Sea Eagles set to take more NRL matches away from Brookvale

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Eagleheart

Bencher
Dean Ritchie - The Daily Telegraph (Toilet Paper.)
August 16, 2017, 1:00pm

Manly hit the jackpot when they signed a lucrative deal for Brookvale Oval to be renamed Lottoland this year but the club is still battling to turn a profit at the ageing venue.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal the Sea Eagles are set to take a third home game away from Brookvale next season after four home matches this season failed to post a profit.

Read more:
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...l/news-story/707f44cc45f83c17af1d60e7efd323b8

I was just wondering if there were any plans to do any upgrades to Brookvale Oval, I thought Penn was working hard to make this happen? I mean it has been talked about for years now, so what is happening? Was work going to start at the end of this year? So what is it? Do we have a future at Brookvale Oval or what Mr Penn?
And another thing, will it stop at just three games being taken away, or will it go to four, or five or more? Where is the line?

I really don't trust Penn 100% and not sure if I ever will. So many promises and with the majority not coming to fruition. It seems completely about the dollar. I remember when Penn senior trumpeted out how important the Leagues Club was and that they would do anything to keep it going for the community etc, look at what's happened there. It was ALL talk......!
So with Mr Penn and the NRL sharks, I just hope more than anything at the end of the day that the Mighty Manly Warringa Sea Eagles are around for at least another 70 years and that they are based on the insular peninsula of NSW somewhere close to Brookvale....!!

Can any one see Brookie ever being upgraded? It would be a shame if they left. Guess fans are over the warm beer and cold pies lol.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal the Sea Eagles are set to take a third home game away from Brookvale next season after four home matches this season failed to post a profit.

Those four games that failed to make a profit, what games were they??
Thursday and 6pm Friday would be hard to make a profit for most clubs.
Didn't we have a home game where it pissed down the whole time? No profit there too.

Play on a sunny Sunday afternoon and fans turn up.

Manly hit the jackpot when they signed a lucrative deal for Brookvale Oval to be renamed Lottoland this year but the club is still battling to turn a profit at the ageing venue.

Read more:
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...l/news-story/707f44cc45f83c17af1d60e7efd323b8

I was just wondering if there were any plans to do any upgrades to Brookvale Oval, I thought Penn was working hard to make this happen? I mean it has been talked about for years now, so what is happening? Was work going to start at the end of this year? So what is it? Do we have a future at Brookvale Oval or what Mr Penn?
And another thing, will it stop at just three games being taken away, or will it go to four, or five or more? Where is the line?

I really don't trust Penn 100% and not sure if I ever will. So many promises and with the majority not coming to fruition. It seems completely about the dollar. I remember when Penn senior trumpeted out how important the Leagues Club was and that they would do anything to keep it going for the community etc, look at what's happened there. It was ALL talk......!
So with Mr Penn and the NRL sharks, I just hope more than anything at the end of the day that the Mighty Manly Warringa Sea Eagles are around for at least another 70 years and that they are based on the insular peninsula of NSW somewhere close to Brookvale....!!

It would be nice if our footie club was run more like a footie club than a business by the pr**** who own and manage it!

Moving home games means that home fans will unlikely attend!
Also, although not this year, but the concept of a home ground fortress is invaluable!!

It's a f****d up situation.........

The fans want the footie team to be successful on the field.

The ownership & management want the club to be successful off the field (on field success is incidental and secondary to them)

Didn't we have a home game where it pissed down the whole time? No profit there too.

Yep, sat night pissed down with 4000 odd there.

however in the income column they do not count all the unused but already paid for season tickets of which we have close to 10,000, so there is an additional 250k or more there.

Pretty sure there is a rule about how many games they can take away?
The Sea Eagles are only able to move further games away from Brookvale with the consent of the Football club. The Sea Eagles would have to put forward a proposal to take any more games other than the two that they are currently permitted under the current constitution of the club. Members like myself would have to vote on a proposal for this to happen.

It is well known that for the owners to make a profit on a home game we need to get in over 12K per game. We have only gone over that 2 times this season at home.

It is a major concern that the owners say that they are losing money on Brookvale and it goes back to the elephant in the room, will Brookvale be ever upgraded? I think we need to know one way or another soon because it is not sustainable for the club to carry on at Brookvale in the longer term without knowing. We have had 20 years of chat about the ground and we have money committed for any upgrade but not a thing has happened since Joe Kelly our previous CEO promised that the ground would be redone.

I love our home and I would hate to see us not playing there. If the club is to be viable and we are able to compete with the other clubs we need a home ground that not only makes a profit but is there in the long term. My fear is the NRL will make the decision for us if we do not see progress within the next 5 years.

