Sea Eagles Release Watmough, Sign Lyon, Mason, Mateo & Vave

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Shoe1 said:
Ralphie said:
robbiea said:
I for one ,
Will now be applauding all his F@#%ing knock ons ...............

He'll probably develop beautiful hands all of a sudden knowing our luck.

I will particularly enjoy the knock-ons he does when playing the ball in a rushed fashion. Although unless he does them against us I'll never get to see them.

Breathe ... out.

Shoe1 said:
Does anyone else expect there to be a quote from choc shortly saying "They rushed me out the door and I was still deciding? The press conference took me by surprise"

Mavin said:
The Who said:
Quote from Joe Kelly: I’ve seen Manly as an outlier in terms of its performances given the business side of things.

What's an "outlier"? Is that Souff-speak? Or is it a typo?

Something that lay's outside the main body.

A statistical term for a result that is outside the expected or normal group of results. I guess he means it is strange for a team to go so well when its back office has been in a mess.

Parra for example has been a shambles for years both on AND off the field, so they are not an outlier.

Wow, what an educated bunch we have contributing to this high quality Forum.
I can't wait to use it when describing Manly to non Sea Eagles fans.

I am sad to see Choc leave. He's a local junior, a life member and has been at the club for more than 10 years.

He started out with the Northern Eagles and helped in Manly's resurgence.

He led from the front, didn't take a backward step, always did the hard yards when needed and was there to help out his mates.

Thanks for the great memories.

I am sad Watmough is leaving, I always thought he was Manly through and through for life, and he really did work hard (except for the last game) each and every week to do as much as he could.

But then I think of the way he snubbed Cherry Evans, and I just want him to leave and lose the door quietly.

NYEagle

Well I didn’t believe it but now it has happened I’m not so disappointed.
Kite King Joe Rose Gift and now Choc, gone all gone. The guts of our premiership winning forward packs is no more.
Except for Ballin!
Rebuild is full steam ahead.
Starting to think Manly is like one of those aircraft that can refuel in mid air, and just keep flying on our stellar trajectory without needing time in the hangar.

You have to admit a pretty big day for the club, a life member punted (well leaving of his own accord), a new CEO, with seemingly impeccable credentials, and 3 new signings.

I agree with comments further above, our size up the middle issue looks to have been fixed.

Mateo, fit, and with some commitment could be a great fit where Gifty used to be.

Mason, with what it seems is little off the field baggage, would look to be an excellent signing, yes in his latter (last) year(s) but still with a bit to prove.

Vave and Tetavano (if and when approved) will add more starch.

Jamie Lyon , one of the greatest ever Eagles here until he either retires or heads back to the UK.

It would seem that 2015 is looking a little more promising than it did a week ago, now for that announcement of Zorba's retirement.

I think this is good news.

It is sad to see choc go, he has done alot for our club, but i wish him the best of luck wherever he goes. I hope this new board keeps a good relationship with him as it will keep him from swaying others to leave.

In the end, you can't carry someone with a toxic attitude, it flows onto the whole team.

Im excited about the 3 signings. I think Mason will bring good aggression and experience. Mateo is a solid ball playing forward which Donny and Tooves will develop and Vave has a ton of potential as a hard ball runner.

Like everyone else, I'm sad to see a local junior who's given so much to the club go. What makes me sadder still is that it means all the "I haven't signed anything yet" comments from Choc as our season was falling apart were lies. Part of me was hoping he was going to stay. But clearly he was unhappy, and clearly he was a destabilising force so it's probably best for everyone that he moves on.

One of the saddest days I.M.O. A life member and local junior. Should have been a one club 300 game plus legend. With him & Gift gone our 2011 premiership pack is now gone except Ballin. New signings aren't anywhere near the class we have lost. We won't be a top 4 contender next year unless jake T, Chee Kam & Sao step up exponentially.

Mark from Brisbane said:
You have to admit a pretty big day for the club, a life member punted (well leaving of his own accord), a new CEO, with seemingly impeccable credentials, and 3 new signings.

I agree with comments further above, our size up the middle issue looks to have been fixed.

Mateo, fit, and with some commitment could be a great fit where Gifty used to be.

