Post-Game Discussion Sharks v Manly [Round 21, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Sharks
Vs
Sea Eagles
26 PointsBet Stadium
23 Jul 2023 16:05
80:00 minute

Match Stats

Phew, was in all sorts of bother those last 15 minutes,nightmares of the Storm and Cows games last year.
At least there were obvious reasons this time round, so in the end we won, and did so being gassed with only 1 player on the bench left.
Well done lads

How the tackle on Tent wasn't a penalty and a bin I have no idea.
That type of tackle is far worse than the so called hip drops some get pulled up for.
Plenty of teams doing it too.

And Jake's HIA and no penalty, wow............

From nrl.com........

Manly are set to be without props Taniela Paseka and Josh Aloiai for an extended period after the pair suffered injuries in their side's 30-26 victory against the Sharks on Sunday.

Paseka was taken from the field in the fourth minute with a suspected Grade 3 MCL injury after his right leg was twisted in a tackle involving Cronulla forwards Dale Finucane and Toby Rudolf.

Aloiai was taken from the field in the 62nd minute after his shoulder had dislocated on several occasions during the match.

"I think Taniela has done an MCL, obviously he needs a scan but they feel like it's a Grade 3 so that's going to be significant," Seibold said following the match.

"And Josh's shoulder has been a little bit of an issue for him this year and it came out times during the game and obviously we took him out the game the third time he came out.

"So I think we'll lose those two guys for a significant amount of time."
I thought I was watching Manly play Melbourne for a split second there.

Cronk worked closely as a player and specialty coach under/with Fitzy at the Chooks so no doubt explains his bias in the commentary box today.

As for our season and where we will finish? I think we took a big hit today in losing Paseka and (to a lesser extent) Aloiai. They'll be lucky to play again this year and we just do not have the pack to combat the loss. Lodge is obviously a plus, but a plus we needed on top of Paseka and Aloiai, not a substitution. Very disappointing as it seems every time we have a galvanising victory, it comes at a cost.

Fitzgibbon said in the presser the refs decisions were against them haha. That'll do me ! He reckons he'll be following it up with the NRL this week.

Good on the journo for asking Fitzy who was placed on report “oh I think that was Nicho, who sort of just stumbled and got his leg caught up with the player”.

Fitzy’s under the pump, I must say I’m not impressed whenever I hear him speak, and the Sharks results are starting to prove my suspicions. Embarrassing performance by him in the presser, good for a laugh though.

Cronk worked closely as a player and specialty coach under/with Fitzy at the Chooks so no doubt explains his bias in the commentary box today.

As for our season and where we will finish? I think we took a big hit today in losing Paseka and (to a lesser extent) Aloiai. They'll be lucky to play again this year and we just do not have the pack to combat the loss. Lodge is obviously a plus, but a plus we needed on top of Paseka and Aloiai, not a substitution. Very disappointing as it seems every time we have a galvanising victory, it comes at a cost.
Theres a guy called Ethan Bullemor and he found the secret on how to be the invisible man.

Seibs was obviously still disappointed in the last 25 minutes, in spite of our injury woes. The fatigue accounts for the lack of quality in our defence but I think he might be referring to some of the game management stuff that can help alleviate the amount of defending you have to do when under said fatigue.

There was a horrible kick from Croker that went dead and gave the Sharks a 7 tackle set. They marched up field and started wrestling back momentum. Then there is the Saab play-the-ball. On top of that, you got the piggy back penalties. I'm not criticising the team as they showed a lot of ticker, but we will need to be smarter in future.

Surely everyone can see that Jurbo is a prop. He is a one-trick pony: the best tackler in the business. But he never beats a player and dies with the ball far too often. Is it a tactic to use him as the fourth tackle option? It seems to me he just kills the attack. I love him dearly as a player, but lets just use him for what he is good at, tackling.
Didn't he make over 100 metres with the ball today? I thought he ran the ball pretty strongly and got through plenty of work.

Didn't he make over 100 metres with the ball today? I thought he ran the ball pretty strongly and got through plenty of work.
Yeah I thought Jake had an outstanding game. No coincidence the last 15 minutes were a train wreck without his defence in the middle. He was livid to come off too and I’m sure he’d have been thinking about the loose ruck and the Sharks coming to get us.