Now that the state government has dropped the forced council amalgamation which affected both Manly and Warringah councils, can we please get some clarity about, will the ground be upgraded? and most importantly when?

Last edited:

Very good points.....! So are the NRL also to blame for this lack of profit, by scheduling games at crappy times?? Or what if Penn and co came up with a special deal for games that may not attract as many people?? Like a members promo, say a member brings a friend and that friend gets 50% off the gate price or something.

Anyway, weather can also have an impact for sure. Was at the game vs Knights and it was bucketing down, not a packed house that night that is for sure. But that is completely understandable only loony toons like me would attend that game in those conditions. ;)

But at the end of the day I know Penn can do whatever he wants with his own money, unfortunately at this point in time anyway until maybe someone can buy him out....!! (And not sure if he can do anything about changing the 10 games from Brookie as per the footy club ruling). But where are his main interests...is it Manly or money? And I just don't know if he is really trying to make a profit with each and every game at Brookie through careful strategy, planning and promotions or if he is just wanting to go for the 'quick cash easy option' of taking another game away? Or does he have a future endgame in sight and this is the one that is a bit of a worry for me....the not knowing where this may be headed.....!

Last edited:
I would imagine the 4 games that lost money were:

Rd.2 vs Souffs - attendance 10,183 - Saturday 11 March, 5:30PM (dry)
Rd.4 vs Dogs - attendance 9,610 - Saturday 25 March, 4:30PM (dry)
Rd.7 vs Scum - attendance 10,144 - Saturday 15 April, 3:00PM (dry)
Rd.14 vs Knights - attendance 4,189 - Friday 9 June, 6:00PM (very wet)

They were the 4 lowest attended games at Brookie this year.

Last edited:
From my understanding this may be unconstitutional and blocked by the football club

They can't move us
They can't change our name
They must have 10? Games at Brookvale
The FC has no monies to fight it in court. Which would be where this ends up, as the language in the article clearly shows. :cool:

Reminded the club’s constitution states Manly must play 10 games a year at their Brookvale base, Penn said: “That is in place but it can’t be to the detriment of the company.”

From yesterday's thread
https://silvertails.net/threads/manly-sea-eagles-300k-reason-to-move-to-christchurch.52820/page-3

Last edited:
Can any one see Brookie ever being upgraded? It would be a shame if they left. Guess fans are over the warm beer and cold pies lol.
Those of us who drive along Pittwater Road these days are dodging cranes from Dee Why to the Mall.

The 18 story high rises in DY and the 8 storey car park at the Mall show the unfortunate change in Council's height restriction from the old 3 :mad:

Brookie master plan put forward by Penn Group a while back, included a multi storey mixed commercial building behind/part of the Southern Stand.

dbce09bc5ad4e04c45883b0297676921.jpg

images (1).jpg

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...l/news-story/ca2c059226d7862ed5839778a4536075

It was knocked back at the time, but since then the council DA rules have changed.

Hopefully the council only approves this if the ownership of the new building, on council land known as Brookvale Park, is retained.:wait:

If the council allows the Penn Group to build on council land, then it should be like the St Pat's setup for lower Bower Street in Manly.
The 5 million plus houses are on leasehold land of the Church :lightbulb:

I believe that this potential gold mine commercial/residential development is a huge reason why Brookie hasn't been upgraded yet @:cool:

There has to be a limit to how many games leave brookie but more than 2 should be allowed considering our perilous finacial position. Brookie gets some good crowds but rarely sells out. The demographic on the northern beaches is more varied than ever before. Be honest the northern beaches has spoken in underwhelming numbers, over and over again.

Id like 6 boutique games at brookie. Against prominent opposition at good times, sunday arvo, maybe 5.30 sat night and to take games to brissie, nz, perth, goldie, wherever we can get good clout , share our brand and let other manly fans enjoy the experience. Oh and adelaide, needs a few games,

We have good fans all over that also love to see there team as well. Brookie never gets real numbers, and we need to stop hoping that millionaires will continue to prop up our team forever

Some people want to love our team to death

I get there are some very good fans that are institutions at brookie that will miss there team but the insular peninsular needs to think about the bigger picture or we are no better than many we bag. Rugby League and its self interests

Home ground advantage is really important, already we are handicapped by moving games to Brisbane where the Broncos get an extra home game pretty much and Perth where there are more Kiwis than our fans. If we are to shift games from Brookvale I would rather we take advantage of the Easter period where we could maybe move a game to Homebush to cash in on the crowds that go to the show. If Brookvale is not developed by 2020 I think it is highly likely that at least half of our home games will be played away from the ground as it will be the only way the club stays viable. As fans and members we need answers now and no more talk, they are either going to re-develop Brookvale or they are not!!

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8