Mason, with what it seems is little off the field baggage, would look to be an excellent signing, yes in his latter (last) year(s) but still with a bit to prove.

Vave and Tetavano (if and when approved) will add more starch.

Jamie Lyon , one of the greatest ever Eagles here until he either retires or heads back to the UK.

It would seem that 2015 is looking a little more promising than it did a week ago, now for that announcement of Zorba's retirement.

Or his burning at the stake ?

I would prefer to have Glenn and Choc moving into next year, but what can you do. I am very happy with the signing of Joe Kelly from Souths, and I think given the circumstances, we have recruited well to replace two of our legends. I just hope the carnage from the "no offer to gift" stops here. I would hate to lose Foran, Matai, and/or Snake.

I do think we should have just offered Glenn a contract...I prefer cheering on two time premiership winners, rather than a 35 year old mercenary for hire; but I have to try and stay positive, as these things happen in rugby league.

Snake said:
I do think we should have just offered Glenn a contract...I prefer cheering on two time premiership winners, rather than a 35 year old mercenary for hire; but I have to try and stay positive, as these things happen in rugby league.

That's great but where was the money going to come from?

Mavin said:
Snake said:

We just signed a host of players. Mateo wouldn't have come cheap either; plenty of clubs would snap him up if he came cheap. It seems a decision was made to offload Glenn regardless of money IMO. Why? I don't know?! Maybe they feel he is too injury prone, or maybe they want to gradually filter the senior group out of the club over the course of a few seasons, rather than all at once.

Snake said:
Mavin said:
Snake said:

We just signed a host of players. Mateo wouldn't have come cheap either; plenty of clubs would snap him up if he came cheap. It seems a decision was made to offload Glenn regardless of money IMO. Why? I don't know?! Maybe they feel he is too injury prone, or maybe they want to gradually filter the senior group out of the club over the course of a few seasons, rather than all at once.
We only signed these players because Watmough left. These players have nothing to do with G.Stewart. So you would sacrifice all or some of Hiku,Gutherson,Tafau,Buhrer,Symonds,JSL, the Trobojvic brothers (our future) to re sign him? May be if his brother didn't screw evry last dollar out of the club with his last contract (which I don't blame him I would do the same) he could've stayed . Players can't have it both way's want as much money as possible when they sign than sook when there are not enough dollars for there mates or brother in this case.

Sad to see Choc leave. He did mess things up for himself though.

Moving forward. Looking forward to our new signings in the Maroon and White.

If Mateo gets to his best, Snake may score a lot of tries. He has an amazing off load.

I too am sad about Choc, being a local junior and life member. I also remember his unwavering solidarity during De$gate. Always thought he was "Manly" through and through and would see out his career here. It is disappointing he hasn't explained why he wanted to go and has only lied about going.

Hopefully his release has removed all the disharmony and with the exciting new signings today its now onwards and upwards.

Next some re-signings/contract extensions will top it off superbly!

Snake said:
Mavin said:
Snake said:

Mateo still had two years to run on his warriors contract so I and sure you will find that they are paying some of his contract money for the next two years to play for us.

Wondering based of Penns video what the Brookie plans are? I can see them making a firm push into the Central Coast and maybe splitting games but also doing the same with the Mariners.

dowdz said:
Sad to see Choc leave. He did mess things up for himself though.

Moving forward. Looking forward to our new signings in the Maroon and White.

If Mateo gets to his best, Snake may score a lot of tries. He has an amazing off load.
You have made a good point there with Mateo the Magician .
Mateo will be to the Snake what Cliffy was to the Beaver

Look i hate the salary cap, given what this group achieved in last 10 years seems quite unfair. To see a local junior gone hurts but he choose his path. It was always going to be a hard decision with dce and foz up for contract.
Choc has stuck by the club for quite a while with money, what is done is done. No doubt he was owed given the pay cuts he has taken over the years.
That said to pick up a ex test, state of origin and premiership winner and one of best off loaders in modern game then i would take it. It will certainly change our game plan, having feleti on edges and mason up middle will help. Ferris, tommy s played great this year. I have big reservations on horo looking forward, if we are to challenge again we need some juniors to step up that being jake t, sao and chee kam. Simply forwards such as horo and starling won't do.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7