Sea Eagles set to take more NRL matches away from Brookvale

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Ok - Take round 2 for instance (of the link I sent you) - Roosters host the Dogs. Attendance - 13505 Members - 14688.
So your saying that there are members included in the attendance that aren't included in the members?

What is the figure of ANZ or SCG Trust Gold members anyway? Any idea? I looked them up but could only find costs - the ANZ yearly membership costs $1700 and the SCG Trust Gold is $10k... wouldn't expect too many?
Check their Annual Reports for member numbers.

The 10k figure was only for new members. A lot of the old codgers signed up before the new SFS was built, so their memberships would be much less.
They also were given the option of buying Olympic Stadium Memberships at a discount when that Stadium was built.

The 2k at the ANZ for a year of sport is cheap. Great seats and service and if you go to a GF and an SOO it would cost about $700 just for that.:cool:

I couldn't find anything recent - but 2015 was up to approx 16k gold memberships alone - not including the SCG which I assume would have quite a few also.

Cant imagine the numbers have dropped off that dramatically and if thats the case - can't see them being included in attendance which can be as low as 10k at Roosters games.
I can't find the article link, but this was detailed in it for certain.

I'm a Gold Member but haven't paid my annual fee for a few years, so that may explain the discrepancy.

Ultimately the crowd figure at other grounds do not help Manly entice their own supporters to part with their monies :shake:

Yeah - got a little off track but at the end of the day - if Manly supporters showed up to games more often - the home games wouldn't be going anywhere.
Shame - but it is a business at the end of the day.
The broadcasters, Foxtel in particular, have really disincentivized attendances.

On the other hand, their increased broadcast deal does return more monies to the players and Clubs :)

I still feel that killing off the LC was a mistake by the Penns. :confused:

Having a thriving Club for away games, with injured player attendances, raffles for home game tickets etc, would have excited the locals. Some would have signed up as members for the home games too :nerd:

The Sea Eagles are only able to move further games away from Brookvale with the consent of the Football club. The Sea Eagles would have to put forward a proposal to take any more games other than the two that they are currently permitted under the current constitution of the club. Members like myself would have to vote on a proposal for this to happen.

It is well known that for the owners to make a profit on a home game we need to get in over 12K per game. We have only gone over that 2 times this season at home.

It is a major concern that the owners say that they are losing money on Brookvale and it goes back to the elephant in the room, will Brookvale be ever upgraded? I think we need to know one way or another soon because it is not sustainable for the club to carry on at Brookvale in the longer term without knowing. We have had 20 years of chat about the ground and we have money committed for any upgrade but not a thing has happened since Joe Kelly our previous CEO promised that the ground would be redone.

I love our home and I would hate to see us not playing there. If the club is to be viable and we are able to compete with the other clubs we need a home ground that not only makes a profit but is there in the long term. My fear is the NRL will make the decision for us if we do not see progress within the next 5 years.

Now that the state government has dropped the forced council amalgamation which affected both Manly and Warringah councils, can we please get some clarity about, will the ground be upgraded? and most importantly when?

Don't drink the cool aid.

It is not well know what makes a "profit" from a game.

if we need 12K people at minimum $25 per ticket (note grandstand seats are more than twice this) that is 300K minimum from ticket sales to make a "profit". Then add corporate box income, advertising income to that and surely we are well over 400K for just 1 game.

So do you really believe we spend more than 400K to hire security guards, chill some pies and heat some beer?

There is a lot more than just paying security and and those manning the canteens and bars. There is ground staff, the cleaners who come in after the game, the cost of electricity which is more for a night game with the 4 light towers. And that's probably just the tip of the iceberg.

The cost of staging an NRL game at a suburban ground would be more than most will ever know. While I don't always agree with it (e.g. playing a 'home' game against Brisbane in Brisbane), I can understand the financial incentive behind taking games elsewhere. And with the Penn's putting their own money into the club, any time they can actually make money rather than lose money, they are going to jump at it.

Its why unless Brookvale suddenly gets packed to the rafters for each home game or it gets the upgrades/rebuild it badly needs, within 5-10 years I can sadly see us playing most of our home games out of ANZ or the SFS.

Last edited:
What a great point Fluffy - Its a major conspiracy. Manly/Penns have everyone fooled.

You obviously know the ins and outs of running a footy stadium. Please enlighten the rest of us what it costs to run a footy stadium? I can't wait to hear the ins and outs of how we are being duped by the owners who are making a loss to keep the team I support alive.....Im glad someone like you is in the know.

Well how do you think they make a loss?

The income for a game to "break even" is over 400K where does all that go?

Only thing i can think of is the gravy train

Brooky as ground is slowly being killed off. The powers that be are arranging it. There have been upgrade discussions on Brooky since 1990. They have never happened, in fact they never get past the 'argument stage'. In that same time, hundreds of millions have been spent on Wollongong, Gosford, Parramatta, SCG, Homebush and many other other grounds. Never Brookvale.
Stop waiting for it. It aint gonna happen.
Having money pledged is one thing . . . getting the council, the residents, the State Govt, the NRL to all agree is another.
WHY ? I'm sure the reasons are many and complex. But whatever they are, they have been overcome for other venues. But never Brookvale.

This home attendance info is up until May 31. I assume the rest of the season hasn't changed dramatically.

Sums it up really. 5/9 of the first rounds at Brookie and finishing last for crowd numbers.
The Penns gotta do what the Penns gotta do. If people don't show up - then they got to make a profit by taking the games elsewhere.
If we were top 4 on the list then I wouldn't expect us to be taking games elsewhere. But supporters aren't showing up to Brookie games and fans aren't becoming members.

Simple really.

4 of the first 5 rounds were Saturday arvo ( and 3 different timeslots ), not a traditional afternoon to watch the footy plus we won only 1 of them.
Can't remember which game it was (v Rabbits or Raiders ) there was NO u20's or NSW Cup game on beforehand and they were still charging $32 to sit on the hill and I think it was $17 for the kids and they didn't really watch a lot of the footy. This includes the booking fee even though you're buying at the gate.
I always sit on the hill and what it costs doesn't really bother me but it must for others.
Doesn't make sense to me, surely goodwill dictates that if you want bums on seats and there's only one game on, discount the ticket.

Sports Marketing isn't that hard in my opinion, make the kids' $10 with a paying adult, give them a loyalty card, stamp it each game they attend, six stamps = 50% off a hat, scarf etc at the merch stand. I've effectively spent $60 to get them in, spent $$ on food etc and then bought a hat at cost. Plus they'll be at me to go to more games as they see the reward.
Win/win, the footy club get more bums on seats and make attending games a habit rather than a chore which in turn leads to rusted on supporters.

Also, if NYC or NSW Cup play a stand alone game at Brookie wouldn't that be an additional hire fee that would then impact on the bottom line?

Last edited:
Sadly Plodd will probably be replaced by another useless flog, whose first loyalty is to the club he or she worked for, or the powerbrokers who put him or her in that position.

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10
10 5 5 -56 10