestyle....I imagine it would only be if he got a really crap offer that he'd go...be very surprised to see him move on...I in fact think he's future Captain material!!

It's bad enough when rumours turn out to be wrong, but a couple of days ago Channel Ten sports news led with the story that Mason had signed with the Tigers. It was unequivocal. It was 'fact'. Now it seems like that was just another rumour.
I thought this was the football season, not the silly season!

The Who said:
It's bad enough when rumours turn out to be wrong, but a couple of days ago Channel Ten sports news led with the story that Mason had signed with the Tigers. It was unequivocal. It was 'fact'. Now it seems like that was just another rumour.
I thought this was the football season, not the silly season!

In fairness to Ch10, it appears it was as close to being a done deal as possible til the Tigers got cold feet. It wouldn't have surprised me if they were told as much by Masons manager or even someone from the Tigers. If you get a story like that from a source like that you have to tell it, otherwise someone else will. Its an unfortunate part of todays media that the urgency to be first out trumps facts, but as a consumer we need to take part of the blame for how its developed.

Matty would slot in nicely at the Bronco's. They were filthy that he signed with us in the first place. I think the whole story is a snow job. The Cowboys are hot for Dave Taylor, and if not for Dave's wife, they'd have him already. Still hope for them though. With Dave that is.

Didn't Bennett tell Ballin he wasn't up too NRL, hence why he left the Broncos ? Dave Taylor signed with the Titans earlier in the week

Kiwi Eagle said:
Didn't Bennett tell Ballin he wasn't up too NRL, hence why he left the Broncos ? Dave Taylor signed with the Titans earlier in the week

That's my understanding as well. He wasn't wanted at the Broncos, and considering the situation we were in at the time he signed for us, it doesn't look like too many other clubs were interested as well.

Its a bit funny to think about it, but perhaps the way we were re-built after the Northern Eagles really helped. We had to sign so many guys from the bottom of the barrel, no disrespect but we picked up a lot of guys who were just looking for a chance, not for big dollars. The hunger and determination that these people brought with them really helped build the foundations for our current run of success.

Bennett was very unhappy with Ballin leaving. If the Titans can't convince the auditiors that have been sent in today, then what happens? It's a long way to the start of 2013, and contracts these days are made to be broken it seems. If the Titans can't produce the money to pay Dave, and their bean counters were aware of that when talks were held, then the offer and subsequent contract would be dead in the water. Hello Cowboys.

I am interested to see if the club can still find players like Ballin and Matai post crusher

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4