Post-Game Discussion Storm v Manly [Round 17, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Game Information

Storm
Vs
Sea Eagles
24 AAMI Park
24 Jun 2023 19:35
80:00 minute

Match Stats

Make no mistake, Pezet is a great young player. I remember watching an u18s (or 20s) SOO match a few years ago, expecting Schu to dominate. It was Pezet that was the gun in that match, so I’m not surprised that Pezet is playing well.

So, as to the reason: we inflate the present ability of Schu whilst Pezet is out of the limelight down in Melbourne learning his craft behind Hughes and Munster.

I was interested in hearing insights about this so thanks.

wondering how a 20 year old with 6 games can help carve up a side with a multiple soo winning #7 and self proclaimed wanna be best in the world number 6 in it.

the next man up mentality and actually learning about the craft would probably also have come in handy for Weekes. Same size, etc a Reece walsh yet.... (I get same size isn't = to same skill). But he's been a lower grade 'wunderkind' right up until first grade and now the coach isn't going to pick him as fb for the rest of this year.

You know what else we won't hear from Pezet? His manager agitating in the media for an upgrade or a release.

Rather than a short term pre season 'bonding gain' by hauling a few trucks on a dirt road, maybe it'd better to get into structures and the like.

I suppose we can blame the forwards...or whomever it is this week.I dunno.

/rant

He isn't a forward he can't tackle or bust tackles. He is just a big half who doesn't use his size
He can tackle in bunches and his tackling numbers were better when he was in the forwards because he was not sliding, becoming isolated and getting found out 1on1…

He can bust a tackle on the edge occasionally and, more importantly, has an offload…

Kid has skills but his tackling is killing us and they need to find a way to haemorrhage the damage… Mitchell Moses was pretty much a carbon copy at the Tigpies - although Mitch always had speed and his kicking game has always been better (range wise)

Croker at 6 for me, his defense would have saved at least two tries last night and we know his kicking game is spot on when he uses it. Big Shu looks like Tarzan, plays like Jayne.

The team found a way to win without Turbo in 2019. Week two of the finals where we were royally screwed over by the bunker. We were finding a way to win without Turbo last year as well, but then management decided to play funny buggers with our jersey.
And it’s not like we were really winning with him this year either. Apart from the game v Canberra and parts of dolphins, Tom has been pretty ordinary this year. Tom would not have pushed Oates or Warbrick out the way Reubs did in the first coming across. In fact I recall many instances where Tom had failed in those effort areas early in the year.

I was actually pretty pleased with us for about 50minutes then we really fell away.

Just reinforces my thoughts that the frustrating/disappointing thing about this team is their mentality and commitment.

They have talent is spades, they just can't seem to get their head it the game.

Bad news is commitment, hard work and competitive spirit trumps talent 90% of the time.

Lots of work to do.

Interesting quote from Seibold:

"Rueben was outstanding, with his efforts off the footy. He made a try-saving tackle on Xavier and he came across on Will Warbrick there - obviously he got the ball away for their first try. Rueben will have the No.1 [jersey] going forward for the rest of the season and he can build some combination and cohesion. He will be better but I really liked his start," - Sea Eagles coach Anthony Seibold.

Interesting because it was obvious in 2022 that Garrick was THE replacement for Thomas Peter Turbo all along. Not Weekes.

I was actually pretty pleased with us for about 50minutes then we really fell away.

Just reinforces my thoughts that the frustrating/disappointing thing about this team is their mentality and commitment.

They have talent is spades, they just can't seem to get their head it the game.

Bad news is commitment, hard work and competitive spirit trumps talent 90% of the time.

Lots of work to do.
I'd say about 58 minutes, till then it was 6-10 but that was when Schu stood aside so big Nelson could run through. For me that was the lowlight of our game. It's not unusual to see halves get steamrolled or trampled by giant backrowers but you don't get trampled if you don't try to get in front and that's why players like Moylan and Nikorima (and Moses in his earlier years) are always targets when defending in the line.

Aside from that moment I thought Manly's effort was very good. Storm's other tries were from kicks, plus a moment of brilliance from Warbrick. Both their wingers were great actually.

Manly were excellent early in controlling field position but not effective in attack. True we had another changed spine, and DCE backing up, but by this stage of the season wouldn't our much-vaunted attack coach have taught everyone some basic structures so even with next man up something still works? Maybe I'm not giving enough credit to Storm defence.