Now I understand why Boldy picked six props in the 17 . . . three of them were going to be injured.
Lodge was outstanding and Al was having a good match prior to the injury. Bad luck for Tent who has been very good this season.
Surely everyone can see that Jurbo is a prop. He is a one-trick pony: the best tackler in the business. But he never beats a player and dies with the ball far too often. Is it a tactic to use him as the fourth tackle option? It seems to me he just kills the attack. I love him dearly as a player, but lets just use him for what he is good at, tackling.
He doesn't even try to break the line anymore. I wonder if it's just a mental thing. He is lauded for his work rate (as he should be) but it's as if he is actively avoiding punching holes and freeing the arm like he used to.

Seibs was obviously still disappointed in the last 25 minutes, in spite of our injury woes. The fatigue accounts for the lack of quality in our defence but I think he might be referring to some of the game management stuff that can help alleviate the amount of defending you have to do when under said fatigue.

There was a horrible kick from Croker that went dead and gave the Sharks a 7 tackle set. They marched up field and started wrestling back momentum. Then there is the Saab play-the-ball. On top of that, you got the piggy back penalties. I'm not criticising the team as they showed a lot of ticker, but we will need to be smarter in future.
You can add DCE bomb towards the end of the game. Why not grubber the ball up the field over the side-line just waste time and give the guys a breather.

It was a brave win in the end. Down 2 key forwards for the last 20 minutes and the referee did everything humanly possible to give them set resets, late penalties in the count and we also panicked a fair bit too.

The Guppies are pretenders this year and now lets make sure that DCE has a memorable 300th!
We were actually down three key forwards for the last 20 odd minutes.

If Manly is serious about making a late finals charge then they have to find a prop before the transfer deadline. It's an absolute must.

If Manly is serious about making a late finals charge then they have to find a prop before the transfer deadline. It's an absolute must.
We've got Lodge, Kewpie, Jurbo, Sippers, Fainu. Not a bad lot. There's also props at Blacktown, including Condom and Lance.
I think we must play Jurbo at prop. Bring in Bully or Madison to lock, and Burbo must be close to a return.

What a heart-stopper and, all things considered, a gutsy win that we nearly didn't get. Down 3 forwards in the last quarter and with the ref giving the Sharks so many leg-ups, we thankfully managed to overcome the hurdles.

No penalty for Paseka or Jake's tackles, nor Hynes' trip and how in the presser Fitzy could claim they were unfairly done by is beyond me. Add to that the try they were awarded even though the ball was knocked on, which was conveniently ignored.

Doubt we would've won without Lodge and his acquisition sure was timely. True to his word, he played physical and hard. Well done Manly!

Agree. What about the hynes trip on koula and the tackle on Paseka. Both of them could have gone to the bom and it wasn’t even a penalty.

Agreed.

I was surprised there was no 'wishbone tackle' call on Tent's injury (as I was with Jake head hit as he stayed down and the bunker looked at it).

Fitzgibbon can go blow a sparkplug if he wants a please explain from the refs.

He sprayed his team about their lack of defence last week, and so the fact they were caught offside many times was no real surprise (and bad coaching).

Also there was a penalty in the second half where the player 'oregon' (really parents???) was not square and the ref screamed his lungs out 3+ times telling him he was not square, yet what happens....

Oregon goes in and makes the tackle...penalty Broncos Manly.

So it's an easy one for Annesley to defend - fitzy, your players were terribly undisciplined.

Now I understand why Boldy picked six props in the 17 . . . three of them were going to be injured.
Lodge was outstanding and Al was having a good match prior to the injury. Bad luck for Tent who has been very good this season.
100%. Best front-on defender in the game. But his immobility’s make him a poor lateral defender.
In attack he’s too slow with his runs, and he should get dominated in tackles far more often than he does, which happened a few times today, which killed all momentum.
He hardly ever passes & is a bad link player which ruins countless attacks.
Jerbo has amazing effort & is a team player, but he’s only good at half the game. Not worth all that money.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8