Sea Eagles Release Watmough, Sign Lyon, Mason, Mateo & Vave

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The two major problems of the 2014 side have been rectified.

We now how some size, and the attitude has been off loaded to Parra.

Good stuff, looks like we have finally got our ducks in a row.

I know Choc likes to play with the media and have fun and play jokes......but isn't this taking it a bit far?

In all seriousness, I think a great result. Choc's not happy, thanks for your service. And Killer re-signed...BRILLIANT!

Crusher_Cleal said:
The mood here is much more accepting that I would have predicted. We just replaced one of the top 5 best NRL forwards of the last decade with a player probably entering his last year of football and another who hasn't been very good in 3 years. And neither are young.

Choc at his best is good, but if he doesn't want to be here is there really any point in prolonging the agony and the disruption ? let's not forget watmough is no spring chicken either and a 3 year contract is a big risk IMO given his blunt force playing style, how long can that body hold out.

Anyway I see Mateo as more of a replacement for Gift, a ball playing fringe forward. The guy has talent in abundance, in the right environment he could be a very canny buy. There's no guarantee we won't get the same inconsistent commitment levels that have dogged his career, but I'm figuring he wants to come back to Sydney for a reason, be it family or the chance of a regular first grade spot in a finals bound team. We've given him an opportunity let's give him the benefit of the doubt that he will repay that faith.

I was really impressed with Nami Lui this year and thought he was the best of our newbies. I think he can fill a fair bit of the hole that Choc will leave. Mason has matured and he was one of Newcastle's better forwards this season. Let's not forget how much experience we have/are losing from our pack now that Kite, Nood, Richie, Rose, King, Gift and now Choc are gone. Experience is a good asset and unfortunately the only way to get it is with time spent in the middle. If we could get 23 year olds with 250 games under their belt then great, let's sign them up. Mason maybe old but he has played at the highest levels and can provide that experience we will desperately need next year. I can't say I would have ever believed that i would have been happy to see Willie in the maroon and white 5 years ago, but given our current circumstance and his new found maturity I think it's a good signing.

Crusher_Cleal said:
You think the opposition is going to fear our forward pack next year with no Stewart or Watmough? I'm greatly concerned.
Stewart has been great for us but injuries in the last 2 years kept him off the field . Choc was also great for us but in 2014 he became a disruptive mind bender and in Mason, Vave, Tetevano and Mateo we have genuine line benders . Don't be so concerned feathered friend these guys are no soft cocks . These guys were signed to fill the void from last years pack

Crusher_Cleal said:
The mood here is much more accepting that I would have predicted. We just replaced one of the top 5 best NRL forwards of the last decade with a player probably entering his last year of football and another who hasn't been very good in 3 years. And neither are young.

There is a lot of difference between Mateo and Mason in regards to the wages Watmough was going to get (next season) and wanted if extended. Watmough was going to be on ridiculous money next season and he wanted at least a 2 year extension on 500K plus a year. The club made the right choice you cannot be paying a 30 plus year old forward with so many miles on the clock the money he wanted also he was becoming quite disruptive.

Mavin said:
Crusher_Cleal said:

There is a lot of difference between Mateo and Mason in regards to wages. Watmough was going to be on ridiculous money next season and he wanted at least a 2 year extension on 500K plus a year. the club made the right choice you cannot be paying forwards with so many miles on the clock the money he wanted also he was becoming quite disruptive.

The funny thing is that earlier in the season he rejected a 2 year extension to his contract because he wanted another year. In other words he wants 4 more years being 2015 + 3 more rather than 2 more. He said Parra would give him that, yet they have now announced he has signed for 3 years from next season, so in other words he got what Manly were offering him, next season plus 2 more.

He really isn't that bright is he?

Crusher_Cleal said:
If the NRL won't register Ferguson, what odds on them Tetevano??

The difference is that Tetavano has never even been charged with anything that has gone to court, let alone convicted of Indecent Assault.

Crusher_Cleal said:
If the NRL won't register Ferguson, what odds on them Tetevano??

I'd say it's a long shot and i think that's why it hasn't been announced. I know others have different feelings but I won't be upset if he isn't registered

Crusher_Cleal said:

Last year Watmough was a cancer and disrespected his teammates, club and fans with his don't want to be here attitude.

Would rather have players that want to play for Manly than Watmough

Parra will go backwards this year without hayne.