"Rueben was outstanding, with his efforts off the footy. He made a try-saving tackle on Xavier and he came across on Will Warbrick there - obviously he got the ball away for their first try. Rueben will have the No.1 [jersey] going forward for the rest of the season and he can build some combination and cohesion. He will be better but I really liked his start," - Sea Eagles coach Anthony Seibold.

Interesting because it was obvious in 2022 that Garrick was THE replacement for Thomas Peter Turbo all along. Not Weekes.
Not particularly a Sieb defender but at least the minute Tom was injured long term he’s put Reubs to fb. Last week it was the right thing to do to keep him at Centre given his showing vs the phins. Said after watching last year that Reubs is a pretty solid fb package and would prob start there at plenty other clubs.

I was wondering whether Weekes was picked at fullback this year as a way of him gaining experience and gradually integrating him into the first grade side.

But with Tom out for the season we can't afford to keep waiting on Weekes to be ready so Seibold has gone back to the more reliable Garrick.

Last week he had the option of choosing Harper in the team - with Garrick dropping back to fullback - just like last night.

It’s unlikely that we would have beaten Parramatta, but the scoreline might have been somewhat closer.

It should not have been a decision (if indeed it was) based on Garrick’s form the previous week
vs the Dedcliffe Rolphins. It should have been a decision last week, based on who was best suited where, vs Parramatta.

I was wondering whether Weekes was picked at fullback this year as a way of him gaining experience and gradually integrating him into the first grade side.

But with Tom out for the season we can't afford to keep waiting on Weekes to be ready so Seibold has gone back to the more reliable Garrick.
Thanks for explaining to me my own argument.;)

Last week he had the option of choosing Harper in the team - with Garrick dropping back to fullback - just like last night.

It’s unlikely that we would have beaten Parramatta, but the scoreline might have been somewhat closer.

It should not have been a decision (if indeed it was) based on Garrick’s form the previous week
vs the Dedcliffe Rolphins. It should have been a decision last week, based on who was best suited where, vs Parramatta.
Weekes or Harper in. It was a toss up really. Most here would have gone with Weekes at the back of of thought.

Just like the Eels last week. we are slow, and lack any kind of cohesion. I think the cheat Flannagan is playing games with Spoony. Can you imagine Bellamy keeping him as an assistant with everything going on?
The Roosters walked Ryles as soon as he had signed with the Storm for 2024, that’s what professionally run teams do.

It’s not a kindergarten where you don’t want to offend anyone.

I can see us winning against the Tigers. That will probably be our only win for the remaining season.

I can see us winning against the Tigers. That will probably be our only win for the remaining season.
really?? I can’t see us beating them at all. We only just beat them last time - shouldn’t have really. And what team do you think has improved more since then. I’ll give you a hint, it ain’t us.

Come to think of it, they were in the game, well into the 2nd half. It was Keppie, coughing it up on tackle 2, then Schuster doing his “turnstile” impersonation, that began downward slide.

There’s something going on behind the scenes. About half the players are really trying and the other half seem to be just going thru the motions. They don’t look like a team that’s together. They’re more like a collection of small playing groups/cliques, that are playing in the same team.

The coaches have a big job ahead of them and it’ll take another season or to. Until the players decide to pull together and be personally accountable for these constant mistakes, it will be more disappointing results.

Actually hows this for an idea.

DCE to retire at seasons end and become Coach.

Steve Menzies Assistant Coach.

Cliffy Lyons - Halves Coach

Mark Carroll - Forwards Coach
Really now, well, for a start, DCE is contracted for another two years after this year, so what do we do about the one million a year in the salary cap that we lose as DCE is still a contracted player?.
Another thing, no one in the list you provided has had any coaching experience whatsoever, let alone NRL experience

Looked promising for a good part of the i st half , effort and commitment was certainly there and largely had the Storm's measure . Did not take much unfortunately to go backwards again with a couple of costly errors and defence not being able to cope accordingly and then Manly "s game falling away in general . D C E could not have done much more to lift the side , Shu as a half however is still way too far off the pace to really lift the side . Bully has been showing even more agility on his feet and attacking effectiveness recently , think that it would be absurd to not try to have him signed up for quite a bit longer but still does not seem to be happening . Credit to Woodsy showing some real enthusiasm and input in the early stages at least . Harper certainly has uped his defensive resolve , shame that Koula is not able to get just that extra bit of opportunity in attack , solid all round player . Not sure why Condon was elevated ahead of Sam Fainu , Croker tried his heart out again . Just so disappointing that Manly again showed what such an inconsistent side they are , not sure what the answers are , hope someone else can come up with them to impart on the playing squad .

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8