In the SMH article on this it also says this

Penn added that he was "very confident" that New Zealand international Steve Matai, who earlier this year sought a release from the club during a season of off-field bickering, would soon also sign a contract extension.

Matai is currently committed until the end of 2015 and Toovey is hopeful the classy centre will remain long-term.

If we pull this off then happy days all round. Snake / Killer / Stevie / Foz / DCE together till 2016 and then by that stage we have the younger talent in outside backs ready to rock.

Mavin said:
I'd say it's a long shot and i think that's why it hasn't been announced.

http://www.silvertails.net/forum/Thread-Promising-trio-added-to-SeaEagles-roster

It got announced in the above thread?

SeaEagle21 said:
Mavin said:
I'd say it's a long shot and i think that's why it hasn't been announced.

http://www.silvertails.net/forum/Thread-Promising-trio-added-to-SeaEagles-roster

It got announced in the above thread?

Cheers I missed that and stand corrected.

I am sad to see Choc go but I think after the last 3 - 6 months it ended up being the only option.

He should have wanted to and therefore been a 1 club man. Unfortunatly the NRL don't support 1 club players very well.

The 3 signings are about as good as we could have hoped given what is available on the market. Mason will be solid but off the field may be worht twice as much. Mateo could be great, Tooves will need to completely change his game plan around him and possibly pair Hodges with him (looking for the offload and squirting through)

Chip and Chase said:
In the SMH article on this it also says this

Penn added that he was "very confident" that New Zealand international Steve Matai, who earlier this year sought a release from the club during a season of off-field bickering, would soon also sign a contract extension.

Matai is currently committed until the end of 2015 and Toovey is hopeful the classy centre will remain long-term.

If we pull this off then happy days all round. Snake / Killer / Stevie / Foz / DCE together till 2016 and then by that stage we have the younger talent in outside backs ready to rock.
There you go feathered friends , A united board brings a united club !!! :)

Fluffy said:
I am sad to see Choc go but I think after the last 3 - 6 months it ended up being the only option.

He should have wanted to and therefore been a 1 club man. Unfortunatly the NRL don't support 1 club players very well.

The 3 signings are about as good as we could have hoped given what is available on the market. Mason will be solid but off the field may be worht twice as much. Mateo could be great, Tooves will need to completely change his game plan around him and possibly pair Hodges with him (looking for the offload and squirting through)
That's good, it is time to change the game plan anyway. The sweeping backline moves with Brett chiming in were a bit predictable at the back end of the season. With the new players we will have more power in the middle and edge of the ruck. No need to dispense with the sweeping wide plays, but it would be good to use them more sparingly.

See you Choc and thanks for the memories.

My heart was always in my throat when you carried the ball but overall a champion player who deserves our best wishes for next years.

He is simply looking after his family and himself.

Good luck (but never against Manly) and so long. I hope you get to play September footy next year if Parramatta get into the eight.

I'm glad to see the back of Choc in the end, which is sad given how much I loved him playing for us over the years. In time I'm sure he will have a lot of regret about how he left, but he burnt his bridge at Manly quite a few months ago now and there was no turning back.

It will be interesting to see how Mason and Mateo go. It wouldn't surprise me to see either of them become firm crowd favourites, but it wouldn't surprise me to see either of them bomb out completely either.

Hopefully at least one of them turns out to be the goods.

When the dust settles and we look back we will be so pleased of the great years Choc gave to our team.

I think this year showed that if a players heart is not in it how their game can suffer. Choc probably had a real strong reason to be p*ssed off and could not let it go. I was so pleased to hear he moved on so some healing can happen.

I hope Snake can renew himself for next season. Rid myself of the bad feelings. Understand you do not have to love everyone but sometimes work with them and show respect.

My admiration for Killer is as high as ever.

Daddycool08 said:
See you Choc and thanks for the memories.

My heart was always in my throat when you carried the ball but overall a champion player who deserves our best wishes for next years.

He is simply looking after his family and himself.

Good luck (but never against Manly) and so long. I hope you get to play September footy next year if Parramatta get into the eight.

Is he actually going to be better off financially at Parramatta? Especially if it is only a 3 year deal? I think his ego got him to the point where there was no turning back... he couldn't swallow his pride and make amends with some of his team mates and Toovey.

Sad to see a Manly junior and life member depart, thanks for blood, sweat & tears poured into Manly over 278 games.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6